SportsWrath

Yanks about to trade Melky?

gateb

not only should the yanks not trade Melky. They should find a way to make it so he can start in LF or RF.

why would they do this? Who is this reliever they are trading for? I can see a starter but for a reliever. Shame on this organization if they do this.

I am wondering if the reason they're throwing melky's name out there is to make the price for gonzalez go up for the red sox, because it also says the red sox are in hot pursuit of him.

I dont get it. Drew just got 5 years 70 mil. Why wouldn't u want to keep a kid like melky who will be going to arbitration for like 4-5 years and make close to nothing. I just dont get it.

To keep in note, Ichiro, Andruw Jones, and Torri Hunter are becoming free agents next year. However, I dont wanna see the Yanks give some 120 mil deal to ichiro, even though it would pretty much ensure all of Japan would be rooting for the Yankees.

You have to realize that Melky is a product of his environment. My grandmother could hit .280 in that lineup. Also, it's a lot easier to perform when nobody knows who you are and nothing is expected from you. Expectations will be a lot higher of him this year now that everybody has seen what he can do. Since they don't have a spot for him to play every day, and while his trade value is at its highest, doesn't it make sense to trade him now?

Regarding the Sox, I think they're more focused on Chad Cordero now that they've brought Donnelly and Romero into the fold. I think they'd have to be very wary of anybody with arm issues if they're looking for a closer.

You have to realize that Melky is a product of his environment. My grandmother could hit .280 in that lineup. Also, it's a lot easier to perform when nobody knows who you are and nothing is expected from you. Expectations will be a lot higher of him this year now that everybody has seen what he can do. Since they don't have a spot for him to play every day, and while his trade value is at its highest, doesn't it make sense to trade him now?

no it doesn't make sense to trade him now. Soon you will realize after signing Drew that in New York and Boston there is a certain pressure created by the media. Certain guys cant handle this, but the ones who handle it best are the kids who came through the farm system and dont know any better. They arent getting huge deals and the media tends to lay off of them a bit b/c they're not seen as saviors. This is why it's not good to bring in a 28 year old lefty named Mike Gonzalez, who hasn't pitched a meaningful game since high school with elbow problems that caused him to miss the last month of the season, and annoint him the "Heir to Rivera." You just dont make that deal.

-And to speak of Cabrera, how many 22 year olds played as well as he did last year? How are you so sure he wont turn into something solid? He does more than what his stats say. He brings energy to the team, he brings solid defense, be brings a hustle mentality. You friggin red sox fans were raving a year ago how cano was just an average player and Wang was just an average pitcher, right... The best part about Melky is the fact he wont make any money for the next 5 years.

-Also back to Mike Gonzalez, the Yankees in my opinion dont need bulpen help. We have Rivera/Farsnworth/Proctor. That in itself is good enough. Then we just got Britton from Baltimore and Bruney last year pitched great down the stretch and the playoffs (0.87 ERA and .189 BAA in 20.2 innings in the reg season) We still have Myers, and one of those guys we got from the Tigers should be ready by 2007 and is supposed to be good.

Cabrera shouldn't be traded, he should be starting in the OF next year.

I guess it gives them a chance to resign Bernie Williams...hmm, wonder how that outfield will work out. I agree, it's stupid to make this trade, especially after the Yankees starting playing smart again. Outfield can always be filled though, it's not like they're trading Cano. I guess he's expendable in that respect...plus it also means that you can deal from your strength of hitting to bolster your bullpen without giving up any of your young starting pitching prospects.

By the way, Plow, I hate New York...I'm here right now and the streets are too big, there are too many people, the bums are smarter...c'mon!

I guess it gives them a chance to resign Bernie Williams...hmm, wonder how that outfield will work out. I agree, it's stupid to make this trade, especially after the Yankees starting playing smart again. Outfield can always be filled though, it's not like they're trading Cano. I guess he's expendable in that respect...plus it also means that you can deal from your strength of hitting to bolster your bullpen without giving up any of your young starting pitching prospects.

By the way, Plow, I hate New York...I'm here right now and the streets are too big, there are too many people, the bums are smarter...c'mon!

where are you in new york?

If you're anywhere below 50th street, i know what you mean.

I can handle the 70's because central park is really nice. I really like up in riverdale where my school is.

if the yanks were desperate for bullpen help i'd say do it. mike gonzalez is VERY good and im pretty sure he had 0 blown saves last year. but i dont think they're desperate for bullpen arms. also, melky had a pretty nice year, but he shouldn't be untouchable, if theh deal is right they have to make it

dont sleep on gonzalez guys

--he's 28 years old and is 3 years away from free agency

--he makes 350,000

--he's a proven closer who blew no saves last season

--he's left handed, has a plus slider that is murder on righties, regularly throws in the mid 90's and can hit 98 when he dials it up

--2.17 era, 10.58 k's per 9, 1.35 whip, 24 saves, 1 homerun allowed.

i know yankee fans are getting scott proctor's hall of fame plaque ready but the truth is that gonzalez is unquestionably your 8th inning setup man. if mo gets hurt you have an established major league closer who blew no saves last year. sure he closed in pittsburg but no blown saves is no blown saves. and he's way cheaper than the other guys you have in the pen, the more i think about this trade the more i think it's the right move. trust cashman on this one. a 28 year old hard throwing lefty closer who doesn't blow saves and will make peanuts for 3 more seasons pitching the 8th inning is more valuable than a 4th OF. if you're gonna trade melky this is who you trade him for, not a 30 year old power hitter making 10 + mil or a 40 year old SP past his prime

KP, look up Kyle Farnsworth's stats before he came to the Yankees, they're very similar to Gonzalez. Pithcing in Atlanta and Pittsburgh are nothing like New York.

