SportsWrath

David Tyree may not make the team this year

BleedinBlue

According to kffl, Sirius Radio on the NFL network said that Tyree will start the season on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list.

The Giants aren't going to let Tyree get away and at the same time, it looks like there'll be one more roster spot for the youngsters to fight over.

If Tyree isn't 100%, he'll be a drag on the team so this certainly seems like the best option.

Hixon > Tyree

I like Tyree, and saying I appreciate his play in the SB would be an understatement, but this is a business, we have only so many WR slots, and I want another SB victory. If TC and the staff decide the team is better off with Tyree on the PUP (doubtful if he is healthy), or just cut him, then so be it. Regardless, he'll always be one of my favorite Giants.

Hixon > Tyree

I like Tyree, and saying I appreciate his play in the SB would be an understatement, but this is a business, we have only so many WR slots, and I want another SB victory. If TC and the staff decide the team is better off with Tyree on the PUP (doubtful if he is healthy), or just cut him, then so be it. Regardless, he'll always be one of my favorite Giants.

How is Hixon better than Tyree? Because he can return kicks?

Really there's no way to determine if he's better than Tyree on kick coverage because the only way we could see that is if we have coach's film and are able to re-watch the ST plays.

No love for Jennings? He was really impressive last pre-season. I hope he's fully healed.

I'll give him love for the practice squad. Why put him ahead of ANY of your high potential prospects?

Michael Jennings might not make the team either, but that is the way it goes in the NFL. I do not believe Tyree has much to worry about since his competion has shown so little so far.

Knee scope.

Wtf is that? HOW did he get injured?

arthroscopic knee surgery. some players just develop these type of conditions over time and have to get it treated at some point.

in one case its a blessing that it gives us a real chance for our young talented receivers to show what they got and still keep tyree.

I'll give him love for the practice squad. Why put him ahead of ANY of your high potential prospects?

I am almost certain Grillz can't be put on the practice Squad anymore. I think if you make the team for a certain amount of games then you are ineligible but I could be wrong. It's too bad about last season because it seemed he was going to make the team for sure. Well I guess he has the ring now to go with his teeth.

How is Hixon better than Tyree? Because he can return kicks?

Really there's no way to determine if he's better than Tyree on kick coverage because the only way we could see that is if we have coach's film and are able to re-watch the ST plays.

Hixon was arguably our best gunner last year. Add to that the kick returning, and that's why I say he's better than Tyree.

Tyree & Hixon are good on ST but I think Jennings is the better receiver of the three, at least from what I've seen. When it comes down to who makes the roster he may get edged out though, which is unfortunate.

Hixon was arguably our best gunner last year. Add to that the kick returning, and that's why I say he's better than Tyree.

I don't think you really know who was better at gunning tyree or hixon.

we have a few players that are capable of taking KRs on this team to replace hixon. and tyree's been in the sytem forever, has chemistry with eli, and actually has proved to be a decent WR.

Yeah, Tyree isn't going anywhere. He's a true gamer and has done enough for the Giants on Special Teams and even when they have given him the chance at WR, to keep his spot on the roster ahead of players that are unproven commodities.

I see the 2008 WR corps being:

Burress

Toomer

Smith

Manningham

Tyree

DJ Hall*

This is where the battle will be. And it will be primarily between DJ Hall, Domenik Hixon, and Sinorice Moss. I see the Giants carrying 6 WRs this year just as they did last season. I'm giving DJ Hall the nod here, because I think he has the highest ceiling. But it will be tough for the Giants, because Hixon is a good kick returner and that is valuable trait from your last WR, and the front office loves Sinorice, apparently. Either way, I think this is an exciting bunch of receivers we will be fielding.

It's really hard to argue that Hall has a higher ceiling than Moss considering the Giants paid what amounted to a 1st round pick for Sinorice whereas Hall went undrafted.

I love his attitude. He told the coaches he wants to be a Giant so badly that he's willing to take any position even it's the equipment manager or even their waterboy if that's what it takes to be part of this team.

Plus, he's signed for minimum salary, unlike the millions made by those he is competing against, like Moss.

Millions. Really? Sinorice Moss' cap number this year is $890,000.

Hall will be on the team in some way shape or form, and he is a future starter for this team at WR. Maybe not a 1 or 2 WR, but he'll be getting significant PT as a WR for us in the years to come.

Those are some high expectations for a guy that was undrafted.

Tyree is not making the minimum.

Money, you're back, back me up on this, go to the Super Stat machine and find out.

Tyree is set to make $1.2 million this year. If you were to cut Tyree in favor of Hall, you're saving less than $1 million. That's less than 1% of the $117 million salary cap. There's no way that money will be the deciding factor for which WRs are kept...

It's really hard to argue that Hall has a higher ceiling than Moss considering the Giants paid what amounted to a 1st round pick for Sinorice whereas Hall went undrafted.

Hey Money, that's just my opinion. It doesn't count for much. I just view Moss as an under-sized, wrong-way running, injury waiting to happen.

I always like receivers with some size. DJ Hall has decent size and he put up good numbers in college with an ok quarterback versus the best competition in college football (in the SEC). I just think he could be a player, where I look at Moss as a guy who's just not ever going to make it.

Hey Money, that's just my opinion. It doesn't count for much. I just view Moss as an under-sized, wrong-way running, injury waiting to happen.

I always like receivers with some size. DJ Hall has decent size and he put up good numbers in college with an ok quarterback versus the best competition in college football (in the SEC). I just think he could be a player, where I look at Moss as a guy who's just not ever going to make it.

Fair enough, but there's a reason why Sinorice Moss was the 44th player drafted while Hall was passed 255 times.

Every year some undrafted guy generates too much hype for whatever reason, only to ultimately lose out on a roster spot. It's just way too early to get excited about guys who the team didn't even see fit to draft, regardless of their collegiate success...

Fair enough, but there's a reason why Sinorice Moss was the 44th player drafted while Hall was passed 255 times.

Every year some undrafted guy generates too much hype for whatever reason, only to ultimately lose out on a roster spot. It's just way too early to get excited about guys who the team didn't even see fit to draft, regardless of their collegiate success...

On the other hand we've already seen Moss in action and it's not exactly a high benchmark to surpass.

I'm pretty sure he's ineligible for the PS.

You'd be correct in that assumption. Jennings is no longer eligible for the practice squad and IIRC he HAD to make the team last year because he wasn't eligible then.