SportsWrath

Free Agency Underway!

Sephiroth

A) He also had the league's top defense and running game.

B) NFC North was not a deep division. His career record against the usually weak Browns & Bengals combined was 40-14, giving him one foot in the playoff door before the season started.

B) That was then, this is now.

It also occurs to me that all the things you seem to hate about TC - stubborn, (supposedly) thinks injuries are a lack of toughness, (supposedly) more of a cheerleader than X & O guy, conservative play caller (in fact, the old Steelers were downright predictable!).....that's pretty much where Cowher lived! You'd be screaming for Cowhers head before Thanksgiving!

No... not the league's best D and running game! Anything but that! You can't make the playoffs with a retread coach that relies on those things... just ask the Pats and Seahawks!

All joking aside though, I think you might be confusing me with another poster. I like a tough running game and defense, and I like the "cheerleader" aspect of Coughlin. My problems with him are that he's too loyal to ineffective coaches and players (Kiwi, O'Hara, etc), and that he's a horrific manager of injured players (Nicks,JPP, etc). I think he's a brilliant X's and O's guy who's players are pretty much prepared for anything, but gets undone by a shitty conditioning coach, bad GM, and poor coordinators.

I know Cowher's an unpopular pick on the boards and I intend to have fun pulling for him for the next 10 months or so... but if he does become the next coach, I'd give him a 3-year window of success.

O'Hara?

The year he was released he was 1 year removed from the probowl.

The year he made the Pro Bowl he played in something like six games. He had been playing poorly and Seubert came in and was playing awesome, but instead of letting Seubert stay there he put O'Hara back in (probably also too soon). The Giants didn't rush for more than 100 yards after the switch.

The year he made the Pro Bowl he played in something like six games. He had been playing poorly and Seubert came in and was playing awesome, but instead of letting Seubert stay there he put O'Hara back in (probably also too soon). The Giants didn't rush for more than 100 yards after the switch.

He also made the probowl the year before. Which he played all 16 games. and 2008 where he played all 16 games.

So basically, you say they held onto him too long, but really they kept him after back to back pro bowl seasons where he started every game. and then he had the year where he played only 6, and then they cut him.

He also made the probowl the year before. Which he played all 16 games. and 2008 where he played all 16 games.

So basically, you say they held onto him too long, but really they kept him after back to back pro bowl seasons where he started every game. and then he had the year where he played only 6, and then they cut him.

What I'm saying is when you have a guy that's hurt, and his replacement is playing at an equal to greater level, you leave in the guy who's healthy and crushing it.

Coughlin did the same thing when Diehl got hurt a few years back and that RT came in (name escapes me at the moment) who clearly played better, but lost his job because loyalty.

What I'm saying is when you have a guy that's hurt, and his replacement is playing at an equal to greater level, you leave in the guy who's healthy and crushing it.

Coughlin did the same thing when Diehl got hurt a few years back and that RT came in (name escapes me at the moment) who clearly played better, but lost his job because loyalty.

Locklear?

Ok, I really thought you were talking in the sense of keeping guys years after they should have been cut.

Its a matter of perception. Tom Coughlin isn't the only coach in the NFL who gives the guy who won the job in training camp back his job if he is coming back off of an injury during the season. It is more about rewarding the player who put in the effort than loyalty. I'm really curious about who beat Diehl out because I'd like to figure out what happened to him afterwards.

Its a matter of perception. Tom Coughlin isn't the only coach in the NFL who gives the guy who won the job in training camp back his job if he is coming back off of an injury during the season. It is more about rewarding the player who put in the effort than loyalty. I'm really curious about who beat Diehl out because I'd like to figure out what happened to him afterwards.

No that's true. Its just that lots of good players... Tom Brady, Chad Brown, Mark Bavaro... only got their job because the guy ahead of them got hurt. The guys I talked about weren't that caliber of player, but they were playing better than the guy ahead of them.

I just kind of feel like you should stick with the hot hand and let the other guy heal 100%. That guy who got his job taken away will come back more pissed off and hungry too instead of just having his old job handed back to him.

And the player I was thinking of was Sean Locklear. After Diehl took his job back, Locklear...

wait for it...

got injured. Stunner, I know.

So is there anyone left that can help this fucking team? I would have liked to have seen Wilfork at least get a sniff.

The only other guys out there I"d be interested in are:

Germaine Gresham - not great at anything, but OK at everything. I think he might be had on a 4-million per year salary.

Jake Long - only on a cap safe, pay-for-play style deal. Nothing guaranteed. Again, can we at least ask? Let him know we're interested?

