SportsWrath

Are sports writers stupid?

Lubeck

I am getting pretty tired of reading how the Giants lost their two starting OLBs this offseason. I can't think of one writer who has been able to correctly identify Torbor as a BACKUP.

Wasnt Reggie a starter because Kiwi went down? Maybe thats what theyre referring to.

Wasnt Reggie a starter because Kiwi went down? Maybe thats what theyre referring to.

My definition of a "starter" is a player who tops your depth chart at the beginning of the season, not a player who starts games filling in for the injured starter. By labeling him a starter they misrepresent his importance to the team and make it seem like the Giants lost their #1 and #2 OLBs. They didn't.

Here's an article from a sports writer that you will like. He is basically saying exactly what you are saying. He writes for MVN.com

Why The Giants will not take Dan Connor

By Sean O'Sullivan | April 6th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Just like last year myself and many other Giant fans were tired of seeing the Giants get a Penn state LB in what seemed like every mock draft. What is more painful to me is most of these so called experts analysis of the Giants selection saying that we lost 2 starting LB’s in the off-season which obviously isn’t the case. Us Giants fans know that Reggie Torbor was essentially a special teams player that provided depth at the LB position while with the Giants. Now when Mathias Kiwanuka gets hurt and Torbor fills in nicely he all of a sudden was a starter all along? I mean no disrespect to Reggie Torbor and I’m sure I speak for every Giants fan when I say I really respect the way he played down the stretch, but I just don’t know where people are getting this.

I may be in the minority in this but I feel that LB isn’t a real need for the Giants. I felt the same way last year as well when everyone was predicting us to take a LB. What people don’t understand is that in the system that Spags’ runs having top LB’s isn’t necessary. He comes from the Jim Johnson system and the Eagles haven’t drafted a LB high or had a top LB in years. With our defense being based off of the same scheme I doubt you see the Giants drafting a LB high once again.

Another reason I don’t feel LB is a big need is because the projected starters for this years Giants team could have very well been last years as well. Many Giants fans were eager to see Gerris Wilkinson and Kawika Mitchell battle it out in training camp to see who would start at WLB but Wilkinson got hurt and through the year Mitchell played well enough to not lose the job. Wilkinson will be back healthy this season and I am excited to see what he can do because he has shown flashes and last year Antonio Pierce publicly endorsed him as the starting WLB for the Giants.

With all that said of all the LB’s the Giants could possibly take Dan Connor would be the worst fit and I’m very tired of seeing the pick predicted. The Giants defense for LB’s is based on being able to blitz and being athletic enough to cover. Dan Connor is more of a MLB and has been labeled that by many scouts but he could also play WLB in the NFL. Connor is not nearly as fast or athletic as Gerris Wilkinson and would not be an upgrade. Connor also struggles in coverage at times and is not a great blitzer which as I mentioned are exactly what the Giants need at LB. He doesn’t have fluid hips to turn and run in man coverage and also has minor character concerns which will hopefully keep the Giants away. He is a little overrated as a prospect because he is coming out of ”LB U”. Connor might end up being a good pro in the NFL, but he doesn’t belong in this system.

I am getting pretty tired of reading how the Giants lost their two starting OLBs this offseason. I can't think of one writer who has been able to correctly identify Torbor as a BACKUP.

Let's hope they make the same mistake when it becomes time to pass out the compensatory picks next year.

My definition of a "starter" is a player who tops your depth chart at the beginning of the season, not a player who starts games filling in for the injured starter. By labeling him a starter they misrepresent his importance to the team and make it seem like the Giants lost their #1 and #2 OLBs. They didn't.

Im with ya man, I just thought maybe thats what they meant.

I doubt it. Sports writers aren't the brightest bunch. There are very few who I think even understand what they are writing about.

Google Gayle Jansen on Fox10 in AZ. THE ABSOLUTE most clueless person reporting sports in the world. <_<

Remember they kept calling Justin Tuck "jason tuck". :huh:

Half of those guys don't even know

their own name. Very few smart

talk heads!!! very few :mellow:

Tom Brady sure knows his name and address; if I was Justin I would check my car every morning before starting the engine as Old Tom may try for a permanent solution to Tuck induced chest burns. :o

Tom Brady sure knows his name and address; if I was Justin I would check my car every morning before starting the engine as Old Tom may try for a permanent solution to Tuck induced chest burns. :o

yes Justin (jason :rolleyes: ) should starting using mass transit

if it all possible. Brady has the money

to get it done very clean.

I'm in shock. It must be the Spagnuelo/Super Bowl high that so many people are on.

I remember years of Giants drafts where so many people had the Giants drafting at least one linebacker on the first day of the draft and always had a linebacker in mind for round one with the exception of the year we picked up Eli and the following year we didn't have a first round pick. Now you guys aren't looking for a linebacker on day one?

Have rest of you finally awoken from the dream of the return of the 3-4 defense.

If so, thank God.

I'm in shock. It must be the Spagnuelo/Super Bowl high that so many people are on.

I remember years of Giants drafts where so many people had the Giants drafting at least one linebacker on the first day of the draft and always had a linebacker in mind for round one with the exception of the year we picked up Eli and the following year we didn't have a first round pick. Now you guys aren't looking for a linebacker on day one?

Have rest of you finally awoken from the dream of the return of the 3-4 defense.

If so, thank God.

With Spags signed on for the next few years and having such a super effective 4-3, I can't think of one good reason the Giants would even toy with the idea of going to the 3-4.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the Giants picked up a linebacker, but probably not in the first. I expect a safety, CB or lineman to be grabbed with our first pick.....it will all depend on who is left on the board at 31.

Sports writers, movie critics, and music critics can all be lumped into the same group; bitter, no talent hacks that couldn't make it but want to make a career in the field. If sports writers/analysits were so fucking smart, why isn't anybody knocking down their door to coach? Everybody is a genius after the fact.

If so, thank God.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me what Mel Kipers day job is, how is this guy making a living, it can't be from his draft predictions.. :P

Kiper spends most of the day crushing cans with his head. Rumor has it that his hair helmet is stronger than Jimmy Johnson.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me what Mel Kipers day job is, how is this guy making a living, it can't be from his draft predictions.. :P