SportsWrath

Spags going to the Skins?

Nas

I don't see how on earth the Skins don't make him an offer.... I sure hope the Giants FO does the same thing the Cowboys did to their OC... we should lock up Spags as the eventual successor to Coughlin.

I don't see how on earth the Skins don't make him an offer.... I sure hope the Giants FO does the same thing the Cowboys did to their OC... we should lock up Spags as the eventual successor to Coughlin.

Does anyone really think he's going to agree to be a HC on a team where he can't even pick his own staff? I think he'll be rewarded by the Giants and stick around. After next season a better job will most surely open up. If he takes that job then he's nuts.

If he takes that job then he's nuts.

They say there's a thin line between genius and crazy, so I'm with Nas. Offer him the world to keep him even if it takes a written guaranteed HC job. That guy can really tweak a defense in the middle of the game.

They say there's a thin line between genius and crazy, so I'm with Nas. Offer him the world to keep him even if it takes a written guaranteed HC job. That guy can really tweak a defense in the middle of the game.

I've been saying this since the rumors started, to lock him up like Dallas did with Garrett.

Not only can he tweak the defense and show a willingness to adjust, the players really love playing for him. That is huge.

I've been saying this since the rumors started, to lock him up like Dallas did with Garrett.

Not only can he tweak the defense and show a willingness to adjust, the players really love playing for him. That is huge.

I'll say. Did you see Strahan hug him and pick him up after the game last night? They love this guy, and rightfully so.

I really don't think he will. The talent and potential on this defense is amazing. If they play every game the way they did last night, they will shatter records.

Just imagine of Jerry Reese follows this with another superb draft with a nice addition to our defensive backfield. Webster is looking super and Ross is a great addition... just imagine with a solid Bob Sanders-like would do for this defense.

Just imagine of Jerry Reese follows this with another superb draft with a nice addition to our defensive backfield. Webster is looking super and Ross is a great addition... just imagine with a solid Bob Sanders-like would do for this defense.

And if Gibril starts hitting people the way he did his rookie year....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Snyder really wants Spag he can fork out a bunch of dough. There's no salary cap for coaches. The Giants would have to pay Spags much more than they pay Tom Coughlin.

Of course the decision would come down to more than just money. But whatever anyone says millions of dollars is definitely a factor.

If Snyder really wants Spag he can fork out a bunch of dough. There's no salary cap for coaches. The Giants would have to pay Spags much more than they pay Tom Coughlin.

Of course the decision would come down to more than just money. But whatever anyone says millions of dollars is definitely a factor.

Very true.

I think it will come down to this - Mara and Tisch will advise Spags that he'll become the next head coach of the Giants if he stays.

Very true.

I think it will come down to this - Mara and Tisch will advise Spags that he'll become the next head coach of the Giants if he stays.

Aren't they giving Coughlin a big extension?

I think it's pretty uncommon to guarantee someone a future head coaching job. Everyone thought Williams had the same kind of deal.

Why I think it's uncommon is it undermines the current head coach. And if for some reason the defense slides than you've guaranteed someone a future job etc. etc. etc.

I think if they offer Spags the job it will come down to one thing. Does Spags like the staff the Redskins put together since he won't be able to assemble it?

And if he doesn't like the staff does he not like it so much that millions of dollars can't make up for it?

I think it's pretty uncommon to guarantee someone a future head coaching job. Everyone thought Williams had the same kind of deal.

Why I think it's uncommon is it undermines the current head coach. And if for some reason the defense slides than you've guaranteed someone a future job etc. etc. etc.

I think if they offer Spags the job it will come down to one thing. Does Spags like the staff the Redskins put together since he won't be able to assemble it?

And if he doesn't like the staff does he not like it so much that millions of dollars can't make up for it?

Good points! Maybe we can just offer him millions to stay. There's no guarantee he'd make even a decent HC anyway. Bill Arnsparger might have been the best DC that ever was, and he was a terrible HC.

Good points! Maybe we can just offer him millions to stay. There's no guarantee he'd make even a decent HC anyway. Bill Arnsparger might have been the best DC that ever was, and he was a terrible HC.

That's true. Head coach and co-ordinator are very different things. He could suck as a head coach. There are a bunch of examples. We had Pettibone after Gibbs first time around (he was promoted to head coach). I think we only one 1 game that year.

Whomever we get I just hope it isn't Fassel. :brooding:

I can't stand coaches who never take responsibility. It seemed when he was the Giants coach he never blamed himself for anything and than in Baltimore he said the reason the offense wasn't good is that he didn't get to do what he wanted.

I also didn't like him guaranteeing that the Giants would get into the playoffs.

You've definitely brought up some valid points. And perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm giving it a 60/40 chance he stays, and my "logic" goes like this:

I'm probably missing a few head coaches, but if memory serves, Marty Schottenheimer, Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, and even the immortal Joe Gibbs have tried and failed under Dan Snyder ["failed" might be too harsh a judgment on Gibbs, but you get the idea]. I'm sure before he pulls the trigger, Spag's will look at what is offered, versus the situation he is leaving, and then make a decision.

