SportsWrath

More great news: Fassel expected to be named head coach of Skins

jranieli

:)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Fassel, Ryan and Zorn

All of my reporting leads to this trio topping the coaching staff. They have yet to finalize deals but are the top choices for the positions and league sources said the Redskins would like to announce the coaching moves en masse, rather than individually, and that could happen tomorrow.

Jim Fassel is expected to be named head coach, and the hold-up is negotiations with the Ravens regarding Rex Ryan. As I previously reported, contrary to other reports, the Ravens retain Ryan's coordinator rights and can block a lateral move. They appear to be doing that. The sides may reach an agreement, but Ravens ownership badly wants to keep Ryan, who the players love. Fassel and Ryan spoke as recently as last night sources said and Ryan interviewed with Snyder Sunday night, according to sources.

Zorn, as we were the first to report, interviewed for the offensive coordinator job. He is set to depart around 5:40 and if all goes well he would be the leading candidate to replace Al Saunders (with whatever fancy title they want to use).

Everyone is waiting to hammer the contract details out but barring a last second change of heart, disaster, whatever, this is how it's shaping up.

Williams is getting screwed here. He had 6 interviews, that's 6 times and did not get the job.

Absolutely! I commented on this in the other thread. It looks like Fassel is very close. There must be something that Snyder doesn't like about Gregg Williams. But why keep giving him interview after interview just to turn him down yet again? Makes no sense. And now it looks like they are trying to replace him altogether. I know he will land in a better situation.

I'm happy for Jim... he was always a good guy, but in his final year, there's no denying his team quit on him.

I'm also happy for us... since Fassel's teams always seemed to be able to snatch defeat from the Jaws of victory in the big spot (Vikes in '97, 49ers in 2002... ugh) and we seem to be playing better in the 4th than in recent years.

Absolutely! I commented on this in the other thread. It looks like Fassel is very close. There must be something that Snyder doesn't like about Gregg Williams. But why keep giving him interview after interview just to turn him down yet again? Makes no sense. And now it looks like they are trying to replace him altogether. I know he will land in a better situation.

Snyder is an idiot. He thinks changing coaches is like changing pants. That's why the Redskins never get anywhere because there is no consistency. You can't expect players to learn systems every 3 years again.

Snyder is an idiot. He thinks changing coaches is like changing pants. That's why the Redskins never get anywhere because there is no consistency. You can't expect players to learn systems every 3 years again.

Williams is the logical choice. Glad to see Snyder is set to once again disturb the chemistry of the team.

The one thing Fassel has going for him is a great offensive reputation, and maybe Snyder feels Fassel can take Jason Campbell to the next level.

Interesting.

Snyder didn't change the last coach, Gibbs left on his own accord.

Snyder didn't change the last coach, Gibbs left on his own accord.

Oh I know but he has two great coordinators and passes to get Fassel? I don't hate Fassel but there is something to be said from hiring internally, especially when they are competent coaches. Gibbs was supposedly staying as a consultant so maybe he advised Williams not be hired or something. Seems Williams is on the way out anyway as Snyder is trying to get another DC.