SportsWrath

Cryboys to move up in draft?

so-cal dub

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

---link---

I really hope they do. That would tear their draft apart and they'll lose a probowl RB in Barber.

So Dallas is looking at trading away the heart and soul of their offense, plus two first round picks for an unproven back just coming out of college.

Sounds like Jones' genius is at work again. :TU:

Seriously. The Cowboys need to hire a competent General Manager to oversee

this kind of personnel decision. Boy, I'm so sure the Cowboys were thinking they

would have a top five pick when trading with the Browns last year.

Ok, let's allow the expert to make some sense out of this.

First off, we all know JJones wants his ring and won't stop to get him. If he feels Dfads is the one missing piece from the puzzle, then that's his guy (and the Arkansas ties don't hurt either.) For anyone who doesn't see why they're willing to dump Barber, Marion proved in the Division game that he is 2 back system Runningback, not a feature back. Sure, his second half drought could have been the result of an exhausted O-line, desperate playcalling, or the Gmen stepping it up on D, but at least some of it has to be attributed to Barber being worn out and needing to be spelled.

That being said, as GreyHoodie said, the one positon Miami doesn't need help at is seemingly at RB. Everybody on my Dolphins board is freaking out about Ronnie Brown not being the same player he was before the injury because its an ACL. I personally think he'll be fine. I don't know if you guys remember, but through about 6 games, he lead the lead in yards from scrimmage with about 3 consecutive 200 yard games. The Rickster is a joke, and I expect nothing out of him aside from maybe a trade. They guy I'm looking at is 3rd round pick Lorenzo Booker. Did great catching but not much running. So yea, we could use Barber back there, especially because he and Brown are very different backs.

On top of all that, none of the "elite" prospects this year fit Miami's system. If Tuna wants a 3-4, Dorsey's services won't be maximized because its difficult to interrupt the line from that position and he'd be a slow DE. Chris Long doesn't fit the size requirements for BP. There's no point in getting Dfads because of this trade scenario, leaving Jake Long and Matt Ryan. Ryan my be good, but I don't think anybody believes he's worthy of the first overall selection, and from what I've been hearing, Miami doesn't want to shell out 60 million for an OT that's never played a down.

I'll take the 2 firsts, 2nd, and a 1st or 2nd and 3rd next year along with Barber, Bobby Carpenter (another name I've heard) or another player, in return for the pick. Please remember that I hate the Dallas franchise as much as any of you, so I want to rape them in this deal.

If we don't trade: As of January 27, 2008, I want Jake Long. (if we keep the 4-3, Dorsey for sure...not that any of you guys care about Miami opinion lol)

I'll take the 2 firsts, 2nd, and a 1st or 2nd and 3rd next year along with Barber, Bobby Carpenter (another name I've heard) or another player, in return for the pick. Please remember that I hate the Dallas franchise as much as any of you, so I want to rape them in this deal.

If we don't trade: As of January 27, 2008, I want Jake Long. (if we keep the 4-3, Dorsey for sure...not that any of you guys care about Miami opinion lol)

Feel free to take as many draft picks from them as you can, and Barber. Hell, take Carpenter, too.

The boys are shopping spears but he wouldnt be part of a Cowboys-dolphins deal. He ripped Parcells after the Tuna left and they had trouble getting along too.

I really can't believe the cowboys would make that move. It's too good to be true.

I don't get it.... the only position the Dolphins don't need help with is RB.

Precisely the reason they should do it. They would receive more picks and be able to address multiple positions of need, as well as add depth to their running back situation. And Ronnie Brown definitely needs the help. He is taking too much of a beating doing it pretty much on his own.

The boys are shopping spears but he wouldnt be part of a Cowboys-dolphins deal. He ripped Parcells after the Tuna left and they had trouble getting along too.

I really can't believe the cowboys would make that move. It's too good to be true.

They should shop Spears. And, in my opinion, Barber is somewhat overrated, and not an everydown back.

But they should not give multiple players and draft choices for McFadden. They should look into signing Turner before they do something extreme on draft day...

They should shop Spears. And, in my opinion, Barber is somewhat overrated, and not an everydown back.

But they should not give multiple players and draft choices for McFadden. They should look into signing Turner before they do something extreme on draft day...

TWO FACED! Im sure we can find a past post where he was all over Marions nuts like every other cowgirl fan. :P

He never was an every down back. Even in his days up at Minnesota..he always

split time with Laurence Maroney.

TWO FACED! Im sure we can find a past post where he was all over Marions nuts like every other cowgirl fan. :P

I'm not two faced. I like Barber. But he has almost no break away speed and runs too recklessly. And he was misused in the playoffs. He is better as a change of pace back. Thus, the Cowboys need another RB.

Two faced? Two faced is disappearing when your team loses only to reappear when they are in the playoffs. I'm sure your fan club (mafia west? little giants? whatever...) would agree if you asked them...