SportsWrath

Fassel gets a job....

xxi-xxv

They were debating this on Sirius this evening, its almost as if Fassel has to be head and shoulders above everyone else in the league to prove himself, if they are bad he is completely ruined. Although the naysayers will say big deal, its the UFL.

Either way, in all honesty this guy is a better HC than many out there and its true he must have done something awful behind the scenes...

grounds to be blackballed?

No, if it was now, he'd be made GM.

I know there's something, I hate to keep bringing this up, but the summer that Coughlin was hired was the time some of us were asked to the Giants.com forum. What was really strange about that day, was the guffawing and eye raising that was done by the staff every time Fassel's name was mentioned and the reverance that seemed to be showered on Coughlin. I noticed it, Ggirl was with me that day but I don't know if she shares my feelings on it.

The 2nd thing that striking about it was in Accorsi's book, Fassel's 7 years as a coach barely gets 3 pages, 2 of which are telling you he didn't hire him, and a shot against him towards the end of the book about the offense in the superbowl. that's really alarming considering the length of time he was there and that he had some success.

and if he was so bad, then how do you piss off a franchise that put up with LT's antics, Keith Hamilton's drug excursions, bringing in guys like Christian Peter, hiring that creepy so and so Ray handley.

I really think the Baltimore thing screwed him more than the Giants and Billick reaaly fucked him over, Fassel is clearly bitter over this.

It's sad to see what has happened him, I don't doubt he'd do a job in the league. He's on the radio here in New York a lot and he sounds very desperate. But for all his desperation to get a coaching job in the NFL, he insists he never wants to coach college, and honetstly, he might be more suited to that, because he's more of a teacher.

If he goes to the UFL, he's toast, he's never getting anything and worse, he'll lose TV and radio gigs also.

I know there's something, I hate to keep bringing this up, but the summer that Coughlin was hired was the time some of us were asked to the Giants.com forum. What was really strange about that day, was the guffawing and eye raising that was done by the staff every time Fassel's name was mentioned and the reverance that seemed to be showered on Coughlin. I noticed it, Ggirl was with me that day but I don't know if she shares my feelings on it.

The 2nd thing that striking about it was in Accorsi's book, Fassel's 7 years as a coach barely gets 3 pages, 2 of which are telling you he didn't hire him, and a shot against him towards the end of the book about the offense in the superbowl. that's really alarming considering the length of time he was there and that he had some success.

and if he was so bad, then how do you piss off a franchise that put up with LT's antics, Keith Hamilton's drug excursions, bringing in guys like Christian Peter, hiring that creepy so and so Ray handley.

I really think the Baltimore thing screwed him more than the Giants and Billick reaaly fucked him over, Fassel is clearly bitter over this.

It's sad to see what has happened him, I don't doubt he'd do a job in the league. He's on the radio here in New York a lot and he sounds very desperate. But for all his desperation to get a coaching job in the NFL, he insists he never wants to coach college, and honetstly, he might be more suited to that, because he's more of a teacher.

If he goes to the UFL, he's toast, he's never getting anything and worse, he'll lose TV and radio gigs also.

In all honesty, I agreed with Accorsi and Toomers assesment of the Giants in SB XXXV, its just that I did not need them to tell me so to realize what I at least knew. Seems like piling on almost.

I cannot imagine what he could have done. You hear the rumors and such, but it truly makes you wonder. Were the Giants pissed off that he took the job considering that supposed call by Parcells to Mara that he will not take the Jet job in 97 unless the Giant job is not his, Mara calls GY and GY says he already made the hire and cannot go back on his word? Do they blame Fassel for this? Weird.

Again, I do not like him as a coach. I feel he did not focus enough on many of the things that were needed to win game consistently in the NFL. Does not mean he is worse than the likes of Wade Philips(who does the same thing but worse), Tom Cable(who has like a .200 win % in his entitre coaching career, college, pros AND high school)Norv Turner etc etc etc.

I thought for sure he would get another job sooner or later.

In all honesty, I agreed with Accorsi and Toomers assesment of the Giants in SB XXXV, its just that I did not need them to tell me so to realize what I at least knew. Seems like piling on almost.

I cannot imagine what he could have done. You hear the rumors and such, but it truly makes you wonder. Were the Giants pissed off that he took the job considering that supposed call by Parcells to Mara that he will not take the Jet job in 97 unless the Giant job is not his, Mara calls GY and GY says he already made the hire and cannot go back on his word? Do they blame Fassel for this? Weird.

