Sorry Eli, but Tiki was right

Adam Schein

Special to FOXSports.com, Updated 2 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

If you read the New York newspapers today, you would believe that Eli Manning firing back at former teammate-turned-sportscaster Tiki Barber is the quarterback's coming-out party as a leader.

If you talk to Giants fans, like I did on my radio show yesterday, you would believe that Manning not only has found his pulse, but that this could be a turning point for him on the field.

Excuse me for a minute while I interrupt this Eli Manning love fest.

I can't believe how this has been spun.

I had some serious problems with Manning's commentary against Barber yesterday in Albany, N.Y — on a lot of levels.

I watched Sunday Night Football live this week. I heard Barber and Cris Collinsworth and Bob Costas talk about Manning at the half. I heard the two analysts say that Manning isn't an upper-echelon quarterback and the Giants couldn't trade him for most starting quarterbacks in the NFL straight-up, including the two quarterbacks drafted the same year, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. I heard Tiki talk about Manning's awkward speeches and question his leadership. I heard it all.

Raise your hand if you disagreed with it.

This was far from breaking news.

I have to tell you, this was fine television. It wasn't anything more. It wasn't anything less. It wasn't going to win anyone an Emmy. This wasn't "hot stuff." Tiki and company were not reinventing the wheel here. This has been said or written by at least 1,000 people with microphones and notepads. Giants tackle Kareem McKenzie has talked about Manning from a leadership perspective before on the record. Barber's commentary was far from over the top.

While New Yorkers are celebrating Manning's coming-out party, what happened to the 2007 mantra of just playing football and eliminating distractions?

Would Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger respond in such a way? Here's what they would've said, "Tiki is entitled to his opinion. We are here to play football. That's all I have to say about that."

So in a season where Tom Coughlin wanted the Giants to stop talking, all of a sudden everyone is praising Manning for his Jim Rome-esque monologue?

And in New York, this topic isn't dying anytime soon. So once again, the conversation strays from football.

Here is the Manning quote I had the biggest problem with: "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, saying he's lost the heart. As a quarterback, you're reading your running back's lost a little, the heart, him playing the game, and it's about the 10th week. I can see that a little bit at times."

Where do I begin?

Let's jog the mental rolodex for a second here. When were the two significant times Barber talked about the Giants coaching staff? They were after the pathetic performance against John Fox and the Panthers in the opening round of the playoffs two seasons ago. And it was after Manning's gruesome performance against the Jaguars on national television last year, when the quarterback did his best Dave Brown impersonation.

The headlines in New York quickly shifted from "Manning's a Bust" and "Eli Stinks" to "Shut up Tiki!"

Maybe, just maybe, Barber knew exactly what he was doing, shifting the blame away from his young quarterback.

And let's remember that Barber didn't announce his retirement last year. John Branch from The New York Times was shadowing the Barber brothers on a book tour and unearthed that nugget by listening to conversation.

For the record, the Steelers were so distracted by the Jerome Bettis retirement talk in 2005 they won the Super Bowl.

And let's not talk about heart. That is what drove me batty during my radio show yesterday. I would be pressed to question a running back's heart when he shredded the Redskins for over 200 yards in Week 17 to solely carry the Giants to the playoffs. When Tiki made the heart comment last year it was in reference to the grind as an NFL player post-2006. Barber not only dominated Washington, but he was the reason why the Giants beat the Panthers down the stretch and nearly upset the Eagles in the playoffs.

This will make for good copy and conversation for a few weeks. But all that matters is if this "leadership transformation" that I am not buying into suddenly helps Manning perform against the Cowboys in Week 1.

Tiki Barber no longer wears the Giants uniform. He is now part of the media. The Giants players and fans have to get used to it.

I can't wait until he actually says something juicy.

Adam Schein

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

If you read the New York newspapers today, you would believe that Eli Manning firing back at former teammate-turned-sportscaster Tiki Barber is the quarterback's coming-out party as a leader.

If you talk to Giants fans, like I did on my radio show yesterday, you would believe that Manning not only has found his pulse, but that this could be a turning point for him on the field.

I had some serious problems with Manning's commentary against Barber yesterday in Albany, N.Y — on a lot of levels.

I watched Sunday Night Football live this week. I heard Barber and Cris Collinsworth and Bob Costas talk about Manning at the half. I heard the two analysts say that Manning isn't an upper-echelon quarterback and the Giants couldn't trade him for most starting quarterbacks in the NFL straight-up, including the two quarterbacks drafted the same year, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. I heard Tiki talk about Manning's awkward speeches and question his leadership. I heard it all.