Brandon Spikes - the LBs we signed do nothing for me. At least this guy gives you two good downs.

BJ Raji - same deal as Jake Long

There's pretty much no safeties left.

Still plenty of time and players available the Giants can sign to improve the team. I mean come on guys we were far from dominant or loaded at any position.

Free agency this year was ridiculous with so many top tier players have deals concluded days before the official start. The NFL should have done more than just a send out a letter and if it happens next year there should be some serious consequences.

Still plenty of time and players available the Giants can sign to improve the team. I mean come on guys we were far from dominant or loaded at any position.

Free agency this year was ridiculous with so many top tier players have deals concluded days before the official start. The NFL should have done more than just a send out a letter and if it happens next year there should be some serious consequences.

I don't think it would have mattered... the top FA got paid a whole lot which we can't afford nor should we afford. Maybe it's the homer in me but this team's best acquisition this offseason may turn out to be Spags. Couple that with maybe no more above average injury bug and we're cooking.

Looking at our D, we have 2 above average players on the DLine... and the DE we got from Denver last year ... Ayers. He played very well in his part time duties. I don't have a problem seeing him full time.

Our LBs consist of Beason, Kennard, and McClain.. that's a very solid group.

Our CBs consist of Prince on one side and DRC on the other...

The concern is at Safety but it's not like Rolle was setting the world on fire....

I'd rather strike out swinging than looking. My main issue is we've sat back and pretty much done exactly what the Jets did last season. Players are available... we have $8m in cap space... Reese doesn't attempt to bring anyone in. Why?

I'd rather strike out swinging than looking. My main issue is we've sat back and pretty much done exactly what the Jets did last season. Players are available... we have $8m in cap space... Reese doesn't attempt to bring anyone in. Why?

Because most of them are going to cost more than that in cap space.

People forget about the singing bonus on top of the cap number players will take up their first year.

One top of the draft picks you have to sign.

The Giant's were never in a good spot cap wise this offseason, I don't see why people think otherwise, unless we start cutting players and be 30 million over the cap next season.

I don't think it would have mattered... the top FA got paid a whole lot which we can't afford nor should we afford. Maybe it's the homer in me but this team's best acquisition this offseason may turn out to be Spags. Couple that with maybe no more above average injury bug and we're cooking.

Looking at our D, we have 2 above average players on the DLine... and the DE we got from Denver last year ... Ayers. He played very well in his part time duties. I don't have a problem seeing him full time.

Our LBs consist of Beason, Kennard, and McClain.. that's a very solid group.

Our CBs consist of Prince on one side and DRC on the other...

The concern is at Safety but it's not like Rolle was setting the world on fire....

That lineup is pathetic compared to even washington, though.

Because most of them are going to cost more than that in cap space.

People forget about the singing bonus on top of the cap number players will take up their first year.

One top of the draft picks you have to sign.

The Giant's were never in a good spot cap wise this offseason, I don't see why people think otherwise, unless we start cutting players and be 30 million over the cap next season.

That's the thing though, the giants seem content in riding out Mannings insane contract and allowing Pierre-Paul to eat up 14 million in cap space. They could have easily had 30 million in cap space.

That's the thing though, the giants seem content in riding out Mannings insane contract and allowing Pierre-Paul to eat up 14 million in cap space. They could have easily had 30 million in cap space.

I'm sure the Giant's tried to be 30 million in cap space.

But you cant force guys like Eli and JPP into contracts/extensions that are beneficial to the team when the only possibility of that happening is if their agents decide it.

We could of let JPP walk (and we should have) and I cant see the Giant's telling Manning to sign an extension or they are going to cut him.

It's only as pathetic as Fewel allowed it to be.

Spagnuolo still needs talent though...neither linebacker is a candidate to start, in my estimation. Two fringe special team players, a third down, pass catching back, and a kick returner who may or may not stick as the 4th WR...these signings don't help spagnuolo. The defense has gotten worse in fact. Losing Rolle and Thurmond immediately weakens the secondary. Gotta hope they have something in Cooper ad Berhe...

Spagnuolo still needs talent though...neither linebacker is a candidate to start, in my estimation. Two fringe special team players, a third down, pass catching back, and a kick returner who may or may not stick as the 4th WR...these signings don't help spagnuolo. The defense has gotten worse in fact. Losing Rolle and Thurmond immediately weakens the secondary. Gotta hope they have something in Cooper ad Berhe...

Did Thurmond see the field to begin with? Rolle was on the decline and was over priced anyway.....

The defense was bad because Fewel sucked donkey balls. Fewel had enough talent to at least not underachieve..