Dont foget Gonzalez didn't pitched after August 24th with elbow problems.

He no doubt would be good, I just dont want to give up melky. Proctor I dont care about.

I saw Gonzalez twice last year in SF. Both times he shut us down. Not saying much with the Giants lineup. But, he's got wicked stuff and plenty of attitude. In New York, he would be the anti-mo, attitude-wise.. I don't know Melky that much but I like Gonzalez.

i hear you on gonzalez's elbow, while i remember it being a case of pittsburg being cautious and just shutting him down for the last month of the season (he was on my fantasy team so i was keeping up on it), i dont blame you for being concerned either.

as for farnsworth, i dont see gonzalez as the same type of situation. farnesworth had 6 years of major league experience prior to the yankees signing him. he was with 3 different teams and was very inconsistent before putting together a nice year in 2005. his era's since 1999 (before yanks signed him) are as follows: 5.05, 6.43, 2.74, 7.33, 3.30, 4.73, 2.19. there were a lot of questions about his makeup and for his career he had 20 saves and 21 blown saves prior to the yanks signing him.

gonazalez's era's since he became a full time relief pitcher are: 1.25, 2.70, 2.17. he has 28 saves and 3 blown saves in his career. and because he got such a late start on his career you get to pay him nothing for 3 seasons while he's arguably entering his prime. plus he's left handed. i'm with you on not necessarily wanting to trade melky, but if proctor means nothing to you and you're shaky on farnsworth (as well you should be) then a guy like gonzalez who will immediately set up and can close is not the worst guy in the world to trade your 4th OF for

KP, look up Kyle Farnsworth's stats before he came to the Yankees, they're very similar to Gonzalez. Pithcing in Atlanta and Pittsburgh are nothing like New York.

Dont foget Gonzalez didn't pitched after August 24th with elbow problems.

He no doubt would be good, I just dont want to give up melky. Proctor I dont care about.

Plow, dude, seriously- where do you come up with some of this stuff? Farnsworth had like a 4.40 ERA before he came to the Yanks, with 7 years under his belt. Gonzalez has basically been in the majors for 3 years and has been pretty stellar. Not a whole lot of similarity there, dude.

I think Yankee fans, much like Red Sox fans, are very wary right now of any pitcher with arm troubles, which is why they're reluctant to let go of Melky. I think you should trade him now, though, while the getting's good. I wouldn't, however, trade Proctor and Melky for him, if that's what the discussion is. What's the point in that?

where are you in new york?

If you're anywhere below 50th street, i know what you mean.

I can handle the 70's because central park is really nice. I really like up in riverdale where my school is.

Below 50, that explains it. It's not that I can't handle the city...it's just that I'm not a fan of something that big, where the air you breathe is undoubtedly fresh out of someone else's lungs...where you can get pregnant just by holding a subway pole. But hey, I survived, had a good time...guess that's all that counts...doesn't change my opinion of the city though.

Plow, dude, seriously- where do you come up with some of this stuff? Farnsworth had like a 4.40 ERA before he came to the Yanks, with 7 years under his belt. Gonzalez has basically been in the majors for 3 years and has been pretty stellar. Not a whole lot of similarity there, dude.

I think Yankee fans, much like Red Sox fans, are very wary right now of any pitcher with arm troubles, which is why they're reluctant to let go of Melky. I think you should trade him now, though, while the getting's good. I wouldn't, however, trade Proctor and Melky for him, if that's what the discussion is. What's the point in that?

farsnworth's year before coming to the yanks was this...

detroit 42.2 IP 55 K 2.32 ERA .192 BAA

atlanta 27.1 IP 32 K 1.98 ERA .161 BAA

combined 70 IP 87 K 2.19 ERA .180 BAA 16 saves 19 holds 2 blown saves

oh what i am talking about, thats not good or anything.

farsnworth's year before coming to the yanks was this...

detroit 42.2 IP 55 K 2.32 ERA .192 BAA

atlanta 27.1 IP 32 K 1.98 ERA .161 BAA

combined 70 IP 87 K 2.19 ERA .180 BAA 16 saves 19 holds 2 blown saves

oh what i am talking about, thats not good or anything.

lol So you're comparing one season? I think that sound I hear is Yankee fans sighing with relief that you're not the GM.