I have to tell you, this was fine television. It wasn't anything more. It wasn't anything less. It wasn't going to win anyone an Emmy. This wasn't "hot stuff." Tiki and company were not reinventing the wheel here. This has been said or written by at least 1,000 people with microphones and notepads. Giants tackle Kareem McKenzie has talked about Manning from a leadership perspective before on the record. Barber's commentary was far from over the top.

While New Yorkers are celebrating Manning's coming-out party, what happened to the 2007 mantra of just playing football and eliminating distractions?

Would Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger respond in such a way? Here's what they would've said, "Tiki is entitled to his opinion. We are here to play football. That's all I have to say about that."

So in a season where Tom Coughlin wanted the Giants to stop talking, all of a sudden everyone is praising Manning for his Jim Rome-esque monologue?

And in New York, this topic isn't dying anytime soon. So once again, the conversation strays from football.

Here is the Manning quote I had the biggest problem with: "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, saying he's lost the heart. As a quarterback, you're reading your running back's lost a little, the heart, him playing the game, and it's about the 10th week. I can see that a little bit at times."

Where do I begin?

Let's jog the mental rolodex for a second here. When were the two significant times Barber talked about the Giants coaching staff? They were after the pathetic performance against John Fox and the Panthers in the opening round of the playoffs two seasons ago. And it was after Manning's gruesome performance against the Jaguars on national television last year, when the quarterback did his best Dave Brown impersonation.

The headlines in New York quickly shifted from "Manning's a Bust" and "Eli Stinks" to "Shut up Tiki!"

Maybe, just maybe, Barber knew exactly what he was doing, shifting the blame away from his young quarterback.

And let's remember that Barber didn't announce his retirement last year. John Branch from The New York Times was shadowing the Barber brothers on a book tour and unearthed that nugget by listening to conversation.

For the record, the Steelers were so distracted by the Jerome Bettis retirement talk in 2005 they won the Super Bowl.

And let's not talk about heart. That is what drove me batty during my radio show yesterday. I would be pressed to question a running back's heart when he shredded the Redskins for over 200 yards in Week 17 to solely carry the Giants to the playoffs. When Tiki made the heart comment last year it was in reference to the grind as an NFL player post-2006. Barber not only dominated Washington, but he was the reason why the Giants beat the Panthers down the stretch and nearly upset the Eagles in the playoffs.

This will make for good copy and conversation for a few weeks. But all that matters is if this "leadership transformation" that I am not buying into suddenly helps Manning perform against the Cowboys in Week 1.

Tiki Barber no longer wears the Giants uniform. He is now part of the media. The Giants players and fans have to get used to it.

I couldnt agree more with this bolded comment.

I still am glad that Eli said at least something, but he's got alot of valid points in this column.

Adam Schein

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

Where do I begin?

The man makes perfect sense. :o

I really don't think you are a Cowboys fan I think your just an asshole. You spend more time here than any Giants fan.

That's interesting, jerseygiantfan. I look forward to seeing you on these boards. In fact, it's moments like these that make my days on Sportswrath so special.

So where do you stand on the big Eli/Tiki spat?

That's interesting, jerseygiantfan. I look forward to seeing you on these boards. In fact, it's moments like these that make my days on Sportswrath so special.

So where do you stand on the big Eli/Tiki spat?

Awww you are too sweet. When you picked your name you were dead on. I would just like to hear Tiki's take on another team besides ours. I find it childish and antagonizing on Tiki's and the network's part by having him comment on the Giants. They wanted controversy and they got it.

Adam Schein is entitled to his opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Tiki Barber and his retirement bullshit last year WAS a distraction; it's not just Eli who thought that, but Coughlin, Pierce, and others have come out and said so. Tiki Barber turned the last six weeks of the Giants season into the Tiki Barber show when he said, "Yes, the rumors are true, I'm retiring," instead of saying "I won't have any comment on that until the end of the season." Don't blame the reporter; Tiki could have taken the high road but didn't. Though I have nothing to back this up, my guess would be that Tiki was more interested in self-promotion at this point to see who would give him the most lucrative post-career contract (for which there were many suitors) than about helping out the team and winning football games.

Fuck Tiki and good for Eli. The team is tired of hearing about this shit, and who cares what Tiki has to say anymore. He's just a talking head like all the other former NFL players on the pre-games now.

Awww you are too sweet. When you picked your name you were dead on. I would just like to hear Tiki's take on another team besides ours. I find it childish and antagonizing on Tiki's and the network's part by having him comment on the Giants. They wanted controversy and they got it.

It seems its probably more the network but Tiki could have chosen his words differently. Why does Tiki have an ax to grind?