Again, I do not like him as a coach. I feel he did not focus enough on many of the things that were needed to win game consistently in the NFL. Does not mean he is worse than the likes of Wade Philips(who does the same thing but worse), Tom Cable(who has like a .200 win % in his entitre coaching career, college, pros AND high school)Norv Turner etc etc etc.

I thought for sure he would get another job sooner or later.

Yeah, I really think Accorsi is the guy who has torpedoed Fassel.

When your former GM tells everyone that going into the Super Bowl that Fassel had no game plan, that's pretty toxic.

If the UFL is going to take off, now is the time with Arena football closing down.

Reportedly, the Mets are looking to bringing a team in. MLS team also.

Well I sure hope Fassel has nothing to do with the Wilpon team, god forbid he needed a good WR.....

I don't think it's anything that sinister. Obviously, he's not the best interview. More importantly, there is a youth movement going on in NFL coaches and he is getting caught up in that. and the UFL stint is better for him in the long run than the raiders job.

I don't think it's anything that sinister. Obviously, he's not the best interview. More importantly, there is a youth movement going on in NFL coaches and he is getting caught up in that. and the UFL stint is better for him in the long run than the raiders job.

I would agree blu if he were out of the league 2 years, but its now 5 full seasons since he was last a HC and in that time the likes of Turner, the boob in Dallas, Denny Green, Herm have all gotten second chances and Jim has to be viewed strictly on results better than these guys.

Totally agree on the Raiders job .... maybe they will hire him when they fire Cable in week 5 next year.

I would agree blu if he were out of the league 2 years, but its now 5 full seasons since he was last a HC and in that time the likes of Turner, the boob in Dallas, Denny Green, Herm have all gotten second chances and Jim has to be viewed strictly on results better than these guys.

Totally agree on the Raiders job .... maybe they will hire him when they fire Cable in week 5 next year.

i'm a recruiter and i get candidates now and then that finish 2nd everywhere they go. it's not that their references suck or anything, just that someone stronger knocks them out. then, after a while, they start to get an 'avis attitude' (always #2) and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

i'm a recruiter and i get candidates now and then that finish 2nd everywhere they go. it's not that their references suck or anything, just that someone stronger knocks them out. then, after a while, they start to get an 'avis attitude' (always #2) and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe you need to contact Jim and give him some advice. Its almost like he knows he will not get the job so he goes in and is unimpressive.

Maybe you need to contact Jim and give him some advice. Its almost like he knows he will not get the job so he goes in and is unimpressive.

right, he doesn't believe in himself. writing a hand written letter to al davis asking for the job? that's pretty low self esteem.

Agree with you 100%. Also he has to rank up there as the second most naive guy on the planet when it comes to trust. Him and his best friend for life antics with Brian Billick was shameful. Even the water boy for the RAVENS could have told him what an asshole Billick was, is and always will be.....but all you heard prior to the SB was not how badly he wanted to kick him and his teams ass but how great buddies they were. Also his throwing Payton under the bus for the whole stagnating offense thing is another intangible that needs to be mentioned. But I mean come on....the Mangina can get another job in a week and Fassell can't get one for what is it now 7 years at any level. He should just pull a Pete Carrol and get a college job. Like you said that is where he could be the next Bear Bryant. He is just one of those clueless individuals who just cannot fathom why everyone hates him.

I had a stint of those types of interviews. You just have to do an honest self assessment and then get back into the fray. The battle ax spent 5 years doing this; goes on interviews and wows them with innovations and ways their organization would be bettered by implementing this or that; they love her and next thing you know there was no call back; then they hired someone else. But guess what they almost always implemented the innovations or changes that she mentioned would benefit xyz company during the interview. I used to tell her when I cared was that you come off poorly in interviews. You come off as a "NO" person. Someone who is not willing to bend or adapt; plus knowing what is "wrong" and knowing how to "fix it". You don't come off as a team player...more so like the whiz bang guy/gal who is going to overturn a lot of things and really churn the office politics all before you have completed your first week. :mellow: Most HR people would rather go with the mediocre than take a chance on the superstar that may or not pan out.

maybe he's wearing his NFCCG ring to the interviews

LOL!!! That tells you right there he is willing to be OK with being second best. But Acorsi has a lot of nerve torpedoing anyone's career....as I remember there were all so many Championships on his various jobs as GM. :rolleyes: