SportsWrath

A Shockey Trade Deal Still Cooking?

BleedinBlue

SAINTS STILL WANT SHOCKEY

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2008, 4:28 p.m.

Though the New Orleans Saints weren’t able to swing a trade prior to or during the 2008 draft for Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, the Saints reportedly remain highly interested in acquiring the player.

Writes Jimmy Smith of the New Orleans Times-Picayune Sunday edition, “Coach Sean Payton believes Shockey is a perfect fit for the Saints’ offense, and he still desperately wants the player to be wearing a black-and-gold uniform this season.”

The full quote from the newspaper:

League sources indicate the Saints' pursuit of Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey did not end when a draft-day deal between the clubs could not be reached. Coach Sean Payton believes Shockey is a perfect fit for the Saints' offense, and he still desperately wants the player to be wearing a black-and-gold uniform this season. Shockey has informed the Giants of his unhappiness, and apparently unwillingness, to play again in New York. Don't be surprised if the trade is finalized in the coming weeks. According to New York's Newsday, Shockey has four years remaining on his five-year, $26.3 million contract extension, including $1.9 million due this season. . .

But while a trade could still happen, the price tag would surely be higher in 2009 picks than it would have been with 2008 selections. Absent a significant offer of picks from next year’s draft, the Giants could just keep Shockey at a relatively reasonable $1.9 million base salary for the coming season, and then trade him in March or April.

The other problem is that trading Shockey could expose the Giants to a depth issue, if Kevin Boss were to break a leg or tear a tendon or rupture a spleen or puncture his scrotum. And that’s why the Saints might ultimately have to ship a tight end from their own roster to New York in order to seal the deal, especially since the Giants didn’t draft any tight ends.

Any FA tight ends still available, should this actually happen?

Also, don't forget we've got some money under the cap... and June 1st is approaching. :evilgrin:

Where is everyone getting these cool ass smileys??

Also, don't forget we've got some money under the cap... and June 1st is approaching. :evilgrin:

Yeah....I was wondering the same thing. Even though the Giants picked up 15 UDFA's, I don't think that even one was a TE (I'll have to check). But with all the first cuts coming up, there'll be a few veteran TE's on the market as well as a few who didn't make a team because there was enough room.

Where is everyone getting these cool ass smileys??....BIGBLUE

When posting, the smiley's are to the left young man, just look to your left! :doh:

No one worthwhile gets released on June 1st anymore.

Yeah....I was wondering the same thing. Even though the Giants picked up 15 UDFA's, I don't think that even one was a TE (I'll have to check). But with all the first cuts coming up, there'll be a few veteran TE's on the market as well as a few who didn't make a team because there was enough room.

When posting, the smiley's are to the left young man, just look to your left! :doh:

I know where the smileys are, but I dont see the sinister one, or the one with the fro etc.

If Darcy Johnson is healthy, then the team might be content to enter the season with Boss, Matthews, and Johnson. Then again, it might make sense for the Saints to throw in Eric Johnson, who could help to replace to the pass-catching production we'd be losing.

That said, unless the Saints are willing to part with next year's 1st or Jammal Brown, the deal won't happen this year.

If Darcy Johnson is healthy, then the team might be content to enter the season with Boss, Matthews, and Johnson. Then again, it might make sense for the Saints to throw in Eric Johnson, who could help to replace to the pass-catching production we'd be losing.

That said, unless the Saints are willing to part with next year's 1st or Jammal Brown, the deal won't happen this year.

Will this same guy make up the minimum 2 dropped passes per game?

Im just KIDDING folks, I couldnt resist.

I know where the smileys are, but I dont see the sinister one, or the one with the fro etc.
On your left....where all the smileys are...there is a "show all" thing at the top. Click it and it opens a new window with a larger selection of smileys :afro: :evilgrin:

Decisions, decisions...

Trade a very good, but very disgruntled, currently injured player that we proved we did not need to win a Super Bowl, or keep him (and his ample distractions) on the team....

I remember when people were dreading what our running game would look like without Barber. We found out that Jacobs & Co., were more than adequate. Similarly, we got a glimpse of life without Shockey late last year, and it was one of the best Giants memories I'll ever have.

Up the ante, and swing the deal, Jerry Reese (you emgrate!).

We haven't prepared for the loss of Shockey; he's a big part of our normal offense and most importantly, TE is currently a strong suit for us.

I don't believe that we're going to get an offer we can't refuse for him. Besides, he's still Jeremy Shockey and this team and its fanbase wants him back here.

I'm skeptical that he'll retire a Giant, but then again I would have said that about Howard Cross too.

We haven't prepared for the loss of Shockey; he's a big part of our normal offense and most importantly, TE is currently a strong suit for us.

