SportsWrath

DJ Hall signed by Giants today

BleedinBlue

I've added a wide reciever out of Alabama, DJ Hall to the list of undrafted players signed by the Giants, but not getting any comments so I thought I'd start a separate thread for just him.

This could be the biggest after-draft catch of the Giants. Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams said about the signing, "I fully expect DJ to make the roster." I don't think this is good news for Sinorice Moss.

Depending on which writeup you read on him, he's 6-2 or 6-3, and has run the 40 in 4.48 or 4.53. Regardless, he has some big time play making ability and he's played against the toughest competition at the college level.

Giants Sign D.J. Hall

Here's another writeup on him

DJ Hall WR 6'2 193 4.53

By: Robert Davis

Hall caught 17 passes for 186 yards and a touchdown as a freshman in 2004. Hall became a playmaker as a sophomore, upping his numbers to 48 catches for 676 yards and five touchdowns. Last year as a junior, Hall hauled in 57 passes for 1,014 yards and five touchdowns on his way to All SEC 2nd team honors. He caught a career high 63 passes as a senior for 947 yards and six touchdowns.

Hall has a nice blend of size, speed, and athleticism. He has shown to be a go to receiver, making big plays when called upon and making them all over the field. His height gives him an advantage over most corners, but he still has the speed to get open and to outrun defenders to get down the field. Hall has very good hands, showing the ability to hold on to the ball in tight coverage and making the difficult grab.

Hall is still a bit lanky and will need to bulk up to go over the middle on a consistent basis in the NFL. He may not be able to take the beating from NFL safeties or linebackers if he doesn’t get stronger.

Hall is a player that has gotten better every year, and still has room left to improve. If he can add a little more weight, he could be an all around playmaker in the NFL. He had a solid showing at the combine keeping himself in the fourth round area.

And a couple of vids:

The Giants always seem to do a good job bringing in UDFAs to compete. It seems like these past couple seasons a UDFA has stepped in to fill in for an injured starter and has done a good job.

It sure is nice having a good front office. Thank god we are not Raiders fans.

I could definitely see him making the team. He needs to put on 15-20 lbs like Mario but that shouldn't be too hard. There's some concern about his attitude but I hope he wises up and leaves that in his past. I like what I've seen from him and alot of people thought he would get drafted in the middle to late rounds.

If this guy is as good as those videos show, how come he wasn't drafted?

Again....questionable attitude. Teams are avoiding players with off field issues like it was a plague. Giants are taking some risks, such as last year with Ahmad Bradshaw and earlier this week with Manningham.

It helps the attitude problem right out of the gate that the guy wasn't drafted. Nothing will knock you down faster than to be a star player at a huge football school, playing against the toughest competition, in the toughest conference, in front of 100,000 screaming fans, and then being projected to be an early second day draft pick....but then go undrafted. It's a reality check and hopefully, he decides to grow up and make it to the NFL.....wearing blue of course.

This is where a Coach Cheerleader can definitely shine as he can come across as the authoritative, somewhat distant yet available to the younger guys for a tough talk, pat on the back and/or a kick in the ass. His style really works well for the kids without boundaries....better get used to dress socks and being at meetings 15 minutes before start time me bucko. LOL.

By the video, he seems noticeably faster than Manningham.

The book on him....for what it's worth....is that he has a different style than Manningham and is very fast once in the open air. Manningham has wicked cuts and can change directions on a dime, whereas Hall does more of a swoop turn then accelerates. In open space, he would beat Manningham on a long run.

During the combines some scouts complained that he didn't cut directions quick enough. On the other hand, he was one of the only (if not thee only) WR's who caught every single ball thrown at him from every concievable angle.....and the throws were not always on target. He has fly-paper hands.

I found out a little more about his "off field issues". Apparantly he is inflicted with "Shockey Syndrome". He was the best offensive player (actually, best player on the whole team) at a huge football school and he believed he was bigger than life. There was a coaching change just before his junior year and he did not like the new coach and opened his mouth about it.....a lot. Apparantly enough to get a few suspensions for insubordination. Then....just like Shockey....he complained incessantly that he wasn't given the ball enough.

If he can come down off his high horse and realize he is in a position of a lifetime, to gain a rewarding NFL career by just keeping his mouth shut and listening to his coaches and never second guessing them....he could be a star in the making. Not to mention, an instant and lifelong millionaire instead of just another unemployed man standing in line with hundreds other men fighting for the same 40k a year job that will turn into 65K after 20 years or so of service.

His teammates - those who went to the NFL last year and his current teammates were shocked that Hall wasn't drafted and believed he was a top tier WR.

A quote from Hall: "I'm just ready to go," Hall said. "I'll show a lot of people. The whole thing was crazy. What can I do about it now but prove them wrong."

Hopefully, the "in-his-face" dis will put a fire under his feet and a determination to prove the entire NFL wrong for not drafting him.

The book on him....for what it's worth....is that he has a different style than Manningham and is very fast once in the open air. Manningham has wicked cuts and can change directions on a dime, whereas Hall does more of a swoop turn then accelerates. In open space, he would beat Manningham on a long run.

During the combines some scouts complained that he didn't cut directions quick enough. On the other hand, he was one of the only (if not thee only) WR's who caught every single ball thrown at him from every concievable angle.....and the throws were not always on target. He has fly-paper hands.

I found out a little more about his "off field issues". Apparantly he is inflicted with "Shockey Syndrome". He was the best offensive player (actually, best player on the whole team) at a huge football school and he believed he was bigger than life. There was a coaching change just before his junior year and he did not like the new coach and opened his mouth about it.....a lot. Apparantly enough to get a few suspensions for insubordination. Then....just like Shockey....he complained incessantly that he wasn't given the ball enough.

If he can come down off his high horse and realize he is in a position of a lifetime, to gain a rewarding NFL career by just keeping his mouth shut and listening to his coaches and never second guessing them....he could be a star in the making. Not to mention, an instant and lifelong millionaire instead of just another unemployed man standing in line with hundreds other men fighting for the same 40k a year job that will turn into 65K after 20 years or so of service.

His teammates - those who went to the NFL last year and his current teammates were shocked that Hall wasn't drafted and believed he was a top tier WR.

A quote from Hall: "I'm just ready to go," Hall said. "I'll show a lot of people. The whole thing was crazy. What can I do about it now but prove them wrong."

Hopefully, the "in-his-face" dis will put a fire under his feet and a determination to prove the entire NFL wrong for not drafting him. This aint college no mkore

I for one am glad his problems were more from the mouth. Not because I want a bigmouth on the team, but with the Giants org. being so good at setting players straight, his problems would be the least of our worries. He's definatley got the talent, and hopefully his draft snub will wake him up. This aint college no more D.J. its the bigs.