SportsWrath

Do the refs ever throw a flag in favor of the Giants?

jranieli

sorry for two posts but this what I have on my mind. Plax was raped all day and I can count 3 times where the defense went offsides and it was not called. I am not going to credit Plax and give him a break here but there were at least 4 instances where Smoot was all over him and a flag was not thrown. How many times should have the Skins been called for holding? I could have counted around 3 times.

There was one in which Tuck's left arm was being twisted behind his back on the same play that Osi was held. Neither one was called. The Skins were wannabe tailors all day...looking at the amount of cloth they were pulling on each play. Plax is not a bitcher/moaner like most WR's....Smoot was making his plays by wrapping his left arm around Plax and batting the ball away with his other arm.

You only notice when the flags don't go the Giants way. I do the same thing with the Redskins.

There was one third down where Collins was clearly grabbed by the face mask on an incomplete pass and there was no call.

agreed, as i said, they were calling a loose game. your team showed a lot of heart, especially impressed with portis. good game.

You only notice when the flags don't go the Giants way. I do the same thing with the Redskins.

There was one third down where Collins was clearly grabbed by the face mask on an incomplete pass and there was no call.

I saw a few calls like a late hit and a possible hold and off sides that weren't called on the Giants. The thing that aggravates me is some games they call everything and some games they don't. I don't want to hear that it was cold excuse. They wear plenty of under armor. Cancel the game if that's much of a problem.

sorry for two posts but this what I have on my mind. Plax was raped all day and I can count 3 times where the defense went offsides and it was not called. I am not going to credit Plax and give him a break here but there were at least 4 instances where Smoot was all over him and a flag was not thrown. How many times should have the Skins been called for holding? I could have counted around 3 times.

The Dog is of the opinion that Burress is second only to Michael Irvin in career push-offs that have never been called...The fact is, every fan of every team will argue that their team doesn't get the calls...officiating is what it is...there is a lot that happens in a few seconds of a play and only so much can possibly be seen...it is not a Giant issue, it is a football issue...There is no conspiracy...

Anyway shit calls against the Giants are a given....what really burned me were those two running plays early on in the game where the balls were marked down by the ref and/or umpire....then 15 or so seconds later the linesman comes trotting over to move the balls back.

I am still upset! This year I was the Defensive cordinator of a kids league Tackle Football team(8-10yr olds).....anyway 1st round of the playoffs we were 6th seed, playing in a neutral spot (field was shitty, weather was foggy and damp). 3rd quarter, score was 0-0....they were driving on us and in the red zone. Their kid QB tries to pass on us and our CB got the jump on a underthrown pass, he dived for it and seemed to get his arms under the ball. INT!!!!!! But nooooooo! Another Ref called 'trap' ball. The next play they scored a TD and a 2pt conversion. We lost 8-0 and bounced out of the playoffs 1st round. A red challenge flag and instant replay may have helped.

Refs are human and make mistakes. IF we would have scored more points we wouldn't have left the fate of our season in a Refs hands. But shit a ref can change the whole momentum thing in a tight game with a iffy call!

agreed, as i said, they were calling a loose game. your team showed a lot of heart, especially impressed with portis. good game.

Redskins played a good game and showed a lot of heart but they are just one of the many average teams in the league this year overall.

Capable of putting together some really good games but also capable of putting together some true dogs.

There are very few teams that look good on a consistant basis this year.

But in regards to penalties I prefer a looser called game. It's football. Nowadays it seems every single time there's an incomplete pass the receiver is looking for the flag.

When a defender clearly stops a guy from catching the ball that's one thing but they call it for incidental contact these days.

15 yard penalties for spiking the ball?

They are too many game changing type of penalties that are disproportionate to the type of penalty committed.

Anyway shit calls against the Giants are a given....what really burned me were those two running plays early on in the game where the balls were marked down by the ref and/or umpire....then 15 or so seconds later the linesman comes trotting over to move the balls back.

Again for review, bad calls happen to all teams, and are no more against the Giants then any other team...the Dog is pretty sure you only notice them against the Giants because, well, your a Giants fan and watch those games more intently...bad calls happen...elevate Mannings game, draft well so that the team has quality depth to deal with injuries, stop the other team's run game, and learn how to be consistent and perhaps these bad calls will not matter in the end...