Irrespective of the Tiki's motives, Manning could have defused this by simply not commenting on it. I think a "no comment I am focusing on winning the division" would have displayed more leadership skills.

Adam Schein is entitled to his opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Tiki Barber and his retirement bullshit last year WAS a distraction; it's not just Eli who thought that, but Coughlin, Pierce, and others have come out and said so. Tiki Barber turned the last six weeks of the Giants season into the Tiki Barber show when he said, "Yes, the rumors are true, I'm retiring," instead of saying "I won't have any comment on that until the end of the season." Don't blame the reporter; Tiki could have taken the high road but didn't. Though I have nothing to back this up, my guess would be that Tiki was more interested in self-promotion at this point to see who would give him the most lucrative post-career contract (for which there were many suitors) than about helping out the team and winning football games.

Fuck Tiki and good for Eli. The team is tired of hearing about this shit, and who cares what Tiki has to say anymore. He's just a talking head like all the other former NFL players on the pre-games now.

Why would the team be frustrated? Why didn't the "team", as Schein points out, rally around it much like the Steelers did with Bettis? Really, Tiki is what made that team competitive in recent years. And self promotion? Who cares? His performance certainly didn't suffer...

It seems its probably more the network but Tiki could have chosen his words differently. Why does Tiki have an ax to grind?

Irrespective of the Tiki's motives, Manning could have defused this by simply not commenting on it. I think a "no comment I am focusing on winning the division" would have displayed more leadership skills.

I think when you have every media outlet and the biggest pain in the ass poster questioning your ability and leadership and also comparing you to your brother day in and day out.....and then a former teammate jumps on the bandwagon...you really can't let shit slide. I would have said worse.

I think when you have every media outlet and the biggest pain in the ass poster questioning your ability and leadership and also comparing you to your brother day in and day out.....and then a former teammate jumps on the bandwagon...you really can't let shit slide. I would have said worse.

If, when you say "biggest pain in the ass poster," you're refering to yours truly, than the Giants do have problems because Eli should not be listening to me.

If, when you say "biggest pain in the ass poster," you're refering to yours truly, than the Giants do have problems because Eli should not be listening to me.

:doh::LMAO: He's not, it was a joke. I highly doubt that even if you were standing in front of him, would he pay you any attention.

Thats a very interesting point. I mean, its not like Peyton Manning would call his kicker a "drunken kicker' on national TV at the pro bowl after said player questioned his leadership.

And surely, Mcnabb would never get dragged into the TO mess if he had ever played there.

Leaders fire back when their leadership is questioned. This is the worst example of jouralism ever.

Thats a very interesting point. I mean, its not like Peyton Manning would call his kicker a "drunken kicker' on national TV at the pro bowl after said player questioned his leadership.

And surely, Mcnabb would never get dragged into the TO mess if he had ever played there.

Leaders fire back when their leadership is questioned. This is the worst example of jouralism ever.

:clap:

I was reading over that whole Vanderjagt/Manning incident and I had forgotten how similar Vanderjagts criticism of Peyton was to that the media makes of Eli.

:clap:

I was reading over that whole Vanderjagt/Manning incident and I had forgotten how similar Vanderjagts criticism of Peyton was to that the media makes of Eli.

I'm simply amazed the author of the article could say that with a straight face, the Vanderjact/Manning thing was great comedy when it happened.

yah, i cant think of a bigger travesty than having a former STAR/HERO of the NYG being called upon to speak out about his team and then him actually doing it. he's paid to talk about football, not to interfere in a team's season by commenting on issues that arent even there anymore...a team that no longer has anything to do with him on a day to day basis.

yah, i cant think of a bigger travesty than having a former STAR/HERO of the NYG being called upon to speak out about his team and then him actually doing it. he's paid to talk about football, not to interfere in a team's season by commenting on issues that arent even there anymore...a team that no longer has anything to do with him on a day to day basis.

:clap: couldn't have said it better myself.

Jersey, you know on these boards we go way back to the nazi board, dont take what im about to say wrong. But, why is Tiki talking about our team, the team he retired from, such a bad thing? I know when his comments are twisted into something bad that would be the problem. But most of what we are reading is like a fish story. The only times Ive actually heard Tiki talk, he did comment on other teams, but when asked about the state of the Giants, he gave his no nonsense opinion. and who better to comment on the team, then the man who carried the team for the last couple of years. Its like my big brother saying whats wrong with our family, HE can say it, but if my next door neighbor says something derogatory about my mon, hes gettin his ass kicked. You know what Im saying? I guess my point is, if someone is talking about the Giants, bad or good, let it be a career Giant, like Tiki. But most of this is blown out of porportion.