I don't believe that we're going to get an offer we can't refuse for him. Besides, he's still Jeremy Shockey and this team and its fanbase wants him back here.

I'm skeptical that he'll retire a Giant, but then again I would have said that about Howard Cross too.

I understand what you're saying.

Here's the rub - if he doesn't want to be here, I won't shed a tear to see him go. And while I'll grant that he's a good tight end, by no means will this team be somehow diminished if we can obtain decent talent in a trade.

His individual stats are impressive, but still, I think some people overestimate his value to the team. Shockey has been on the field for some of my worst memories (the San Fran playoff meltdown), and sulking off the field during my best memories (Tampa-Dallas-GreenBay-Patriots).

If we don't swing a trade, and he stays, and gets his fucking head straight, then fine. Otherwise, so long pal, good luck wherever you go.

Shockey is reportedly upset because he's been asked to block. Well, sorry Jeremy, but you're a fucking tight end, not a wideout. Do you think Phil Simms was thrilled with being saddled with mediocre receivers for most of his career? I bet Phil would have loved being on the 49ers instead of a team that asked him to complete 3rd and 12's while getting drilled in the chest at least three times a game. And just like Jeremy, Phil had to sit out a SB victory with an injury. But nobody heard him bitch and whine about it.....because he was a teammate, and not a primadonna. Simms was happy for the team; Shockey has hurt feelings....boo-fucking-hoo. That's the difference between a guy like Simmsl and a guy like Shockey.

Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor felt this franchise was good enough to play their entire careers here.... Shockey won't be mentioned in the same sentence as either of them 20 years from now.

On your left....where all the smileys are...there is a "show all" thing at the top. Click it and it opens a new window with a larger selection of smileys :afro: :evilgrin:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bleedin. I have never noticed that MOST OBVIOUS link to moe smileys. :rolleyes:

:wacko::afro::blush::cheers::freaked:

We'd be complete idiots to trade Shockey now.

Not really. His value is higher right now than it will be at the end of the season....especially to a team who thinks he's the last piece to the puzzle to make them a contender. Trade him now, we'll get a first rounder and probably a 3rd or 4th with it or possibly a solid player that fits our scheme. Trade him after the season and he's worth a 2nd round pick....presuming he isn't hurt again.

Regardless.....football isn't like baseball. In baseball, individualism is okay. But in football....it's all about cohesiveness and playing as a team. To be a team player, one cannot second guess the coaches and one must do their particular part in every play....even if it doesn't bring glory to themselves.

Shockey is a very good football athlete who lacks team football sense and has an ego the size of Mt. McKinley. He disrupts the team and second guesses the coaches because he thinks he's a prima donna and wants to be the star of the show.....all individualism. That is precisely why the Giants excelled after he went down. Those left on the field just wanted to be a team player and do their role. One cannot possibly talk enough about the importance of a player putting his ego aside for the betterment of the team. Shockey ain't going to do that! I say "trade him while he still has good value"! He's one more broken leg from being almost useless to the team in trade value. And unless his attitude changes (very little chance) he will continue to be disruptive to the team, to Eli, and to the coaches.

as of now, we haven't had any talent drop offs in any of the positions this offseason. We've essentially taken a Super Bowl team that is extremely young, and bettered it. Trading Shockey now for future draft picks only makes this current team worse(yes I know, Shockey wasn't around for the Super Bowl run), but you can't deny that we would have been a better team with Shockey, he just makes plays.

as of now, we haven't had any talent drop offs in any of the positions this offseason. We've essentially taken a Super Bowl team that is extremely young, and bettered it. Trading Shockey now for future draft picks only makes this current team worse(yes I know, Shockey wasn't around for the Super Bowl run), but you can't deny that we would have been a better team with Shockey, he just makes plays.

Here's what I think...

amd_kevinboss.jpg

Is Brown a RT or LT?

Not really. His value is higher right now than it will be at the end of the season....especially to a team who thinks he's the last piece to the puzzle to make them a contender. Trade him now, we'll get a first rounder and probably a 3rd or 4th with it or possibly a solid player that fits our scheme. Trade him after the season and he's worth a 2nd round pick....presuming he isn't hurt again.

Regardless.....football isn't like baseball. In baseball, individualism is okay. But in football....it's all about cohesiveness and playing as a team. To be a team player, one cannot second guess the coaches and one must do their particular part in every play....even if it doesn't bring glory to themselves.