If the decision is based upon money alone, then the Redskins job would probably be a done deal. Nobody throws money around like Snyder. But if Spags makes his decision based upon which organization will best prepare him to be a successful NFL head coach, then you've got to think he is going to stay with the Giants.

To Snyder, Spags is just another hot commodity, to be used, retained, or discarded. To the Giants, he's the next Bill Belichick, or at the very least, John Fox. We both know that the Maras were considering dumping Fassel to retain Fox....and Fox's defense got pounded by a mediocre Ravens club. What length would they go to keep Spags?

A lot of this will hinge on Coughlin's mindset. I expect the situation with Coughlin to turn much more complicated given the Spags situation. I'm only going off what I've seen and read about the guy, but you've got to think that Coughlin would be honest with ownership concerning his future. In other words, I would expect him to tell Mara, Tisch, and Reese if he would accept a senior position in the front office after he gets tired of coaching. In a best case scenario, Coughlin gets a boatload of cash, and coaches two more seasons, and then hands it over to Spags.

Of course, that just might not be the way the Giants operate. But I know for sure that they regret losing Belichick and Fox. But then again, they might figure Coughlin can get an adequate replacement.

All of this begs the question, though - how much of the defensive effort was Spags, and how much should be credited to Coughlin and the players?

Not to take anything away from Spags - I've had a mancrush on him since I heard his defensive philosophy - but it's not like the Giants all of a sudden learned how to play defense. How much credit should go to Accorsi, who hit homeruns with Osi, Tuck, Wilson, Kiwinuka, and Webster, and signed Pierce? Or Reese, who nailed it with Kawika Mitchell and Aaron Ross? How much credit goes to Coughlin for finding a bright young coach who shared his hard-nosed defensive philosophy?

Is it fair to compare the systems of Johnson and Spags, and look at the respective personnel of the Eagles and Giants? Will the system fall apart, will the defense forget what it's been taught, do we have any assistants that can take his place.

Just a ton of questions.

Following the amazing upset of the Patriots, it just goes to show that in the NFL, there is only one certainty - Dan Snyder is a douche bag.

You've definitely brought up some valid points. And perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm giving it a 60/40 chance he stays, and my "logic" goes like this:

I'm probably missing a few head coaches, but if memory serves, Marty Schottenheime, Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, and even the immortal Joe Gibbs have tried and failed under Dan Snyder ["failed" might be too harsh a judgment on Gibbs, but you get the idea]. I'm sure before he pulls the trigger, Spag's will look at what is offered, versus the situation he is leaving, and then make a decision.

To be accurate. Spurrier was in D.C. for years and years before Snyder and did horrible. He had more than enough time to show what he could do.

Spurrier, I seriously doubt Snyder is the reason Spurrier failed. Spurrier failed because he didn't even know the defensive players names and gave zero protection to the QB.

Gibbs, did not fail. He went to the playoffs 2 out of 4 years so that's pretty decent.

Schottenheimer went 8-8 and quit/resigned when he didn't want to allow a GM.

What would be good for Spags is a couple of things.

1. Money

2. A team with some good and young talent.

3. An owner who isn't skimpy on paying for what the coach wants.

Downside.

1. A big pressure fan base (but so is New York).

2. He wouldn't be GM and the staff is already pretty much in place.

But as for Snyder getting into the coaches business. Other than Norv Turner when has he ever done that?

He let Spurrier, Marty, and Gibbs run the team.

The longer this goes on the more I think were loosing him.

I'm feeling it too. I just hope he's kept quiet to keep the focus on the Big Dance, and will let it be known he's not interested in the next day or so.

Do coaches have agents too? I guess they must.

Spags will not go to the 'Skins. Not after so many people chanted "Redskins

Suck" when they saw him. I and about 10 other people started to chant

"You gotta stay" when we saw him.

Almost got his autograph too. :(

He'll probably have $5 million reasons to go to Washington.

Word is he spoke to Snyder for 90 minutes on the phone and just flew to Washington. Will stay at Snyder's tonight, have dinner and discuss more in the morning.

Word is he spoke to Snyder for 90 minutes on the phone and just flew to Washington. Will stay at Snyder's tonight, have dinner and discuss more in the morning.

Because all that spending has gotten your team a trophy. ;)

QUOTE(mikmak @ Feb 5 2008, 07:29 PM)

They will probably serve SPAGhetti

I heard Snyder is paying for Spag's lap dances as well.

Guys we have to think that this is just procedure of Snyder's. I gotta believe nobody in there right mind would take a HC job without being able to hire his own coachs. Two other prospects have been given 3 interviews. Now hear me out, I know Snyder is the biggest moron in sports, but he couldn't be that fucking moronic could he?