SportsWrath

This is interesting....

Virginia Giant

Giants | Team showing interest in J. Walker

Sat, 1 Mar 2008 20:37:42 -0800

Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the New York Giants are showing interest in free-agent WR Javon Walker (Broncos), according to a source..

From KFFL. But they also say the Bucs, 49ers, Eagles and Redskins all show interest.

Source: NFC East teams among those showing interest in Walker

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

Updated: March 1, 2008, 12:30 PM ET

While the Randy Moss free agency watch continues, more than a third of the league has its eye on Javon Walker.

At least 10 teams have been in contact with the agent for the wide receiver who was released Friday by the Denver Broncos, including all four NFC East clubs, according to a source.

The 49ers, Bills, Bucs, Panthers, Raiders and Vikings also have reached out to agent Kennard McGuire regarding Walker. No visits had been scheduled as of early Saturday.

The Cowboys and Eagles have a couple connections working in their favor in pursuit of Walker. Dallas receivers coach Ray Sherman coached Walker in Green Bay. Walker is friends with Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and the two have been training together in Arizona for several weeks.

Among the others teams showing interest, Walker is said to be intrigued by the prospect of playing in Mike Martz and Jon Gruden directed offenses in San Francisco and Tampa, respectively.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

I think if we're in this at all, it's to raise the price on Washington/Philly/Dallas. Then again, it's the agent saying this, so the interest might have been like this:

"How much is Javon looking for?"

"8 Million a year."

"Have a nice day."

I hope that's the interest we have in him, anyway. I would be fine with our starters, and want receivers to develop. Walker hasn't played a full season in what, 2 years? I just don't think he's what we need.

Not that my opinion means anything to the NYG Front Office but there would have to be three absolutes for me to agree with signing Walker.

1. Amani Toomer decides to retire. No way in hell do I want to see Toomer's role reduced to a 3rd WR and there's no way the Walker accepts that role. Also if we were to sign Walker while Toomer was still on the roster that would reduce the amount of time that Steve Smith gets on the field and Eli obviously felt comfortable with him during the season and especially in the Super Bowl.

2. Javon Walker is 1000000000000000% healthy. A lot of knee problems and Shanahan has stated that Walker may have a microfracture that will require additional surgery.

3. Walker comes in for the right price and Shuts The Fuck Up.

That is all.

Not that my opinion means anything to the NYG Front Office but there would have to be three absolutes for me to agree with signing Walker.

1. Amani Toomer decides to retire. No way in hell do I want to see Toomer's role reduced to a 3rd WR and there's no way the Walker accepts that role. Also if we were to sign Walker while Toomer was still on the roster that would reduce the amount of time that Steve Smith gets on the field and Eli obviously felt comfortable with him during the season and especially in the Super Bowl.

2. Javon Walker is 1000000000000000% healthy. A lot of knee problems and Shanahan has stated that Walker may have a microfracture that will require additional surgery.

3. Walker comes in for the right price and Shuts The Fuck Up.

That is all.

I pretty much agree with this. I DEFINATLEY want Smith to be our #2 WR if Toomer retires, but if he doesnt, Walker would need to be a #3 WR, and Im not even sure I like the idea of him ahead of Smith. IMO, we sould leave thw WR corps alone. Givin time, Moss may do some things and we already know what Tyree is capable of.

We still have no speed at the WR position...I think that's probably what the Giants FO is going for if they're showing interest in Javon...Moss is a blazer but never is on the field...I feel like Burress can stretch the field because of his size, but Toomer and Smith are both possession WR, IMO...we have no burners.

We still have no speed at the WR position...I think that's probably what the Giants FO is going for if they're showing interest in Javon...Moss is a blazer but never is on the field...I feel like Burress can stretch the field because of his size, but Toomer and Smith are both possession WR, IMO...we have no burners.

I had a thread a month or two ago about bringing Javon to the Giants. I love this guy. Big and fast, he's just like Plaxico. He'd be Plaxico-lite on the other side of the field. I'm not sure why some people are so worried about moving Amani to the slot and bumping S. Smith down one. This isn't Madden. It's not about stats. It's about the NY Football Giants winning football games and getting better. Adding a guy of Javon Walker's caliber to the team would make us more dangerous and help us win more games. You guys know how much I like big and fast wide receivers. They are not as plentiful around the league as one might think, yet most all of the top performers in the NFL statistically have the size and speed of Owens, Plaxico, Moss, and yes, Javon Walker. Amani is advancing in age and is a possession receiver. There is nothing wrong with moving him to the slot. Or have Javon in the slot. The Giants run a lot of 3-WR sets, so there should be plenty of catches for all of them. Steve Smith is the insurance policy in case someone gets hurt. And then when Amani does retire (which will probably be at the end of the upcoming season, I think this is the final year of his contract), he will move up to be the slot receiver. Besides, with the plays Smith has made, he's also had some pretty critical drops. To me, he has done an ok job, but he hasn't warranted a starting spot yet. Just imagine Plaxico and Javon Walker with Toomer and Shockey on the same field. That would be amazing. Dare I say it would be even better than what the Patriots had last year as a group of receivers. So I for one, salivate at the opportunity to add Javon! Time to make a move, G-men!