Shockey is a very good football athlete who lacks team football sense and has an ego the size of Mt. McKinley. He disrupts the team and second guesses the coaches because he thinks he's a prima donna and wants to be the star of the show.....all individualism. That is precisely why the Giants excelled after he went down. Those left on the field just wanted to be a team player and do their role. One cannot possibly talk enough about the importance of a player putting his ego aside for the betterment of the team. Shockey ain't going to do that! I say "trade him while he still has good value"! He's one more broken leg from being almost useless to the team in trade value. And unless his attitude changes (very little chance) he will continue to be disruptive to the team, to Eli, and to the coaches.

If we could have gotten a 1st round pick for him, he would be gone by now. No team in their right mind would pay that much for him (especially if your diatribe about his selfishness holds true), let alone include an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. We're talking about a good, not great, TE that has battled injuries, finished last year on IR, turns 28 in August, and watched his team go on an improbable Super Bowl run without him. He just doesn't carry that much value on the trade market.

On the other hand, he's very valuable to us because he is a good player and decidedly better than the other players at his position. He's a fan favorite and terrific blocker (even if he dislikes doing it). He's well-liked by his teammates, all of whom have publicly stated that they want him back.

I tend to agree with Storm that it makes no sense to trade him now because we have no recourse for replacing him. If someones cracks and makes a great offer, then it's worth strongly considering ... but the great offers aren't surfacing for the aforementioned reasons.

Is Brown a RT or LT?

He's a LT.

He and Shockey seem like a pretty even swap. Both are 27 years old, former Pro Bowlers, top 15 picks, Oklahoma natives. But, much like our predicament with Shockey, the Saints would be foolish to trade Brown since they have no ammunition for attaining a viable replacement.

I understand what you're saying.

Here's the rub - if he doesn't want to be here, I won't shed a tear to see him go. And while I'll grant that he's a good tight end, by no means will this team be somehow diminished if we can obtain decent talent in a trade.

His individual stats are impressive, but still, I think some people overestimate his value to the team. Shockey has been on the field for some of my worst memories (the San Fran playoff meltdown), and sulking off the field during my best memories (Tampa-Dallas-GreenBay-Patriots).

If we don't swing a trade, and he stays, and gets his fucking head straight, then fine. Otherwise, so long pal, good luck wherever you go.

Shockey is reportedly upset because he's been asked to block. Well, sorry Jeremy, but you're a fucking tight end, not a wideout. Do you think Phil Simms was thrilled with being saddled with mediocre receivers for most of his career? I bet Phil would have loved being on the 49ers instead of a team that asked him to complete 3rd and 12's while getting drilled in the chest at least three times a game. And just like Jeremy, Phil had to sit out a SB victory with an injury. But nobody heard him bitch and whine about it.....because he was a teammate, and not a primadonna. Simms was happy for the team; Shockey has hurt feelings....boo-fucking-hoo. That's the difference between a guy like Simmsl and a guy like Shockey.

Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor felt this franchise was good enough to play their entire careers here.... Shockey won't be mentioned in the same sentence as either of them 20 years from now.

GREAT post. :TU:

Here's what I think...

amd_kevinboss.jpg

:unsure:

What? You expect to replace J. Shockey with a player with only 11 career catches (Jeremy had 12 against the Cowboys alone). You want to replace Shockey with a player who had more drops in the playoffs (4) than Shockey had all year (3). You want to replace J. Shockey with a player who can't block to save his life.

Right before the Giants vs Cowboy playoff game, the Defensive coordinator of the Cowboys came on a local radio station and admitted in the first game they so were committed in eliminating Jeremy Shockey that it left Burress wide open. In one play, he said they called for Shockey to be almost triple teammed. In the second game they decided not to double team Shockey and got smoked. Kareem McKanezyeven said you can see teams game planning for Shockey and not Boss. An we want to replace Shockey with a TE who can't catch, who can't run, who can't block. But some how he's better than Shockey. :rolleyes: He's not even 1/20 of the Athlete or football player Shockey is. Not even close...

And now Shockey is a bad teammate because he wants to be more involve in the passing game. So when Toomer went to the media and said the samething "he just wants to help the team.," With Shockey "he's a distractions to Eli." So when Jerry Rice would yelled at S Young for the ball he was a "Playmaker." It like my old high School coach use to say "Show me receiver who doesn't want the ball and I'll show you a player sitting on the bench."

Now we hate Shockey because he wants to be traded. I mean, is this really the first time we've seen this before. In fact Phil Sims, Harry Carson, LT all resquested to be traded at one point. Hell, Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry had to go to a local bus station and convince Sam Huff not to quite the team.

Some of you guys act as if this is your first year watching football. My God...

Its funny how everyone who wants him gone says that he said, " I dont wanna be a Giant." Yet, I have yet to see a link to an interview or comment where he said that. :confused: Yeah, he doesnt wanna be on a contending team. He wants to go to a shaky Saints team with an uncertain future instead of staying with the Giants. Bullshit.