SportsWrath

A Shockey Trade Deal Still Cooking?

BleedinBlue

Obviously most QB's have audible authority, but instead of saying this is what we want you to do unless you see something else available. Give him a package of plays and let him call the game for a few drives, see what happens. I know they've done it in the past, but with out any regularity. It's usually a gimmick to get him ot of a slump.

I think Eli is smart enough and experienced enough to know what he likes, does well and what will just lat out work for him. I'd just like to see what he does for say, 1 half, not necessarily no huddle, but that should definately be a part of it.

There's a reason why QB's have been stripped of play-calling duties. It's a tall order because no QB has the same knowledge of the opponents as the coach's do. He's not equipped to make in-game adjustments because he doesn't have time to process the constantly changing information. Plus, like just about every other QB, he's never been trusted with the responsibility of calling plays...

I don't doubt he's smart enough, but I don't think he's earned the amount of responsibility that Peyton does because he's been too inconsistant.

Even the extent of Peyton's responsibilities are somewhat overblown. On each down, he's given a choice of only three plays: two runs and one pass. He selects the play at the LOS based on the defense, and then he calls out the blocking assignments or protections ... hence his pre-snap soliloquy. And he has the most influence on play selection of any QB in the league. It's just a reflection of how complex defenses have become; unlike the good old days, QBs cannot be trusted to coordinate on offense because they are such an information disadvantage.

Even the extent of Peyton's responsibilities are somewhat overblown. On each down, he's given a choice of only three plays: two runs and one pass. He selects the play at the LOS based on the defense, and then he calls out the blocking assignments or protections ... hence his pre-snap soliloquy. And he has the most influence on play selection of any QB in the league. It's just a reflection of how complex defenses have become; unlike the good old days, QBs cannot be trusted to coordinate on offense because they are such an information disadvantage.

It's still a tremendous amount of responsibility he has. Not since Jim Kelly has a QB had that much influence on play selection. And yes, I know Jim Kelly had most of his plays drawn up before pre game but it's still a huge task.

It's about to get worse now that the defensive captain is going to start getting plays over the helmet, if you think about Spags's influence just signal calling, imagine when he starts calling in plays into Pierce's helmet.

It's still a tremendous amount of responsibility he has. Not since Jim Kelly has a QB had that much influence on play selection. And yes, I know Jim Kelly had most of his plays drawn up before pre game but it's still a huge task.

It's about to get worse now that the defensive captain is going to start getting plays over the helmet, if you think about Spags's influence just signal calling, imagine when he starts calling in plays into Pierce's helmet.

Personally, I love the new rule where the defense also gets up-to-the-second info piped right into his helmet. It forces the game to continually refine itself leading to great games. It will always be a physical game, but it is also becoming a much more intellectual game. Sorta like a highspeed chess game in which you are allowed 3 seconds to make your move and you are dealing with the likes of a Cray computer or Garry Kasparov.

It requires extreme intellectualism on the sidelines by the coaches combined with players who can quickly change to fit a specific role that will lead to wins. Football is a team sport like no other....IMHO!

Personally, I love the new rule where the defense also gets up-to-the-second info piped right into his helmet. It forces the game to continually refine itself leading to great games. It will always be a physical game, but it is also becoming a much more intellectual game. Sorta like a highspeed chess game in which you are allowed 3 seconds to make your move and you are dealing with the likes of a Cray computer or Garry Kasparov.

It requires extreme intellectualism on the sidelines by the coaches combined with players who can quickly change to fit a specific role that will lead to wins. Football is a team sport like no other....IMHO!

IMO, it's going to redefine the middle linebacker position. I mean it makes the most sense that he's now the QB on defense.

IMO, it's going to redefine the middle linebacker position. I mean it makes the most sense that he's now the QB on defense.

Isn't the rule only that one defender with a headset is allowed on the field at a time?

If so, there is a possibility of having multiple "QBs" on defense, depending on the set. Or, a 4 down player other than a MLB, like a safety being the defensive QB. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dawkins gets the headset on the Eagle's D...

Should be interesting.

This season, Eli's performance was Chris Palmer's responsibility, not Gilbride's (Palmer is the QBs coach).

Isn't the QB Coach primarily responsible for mechanics, not plays?

I was harder than most on Eli for the first half of the season (never to the point of demanding a trade or anything stupid like that) and I put a lot of the blame on him for inconsitant offensive performances. But at the end of the day it's Gilbride's job to oversee the QB & TE & WR & RB & OLine Coaches and get the whole offense firing on gameday, which he failed at for a large part of the season.

A SB ring heals the wounds for most people but I truly think we could do better and I'm not confident that we'll stay on track while he's in charge. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

Isn't the rule only that one defender with a headset is allowed on the field at a time?

If so, there is a possibility of having multiple "QBs" on defense, depending on the set. Or, a 4 down player other than a MLB, like a safety being the defensive QB. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dawkins gets the headset on the Eagle's D...

Should be interesting.

I believe the rule is that any defender can be the QB on defense, but they must declare themselves before a play. So yes, someone like Strahan could be the one. But I know from another interview Pierce did is that he's very excited about it, so chances are it's gonna be him. Pierce rarely ever comes off the field anyway.

I don't know about Dawkins, how's he gonna start yelling at the d-line to make adjustments and not take himself out of position.

Isn't the QB Coach primarily responsible for mechanics, not plays?

I was harder than most on Eli for the first half of the season (never to the point of demanding a trade or anything stupid like that) and I put a lot of the blame on him for inconsitant offensive performances. But at the end of the day it's Gilbride's job to oversee the QB & TE & WR & RB & OLine Coaches and get the whole offense firing on gameday, which he failed at for a large part of the season.

A SB ring heals the wounds for most people but I truly think we could do better and I'm not confident that we'll stay on track while he's in charge. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

It's an unclear delineation of job specificiations, especially since Gilbride was formerly the QB coach before replacing John Hufnagel. From my understanding, the position coach relates all the mental and physical responsibilities of the position to his players. So when Eli is struggling with his mechanics and missing open receivers, it really ties the OC's hands regarding what plays he can call.

Conversly, the OC has the more general task of studying the opponent, developing the gameplan, implementing the gameplan, and calling plays/making adjustments during the game. In that regard, it's extremely difficult to place the development of the QB (who seemed to turn out pretty good in the end) exclusively on the OC since he is in charge of the entire offense -- 11 starters and upwards of 10 reserves. He can't focus his energy on one player, especially when that player has a position coach.

I believe the rule is that any defender can be the QB on defense, but they must declare themselves before a play. So yes, someone like Strahan could be the one. But I know from another interview Pierce did is that he's very excited about it, so chances are it's gonna be him. Pierce rarely ever comes off the field anyway.

I don't know about Dawkins, how's he gonna start yelling at the d-line to make adjustments and not take himself out of position.

Hopefully they where the circular neon sticker. I like that thing.