SportsWrath

The Boston Globe summarizes this years Giants

BleedinBlue

Most interesting as this story comes from the land of the Patriots who are still reeling from their SB loss to the Giants.

A couple of things I picked up from the article (for those who don't like to read the whole thing):

- TC says Kiwinuka could be moved back to DE should Strahan retire

- Reese is using the philosophy of Bill Walsh to build the Giants team

- Wilkenson has been given the starting position unless someone takes it away from him

- Guy Whimper is looking to take over LT from Diehl

- team is expecting big things from Sinorace Moss

Anyway.....here's the story.

A Giant challenge awaits

Can they script sequel to 'fairy-tale' ending?

By Mike Reiss - Globe Staff / June 1, 2008

Maybe it was the road they traveled to win Super Bowl XLII - how they caught fire at just the right time after an up-and-down regular season - that has contributed to the feeling that the New York Giants aren't likely to repeat in 2008.

Giants players seem to have picked up on the vibe. They sense a lack of respect among prognosticators, but general manager Jerry Reese indicated it isn't such a bad thing.

"I do think we've gotten a lot of credit but, obviously, some people are thinking it might have been a fairy-tale season, or maybe the quarterback is not that good, or the defense is not that good," Reese said Friday, the day after the Giants received their sparkling Super Bowl rings in a Manhattan ceremony.

"It probably helps us with people saying we're not better. It gives players an edge, a chip on our shoulder to prove we're a pretty good football team."

Reese agrees that the Giants benefited from great timing, putting it together as a complete team - offense, defense, special teams - when it truly counted. No team played better down the stretch.

The performance underscored what Tom Brady has said when reflecting on the Patriots' Super Bowl runs: The real season starts after Thanksgiving, and the goal to that point is simply to stay in contention.

The challenge for the Giants now appears to be twofold. Can they duplicate their impeccable timing? And how will they respond to the "defending champion" label that Reese said might as well be a bull's-eye.

Unlike some past Super Bowl champions, the Giants have not suffered major personnel losses.

The big hits came when starting safety Gibril Wilson signed a big-money deal in Oakland, starting weak-side linebacker Kawika Mitchell departed for Buffalo, and top backup linebacker Reggie Torbor inked a contract in Miami.

And, of course, the question remains whether defensive end Michael Strahan will return for a 16th season; but even if he retires, few teams can call on a player the caliber of Justin Tuck (6 tackles, 2 sacks in the Super Bowl) to fill the void.

In adding to the foundation of his championship team this offseason, Reese focused mostly on defense.

Veteran Sammy Knight was signed as insurance for Wilson. Knight, 32, will likely open the season starting alongside returnee James Butler, but second-year man Michael Johnson and 2008 first-round pick Kenny Phillips - who could be a steal at the No. 31 spot - might alter those plans with strong performances.

Reese said second-round pick Terrell Thomas (Southern Cal) is focusing solely on cornerback. Some clubs viewed Thomas as a safety, but Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo likes "long-armed guys who can put their hands on receivers and slow them up," so the 6-foot, 202-pound Thomas will compete for time there.

At the weak-side linebacker spot, Reese said it's third-year player Gerris Wilkinson's job to lose. Wilkinson appeared to break through in the regular-season finale last year against the Patriots, playing in place of the injured Mitchell. Veteran Danny Clark was also signed and has experience at all three linebacker positions in the Giants' 3-4.

Former Boston College star Mathias Kiwanuka, coming off a broken leg that shortened his 2007 season to 10 games, will remain at the strong-side linebacker spot for now, while also playing as a pass-rushing end on third down.

"He gives us a lot of flexibility," Reese said. "We've seen a lot of progress from him there, but at the same time, if Strahan decides to retire, he could still be moved down [to end]."

On offense, there was little turnover, just some lingering questions about tight end Jeremy Shockey, who broke his left leg and missed the Super Bowl run. The Saints inquired about acquiring Shockey, but Reese said he expects Shockey to return as the starter.

The offensive line, which was especially impressive in the Super Bowl, returns intact at the starting and backup spots. Look for third-year man Guy Whimper to make a run at the left tackle job that was admirably held down by David Diehl last year.

Looking for a player to emerge on offense? Sinorice Moss isn't a bad choice, as Reese expects the 2006 second-round pick "to really come on this year."

As for his personnel philosophy, Reese said, "I always look back to Bill Walsh and how he built his teams [in San Francisco], trying to create competition at every position."

----------------------------

And for your entertainment: (for some reason, the You Tube link above isn't working today....hmmmm) - anyway, click the old fashioned way:

He is right that we can't rely on getting hot at the right time to make another run. We have to be more consistent during the season... especially seeing how tough the NFC east is going to be.

I absolutely can't wait until the December 14th Sunday night showdown in Dallas.

I wonder about some of this:

Secondary coach a couple of weeks ago said that right now, the starters on the secondary would be James Butler and Michael Johnson.

I believe I read a few weeks ago, that converting back Kiwi to DE was off the table, which has something to do with the Giants looking at guys like Renaldo Wynn etc.

I'm sure that the Giants would love to see Whimper come on and challenge Diehl, because if it pans out they could move Diehl inside again. Which makes the resigning of Snee kinda interesting in case he doesn't agree to terms.

Tom Brady wrote this under a pen name, he's still unsure exactly how many people were hitting him.

:LMAO:

Good one VG.

Yeah this article lost all credibility when the author cited our 3/4. We did run a 3/4, before LT retired of course.

:LMAO:

Good one VG.

Yeah this article lost all credibility when the author cited our 3/4. We did run a 3/4, before LT retired of course.

and for thinking sinorice moss will have a breakout anything.

The article talked about the Giants in a 3-4 defense. Last I checked we ran a 4-3.

Yeah.....I picked up the same thing. I wonder if the writer actually watches the Giants games.....and he had to at least watch the SB which of course we ran the same old 4-3.

Anyone else think they should be thinking of grooming Whimper for RT? McKenzie won't be here much longer.

He signed a 7 year deal in 05 right? He's still playing at a high level and I think that's what we're doing with Whimper anyway.

Did you hear McKenzie's name once this year? He's a stud.

Surprising coming from Patriot land, all i hear on NESN 2 A.K.A Espn are shots at the Giants. Even John Clayton having the nerve to put us 10 on his power rankings Mort may have us lower not sure.

i f-ing love this.. as long as i been a giants fan. we never get any respect.... i cheer for underdogs which why i love it..