SportsWrath

Why Isn't Jim Fassel getting more looks?

fringe

From Peter King. SI

Jim Fassel (54), not coaching. I'm a bit mystified why he never got a second head-coaching chance after taking over a bad team in New York and leading the Giants, unexpectedly, to the Super Bowl in 2000. He was five games over .500 in his seven New York seasons. The one thing so many teams are looking for is a coach who can work with young quarterbacks and fix slumping ones, and that's Fassel's forte. "Jim was the key to me coming back and playing well,'' said Kerry Collins, the battered QB who quarterbacked the Giants to the NFC title in 200

So am I, Peter.

If not as head coach, I think he's a natural fit for SF 49er Offensive Coordinator. He's worked with Nolan before and he knows how to develop QB's and offensive game plans. He must not interview well at all. I don't get it.

Probably because he went to the Super Bowl with John Fox and Sean Payton as his coordinators and didn't really do shit afterwards... unless you count the worst collapse in playoff history.

Also, say what you want about Brian Billick... after he fired Fassel, that offense came alive last year and they got to the playoffs.

Rumor was Well Mara slammed him on the way out. He did use the term "franchise in trouble" when Fassel was let go. I think that is damning for anyone. I think the idea that he was too laid back hurts him as well.

And the fact I heard Jim liked the New York nightlife a bit too much. ;)

I think we give too much credit to the mystique of Mara. and seph, if billick was so good and fassel was stifling the Offense, what happened this year?

all i know is that i've been a giants fan for many years and fassel is the only coach who came in and gave us some semblance of a sustainable offense. a legacy that still hold true today. if I needed an OC, i'd hire him in a new york minute based on that.

I think we give too much credit to the mystique of Mara. and seph, if billick was so good and fassel was stifling the Offense, what happened this year?

I know what you mean, and I hate Billick too... but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first year those two guys left, Fassel's team finished 4-12.

I know what you mean, and I hate Billick too... but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first year those two guys left, Fassel's team finished 4-12.

Well didn't Fassel have to take over the offensive reigns from Payton, because he had the fucking players in motion all over the place before the snap only for teams to figure they were going to go right back to their original position at the snap. payton got way too much credit IMO.

Billick buried Fassel by firing him. But there's nothing to say he shouldn't be coaching college at least, that I don't understand.

i really think he must give a bad interview. recall he was first in line for buffalo, washington, maybe a few other HC jobs. Also, Raiders OC, couple of others. A guy with his resume should be working. he trained elway for crissakes.

you got me, i've been wondering the same thing for years. i mean denny green got the ari job over him, not that they're known for making sound decisions but still, the guy has plenty on his resume in just 1 job

all i know is that i've been a giants fan for many years and fassel is the only coach who came in and gave us some semblance of a sustainable offense. a legacy that still hold true today. if I needed an OC, i'd hire him in a new york minute based on that.

I'd hire him as an offensive coordinator too. But I think he has the Tom Coughlin

syndrome, IF Fassel were to get another head coaching gig in the NFL he would need

great coordinators.

yeah, billick's offense really took off....

where's billick now? why is he where he is? hint: it's not the defense

I don't like Billick either, but I think he's going to get a new job pretty easy. He's got one Superbowl and several winning seasons on his resume. With Atlanta and Miami already empty, I think he's got a pretty good chance to be on the sidelines again next year. Truthfully he just wore out his welcome in Baltimore, and that team is going downhill pretty fast.

Even though I think Billick's firing of Fassel pretty much fucked Fassel's chances of getting a job right now in the NFL.(remember how he fucked Matt Cavanuagh also by bringing in Fassel as an "advisor"). Fassel should easily have been able to get a head coaching job in college. In fact he may be better suited for college as he's more of a teacher. I also believe that the Giants fucked him over when he left. I hate bringing this up, but at that seminar I was at a few years back, when Fassel's name was brought up (he had just left), there was a lot of sniggering and eyes raising to the heavens by the staff, almost like "oh that guy" and a lot of Coughlin will straighten this place out. I also couldn't get over the fact that in Accorsi's book, fassel's 7 year career got maybe 3 lines overall along with the comment, that he didn't think we had an offensive strategy in place for the superbowl, which was pretty damning if you ask me considering I don't know how you plan for 4 INT's. I hope he gets a second chance, I liked Jim as a coach.

There must have been something behind the scenes of the org that damned Fassel.

He's not a bad coach and he should get an opportunity to coach again. I think he'll have to earn his bones by being a successful coordinator again b4 anything else...

Hmm... those are all good points.

Art Shell? Norv Turner? Those guys have always sucked ass. At least Fassel had a winning record.

And I didn't even think about college, where I bet Jim would shine.

Yeah... why ISN'T he coaching somewhere? :confused:

His success after the big job sounds a lot like my career path 10 years ago. :P Its obvious that someone in the Giants Org was bad mouthing him; and I believe that someone was Acorsi. Also he was not getting big time praise from Old Well....where you get the "damning with faint praise handle". Don't think he can connect with his interviewers....I think you know what I am talking about Blu. If the owner is looking for a hands on guy....he gives laid back. If the owner is looking for a laid back guy maybe he switches and gives him the rah-rah head coach = Patton routine. I think what also comes into play (at least it would be for me) would be the character thing. He could have demoted Payton without throwing him under the bus like he did. Even though the Chief Engineer runs the engine room anything goes wrong with the ship is still the Captain's fuckup.

Also his whole sycophantic weird ass relationship with Brian Billick going back to 2000 where for Fassel his "friendship" with Brian means a lot; whereas Brian from what I can see could probably care less. Fassel would be good for an offensively challenged team with a young qb at either the OC or HC positions in my opinion. Those previously mentioned intangibles will keep him out of the park for a little while longer. Now if Reese continues to do well...then the opinions (back stabbing) of the likes of Acorsi will start to matter less. Give it 2 years and he will be able to get a pro job. In the interim he should head to Division I ball and try to get a struggling team to the next level.