SportsWrath

So, Im at work w/ this Bears fan.....

BIGBLUE01

"Are the Giants a better team than the Bears?"

See, it all started when we were talkin about the playoffs. He mentioned that he really wanted to face us, because we were the one team that he was sure the Bears could beat. Of course, we argued.

But, today, he saw me posting here, and wanted me to ask what everyone here thought. He said it woul;d all be bias, I told him, not necessarily, theres alot of mature posters here. So, whadya think.

Me, I say thier D is better, but our O is WAAYY better, could go either way.

Me, I say thier D is better, but our O is WAAYY better, could go either way.

A great D almost always beats a great offense. And if we couldn't score against Carolina, we probly wouldn't have much of a shot vs. Chicago. Plus, chicago's hardnose run game would've tore us apart.

That's pretty bias

A great D almost always beats a great offense. And if we couldn't score against Carolina, we probly wouldn't have much of a shot vs. Chicago. Plus, chicago's hardnose run game would've tore us apart.

That's pretty bias

Good point, but I forgot to add...when both squads are fully healthy. You cant use the playoff game as an example, half our D was out, and we had a couple of 40 yr old scrubs playin on the D. Buckley coverin Smith?? C'mon.

Yea, fully healthy, chicago wouldn't have a shot. Our special teams would determine the diferrence. Probly a late game field goal with the score 13-10 or something :TU:

It's an interesting matchup. Two young, inexperienced QBs playing in their first post-season. We had a better running game and probably a better passing game no matter how bad eli looked in Carolina. Their defense is so much better then ours was though. I think the homefield would've also helped and eventually wind up getting them a 24-13 win. Although, their d did look pitiful, possibly worse then ours did against Carolina so you never know...

If the Bears played the Gmen in the 1st round, fully healthy squads, gimme your breakdown.

Didn't read that part. I think in that case we could've beat them... with, Peterson, Pierce, and Shockey 100% healthy. Of course, no team is ever 100% healthy during the post-season, no matter what the injury list says. So that really shouldn't be taken in for consideration.

da Bears D was proven to be overrated and a result of having one of the softest divisions in football....

that being said, i bet whoever their QB was at the time would've had a career day vs our secondary...if you notice, 2nd and 3rd string QBs always have career days vs the Giants because we let them slice through us like a hot knife through butter....

it would've been a very close offensive game with the Giants pulling out a 27-24 win.

Hard to say: The Bears led the league in 3 and out (for a playoff team) and IF the Giants put together a short passing attack featuring Tiki as a reciever, the Bears would get beat. No doubt in my mind the short passing attack would set up Plax long...and if we'd scored first, Bears are done!

Last year, the Giants were a slightly better team (before all of our injuries).

Hard to say: The Bears led the league in 3 and out (for a playoff team) and IF the Giants put together a short passing attack featuring Tiki as a reciever, the Bears would get beat. No doubt in my mind the short passing attack would set up Plax long...and if we'd scored first, Bears are done!

Last year, the Giants were a slightly better team (before all of our injuries).

This is the assesment I agree with most. :clap:

So, is the question if the Giants played the bears in the first round of the playoffs last season, both squads 100 % healthy who would win? If thats the question, the Bears would win. Carolinas D ate us alive, as much as I love Eli, he was bad in that game, Chicago's D was beter than Carolinas, so I gotta believe Eli would have looked just as bad even with a healthy Shockey. The score would have been much closer because Carolinas O was more prolific than Chicago's and we had terrible matchups on D.

The final score would have been somewhere around 10-0 or 10-3 in favor of the Bears. Now this year should be different, Eli has alot more experience and I have heard the possibility that he was affected by the elbow strain he suffered in pre season (ofcourse that could very well be an excuse for his sub par play down the stretch), and we have some key additions.

So, is the question if the Giants played the bears in the first round of the playoffs last season, both squads 100 % healthy who would win? If thats the question, the Bears would win. Carolinas D ate us alive, as much as I love Eli, he was bad in that game, Chicago's D was beter than Carolinas, so I gotta believe Eli would have looked just as bad even with a healthy Shockey. The score would have been much closer because Carolinas O was more prolific than Chicago's and we had terrible matchups on D.

The final score would have been somewhere around 10-0 or 10-3 in favor of the Bears. Now this year should be different, Eli has alot more experience and I have heard the possibility that he was affected by the elbow strain he suffered in pre season (ofcourse that could very well be an excuse for his sub par play down the stretch), and we have some key additions.

Yes, that is the question.

I don't see us scoring that little. If we advanced to the second round, we obviously would have had some offensive momentum. They had a young defense and an inexperienced coaching staff and we surely would not have been shut out there. We would have lost 24-13 as I stated earlier.

I don't see us scoring that little. If we advanced to the second round, we obviously would have had some offensive momentum. They had a young defense and an inexperienced coaching staff and we surely would not have been shut out there. We would have lost 24-13 as I stated earlier.

We had offensive momentum going into the game vs Carolina and got shut out. As I enderstood the question, the game would be uin the first round of the playoffs. Carolina made Eli look terrible, and Chicago's D was better than the Panthers.

See, think you both have a point. If its in the 1st round, I see a close game with us losing. If we're healthy. But if we make it past Carolina, and get to the 2nd round, Eli has a playoff game under his belt, the teams emotion is peaked. I say we win a close one 24-21.

:clap:

Instead of arguing who was better I think you can come to a collective agreement that both teams exceeded expectations in '05 and gave their fans reason for optimism moving forward.

Midway throught the season I really thought the Bears were a product of their weak opponents. When they hosted Carolina I was convinced the Panthers would expose them. I didn't think a team that was as limited as Chicago was offensively, could beat a quality opponent simply off the strength of their defense. The Bears D went off, pressuring Delhomme all day, forcing turnovers and beating up the Panthers. The game was over by halftime. Then the playoffs roll around and the roles were reversed. Chicago looked every bit like the limited offensive team I thought they were. They were unable to advance just on the strength of ther D. Opponents figured out if they could give their QB time to score they could pick apart the Bears secondary.

Who would win between NY and Chicago? I think home field advantage would determine a lot. I'd personally rather have a limited offensive team and a great defensive team than the other way around. However that's just my preference. I don't think either team is head and shoulders better than the other at this point so I'd probably say it would be a field goal game. If they played 4 times each team would win twice!

This would be strength vs. strength, weakness vs. weakness. Assuming the Giants had more starters in the back seven than subs, I would think our defense would have less trouble with their offense than their defense would with our offense, because our weaknesses were farther apart in ability than our strengths.

This would have been a game all about turnovers and special teams. While we were ranked high in both categories, I wouldn't like to depend on that to predict one game.

Both teams were better on one side of the ball than the other. But our D was getting MUCH better B4 the injuries, and I think if healthy, that and our Sp. teams(who were one of the best in the league) would have made the difference. Remember when we didnt allow an Offensive TD in like 4 games? That was when they were gettin real good.

strahan.jpg