I agree that adding Walker would be awesome. We'd have the most offensive weapons of any team in the NFL.....just think, Plax, Walker, Amani, Smith....plus Shockey/Boss.....plus Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward(?). Offensively, we'd be unstoppable...especially if we got a top shelf LT to potect and give Eli even more time to throw.

The downside is that Reese has repeatedly stated (and his sentiments are echoed by the entire Giants staff) that they are not going to "go too fast", "make snap decisions" or "overpay" for anyone.....so they'll wait it out. Unfortunately, only about 8 other teams are vying for Walker's services which means he'll be pricey.

Someone on this board replied to me that "no team builds around 1 player", but I disagree for the most part. The Giants are building a team around Eli and they have been ever since we got him. Therefore, we've shored up the offensive line...picked up Plax...picked up Moss and Smith....all to help Eli. Of course, on the defensive end of the game, it isn't about Eli.

Regardless....the fact that the Giants are even entertaining the thought of Walker shows me that they are not done looking for ways to help Eli become a superstar by adding more recievers. And that's is a good thing! :TU:

I had a thread a month or two ago about bringing Javon to the Giants. I love this guy. Big and fast, he's just like Plaxico. He'd be Plaxico-lite on the other side of the field. I'm not sure why some people are so worried about moving Amani to the slot and bumping S. Smith down one. This isn't Madden. It's not about stats. It's about the NY Football Giants winning football games and getting better. Adding a guy of Javon Walker's caliber to the team would make us more dangerous and help us win more games. You guys know how much I like big and fast wide receivers. They are not as plentiful around the league as one might think, yet most all of the top performers in the NFL statistically have the size and speed of Owens, Plaxico, Moss, and yes, Javon Walker. Amani is advancing in age and is a possession receiver. There is nothing wrong with moving him to the slot. Or have Javon in the slot. The Giants run a lot of 3-WR sets, so there should be plenty of catches for all of them. Steve Smith is the insurance policy in case someone gets hurt. And then when Amani does retire (which will probably be at the end of the upcoming season, I think this is the final year of his contract), he will move up to be the slot receiver. Besides, with the plays Smith has made, he's also had some pretty critical drops. To me, he has done an ok job, but he hasn't warranted a starting spot yet. Just imagine Plaxico and Javon Walker with Toomer and Shockey on the same field. That would be amazing. Dare I say it would be even better than what the Patriots had last year as a group of receivers. So I for one, salivate at the opportunity to add Javon! Time to make a move, G-men!

That's just the thing. If this WAS Madden I wouldn't give a shit. Hell I would've signed Randy Moss, traded for DeAngelo Hall and found a way to get a high 1st round pick. It's not about stats, it's about the growth of our young receivers in Moss and Smith and not having enough footballs for the receivers that we would have.

Four WR's will get plenty of time on the field and by week 3, at least 1 WR will probably be injured. Half way through the season, we'll be lucky to have 3 WR's at full strength. It's a position that is highly injury prone and you can't make assumptions that all we need is 3 frontline receivers and all will be well.

Adding someone like Walker will spread the field and free up Plax who gets doubled up a lot. It would be a nightmare for opposing teams. Likewise, it will be a nightmare for the Giants if the Cowboys get Moss.

He's "agreed to a deal".

Source: Ex-Bronco Walker agrees to 6-year deal with Raiders

ESPN.com news services

Updated: March 4, 2008, 9:49 PM ET

Wide receiver Javon Walker, released by the Denver Broncos on Friday, agreed to a deal with the division-rival Oakland Raiders on Tuesday, a source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

The terms of the deal call for Walker to receive a six-year, $55 million contract that includes more than $16 million in guarantees and pays him roughly $27 million over the first three years of the deal.

Soon after being released, at least a third of the league reached out to the six-year veteran.

Injuries limited Walker to eight games last season and he finished with 26 catches for 287 yards and no touchdowns.

He started the season with two 100-yard games before missing two months following a third knee operation.

Beginning his career with the Packers, Walker played two seasons in Denver. He had 69 catches for 1,084 yards and eight TDs the first season. But the offseason was punctuated by tragedy. Involved in a drive-by shooting soon after the season ended, teammate Darrent Williams died in Walker's arms.