Again for review, bad calls happen to all teams, and are no more against the Giants then any other team...the Dog is pretty sure you only notice them against the Giants because, well, your a Giants fan and watch those games more intently...bad calls happen...elevate Mannings game, draft well so that the team has quality depth to deal with injuries, stop the other team's run game, and learn how to be consistent and perhaps these bad calls will not matter in the end...

Whatever...I have been watching football since the 60's and I have seen the changeover in how games are called...and anyone who can say that some teams do not get a preponderance of head scratching calls as opposed to other teams is not watching the games. And I am not talking about the Giants. Refs are human too...meaning that they have their own innate biases including subconscious ones that they are not aware of. But you go ahead and believe that games are called even handedly for all teams...that is of course your perogative.

I watched as we slowly switched over from the bump and run; saw the evolution of offensive linesmen being allowed to extend their arms outside of their bodies while blocking; when the QB was treated like any other guy in the back field. And it was a better game in my opinion. Calls were blatant and easy to make in terms of pass interference, offensive holding and roughing the passer. Now with the emphasis of the offense over the defense you have all of these rule changes that have altered the essential character of the game.

God, you're an annoying little drone.

Whatever...I have been watching football since the 60's and I have seen the changeover in how games are called...and anyone who can say that some teams do not get a preponderance of head scratching calls as opposed to other teams is not watching the games. And I am not talking about the Giants. Refs are human too...meaning that they have their own innate biases including subconscious ones that they are not aware of. But you go ahead and believe that games are called even handedly for all teams...that is of course your perogative.

I watched as we slowly switched over from the bump and run; saw the evolution of offensive linesmen being allowed to extend their arms outside of their bodies while blocking; when the QB was treated like any other guy in the back field. And it was a better game in my opinion. Calls were blatant and easy to make in terms of pass interference, offensive holding and roughing the passer. Now with the emphasis of the offense over the defense you have all of these rule changes that have altered the essential character of the game.

The Dog agrees that refs are human. The Dog agrees with your entire second paragraph. The Dog disagrees with the notion that specific teams are targeted with bad calls repeatedly...that would constitute either a bizarre conspiracy in the NFL, or a collection of trained professionals all of whom have a strong disdain for particular teams (in this case the Giants) that are unable to control themselves and make poor calls against that team...it really is quite ludicrous...that being said, the Dog recomends that the fine members of the sportwrath community who feel this is a just cause for investigation pool their resources and ire a private investigator to track down leads...perhaps a secret memo from the multiple league commisioners over time to the officials stating that under no circumstances are they to call a fair game when the Giants take the field...

The Giants do have a lot going against them:

1. Wellington Mara led the opposition to the refs in the strike season... they caved after 9/11. I'm sure that one still stings with some of them.

2. Outside of the metropolitan area... everyone hates NYC.

3. I hate to say it... but these Giants are easy for a lot of people to dislike. Coughlin has a grating personality, Eli arrogantly refused to play for San Diego before ever having taken an NFL snap, and guys like Shockey and Plax are loudmouths/enigmas. Even Pierce had his air horn incident. I'm not saying that's its fair or right, but I'd guess that's the perception of these guys around the league.

The Dog agrees that refs are human. The Dog agrees with your entire second paragraph. The Dog disagrees with the notion that specific teams are targeted with bad calls repeatedly...that would constitute either a bizarre conspiracy in the NFL, or a collection of trained professionals all of whom have a strong disdain for particular teams (in this case the Giants) that are unable to control themselves and make poor calls against that team...it really is quite ludicrous...that being said, the Dog recomends that the fine members of the sportwrath community who feel this is a just cause for investigation pool their resources and ire a private investigator to track down leads...perhaps a secret memo from the multiple league commisioners over time to the officials stating that under no circumstances are they to call a fair game when the Giants take the field...

Or we could just rewatch all of the horrible calls and non calls made that end up screwing us over.

Ex. 2002 MNF Giants @ Eagles - Eagles run a 3rd down play that ends up short of the 1st by about a yard. Refs measure... Eagles are short, but instead of saying that it's 4th down, the ref moves the ball forward and signals 1st down.

No way in hell can that be a mistake.

Ex. 2002 Wild Card Playoffs Giants @ 49ers - Ineligible Man Downfield? Seubert raised his hand before the play to let the officials know that he's and eligible receiver. Also he was raped near the endzone and there was no DPI called.

How do the refs not know the rules?

Ex. 2004 Steelers @ Giants - Giants are driving to tie/win the game. Offense breaks huddle... Toomer goes on a slant... CB falls and trips Toomer as ball is coming. Pass is intercepted. No DPI of Illegal Contact. That can't be considered incidental contact, so why no call? The same thing happened to Ike Hilliard during the next game against the Ravens except Hilliard ran a Go route instead of a Slant.

Ex. 2006 SNF Opener Colts @ Giants - Giants driving to win. Tim Carter runs a perfect hitch and DB slips. Replays show no contact between Carter and the DB. Refs call OPI. Next play is an interception. Game over.

I understand that Refs are human and thus will make mistakes, but sometimes... they aren't mistakes. They're blatant bullshit calls.

Or we could just rewatch all of the horrible calls and non calls made that end up screwing us over.

Ex. 2002 MNF Giants @ Eagles - Eagles run a 3rd down play that ends up short of the 1st by about a yard. Refs measure... Eagles are short, but instead of saying that it's 4th down, the ref moves the ball forward and signals 1st down.

No way in hell can that be a mistake.

Ex. 2002 Wild Card Playoffs Giants @ 49ers - Ineligible Man Downfield? Seubert raised his hand before the play to let the officials know that he's and eligible receiver. Also he was raped near the endzone and there was no DPI called.

How do the refs not know the rules?

Ex. 2004 Steelers @ Giants - Giants are driving to tie/win the game. Offense breaks huddle... Toomer goes on a slant... CB falls and trips Toomer as ball is coming. Pass is intercepted. No DPI of Illegal Contact. That can't be considered incidental contact, so why no call? The same thing happened to Ike Hilliard during the next game against the Ravens except Hilliard ran a Go route instead of a Slant.

Ex. 2006 SNF Opener Colts @ Giants - Giants driving to win. Tim Carter runs a perfect hitch and DB slips. Replays show no contact between Carter and the DB. Refs call OPI. Next play is an interception. Game over.

I understand that Refs are human and thus will make mistakes, but sometimes... they aren't mistakes. They're blatant bullshit calls.

The Dog doesn't disagree that calls are missed...the Dog's point is like the list you made above, fans from every team can make a similar list...missed calls happen to ALL teams, it is not a Giant conspiracy....the fact is, this is an excuse used by fans all the time...every team is victimized by bad calls, every team has benefited from bad calls...Overall, considering the speed and pace of the game, the Dog believes officials do a solid job...

The Dog doesn't disagree that calls are missed...the Dog's point is like the list you made above, fans from every team can make a similar list...missed calls happen to ALL teams, it is not a Giant conspiracy....the fact is, this is an excuse used by fans all the time...every team is victimized by bad calls, every team has benefited from bad calls...Overall, considering the speed and pace of the game, the Dog believes officials do a solid job...

The bottom three were game changing or game sealing calls. You cannot make mistakes like that regardless of who's playing, and the first example was complete trash and there's no way to defend the refs on that one. "Oh, they didn't get the 1st down so let's move the ball forward and say that they did." WTF?

The bottom three were game changing or game sealing calls. You cannot make mistakes like that regardless of who's playing, and the first example was complete trash and there's no way to defend the refs on that one. "Oh, they didn't get the 1st down so let's move the ball forward and say that they did." WTF?

That may be, but the Dog believes that again, all teams have that experience to draw from...it is impossible to officiate the perfect game, and mistakes and misses occur all the time...sometimes they are harmless in the course of a game, sometimes they are not...the game is fast, times when officials have to watch several aspects at one moment means that a player can slip without contact and it may look very much like interference...fact of life...like injuries...the great teams fight through both and win Super Bowls, average teams cannot...

1. What about the 1st example?

2. There's no denying that we are nothing more than an average-good football team, however it wouldn't hurt to have the assholes make calls consistently. Either that or allow the upstairs officials to review an official's call or non call.

1. What about the 1st example?

2. There's no denying that we are nothing more than an average-good football team, however it wouldn't hurt to have the assholes make calls consistently. Either that or allow the upstairs officials to review an official's call or non call.

The Dog didn't see the play you are referring to, but doesn't recall there ever being much airtime commited to that mistake made by the official...it seems to the Dog that a blatant error like that would have generated a significant review of the tape...

The Dog isn't challenging any of what you say, except that such calls happen all the time to all teams (and forgive the Dog, because it is possible that you are not one that is arguing that the Giants are the only one's who are victim to this, it is just that many here make that argument, and it is silly)...

Allowing for official reviews of all calls/noncalls that are made would slow this game down to a pace as brutal as baseball...and that would just destroy the sport...