SportsWrath

TE Jake Ballard Waived

Lughead

I read an article yesterday in the NY papers that said Coughlin was really pissed about losing Ballard and hinted at being pissed at the front office for dangling him out there. Now today's news says Eli is just as pissed about it.

Eli Shocked by Loss of Ballard
(ProFootballNews)

When the Patriots claimed Giants tight end Jake Ballard on waivers earlier this week, plenty of Giants fans cycled quickly through the five phases of grief and landed at a sixth: indifference.

Coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning haven’t quite gotten there yet.

“Obviously, just shocked,” Manning said on ESPN’s SportsCenter this morning regarding his reaction to the news.

He said that Ballard “played a huge role” for the team’s offense, and that Eli believed Ballard “was going to be a big part of this offense” in the future, after recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the Super Bowl.

Manning said he understood how it all happened, with the Giants trying to slide a “non-vested” player through waivers so that he could be put on injured reserve (technically, it’s the reserve/PUP list, since the injury happened before he passed a physical in the current year). And Manning characterized the Patriots’ submission of a waivers claim as “sweep[ing] in and stealing [ballard] from us.”

I really despise Belichick. He's a dick!

i liked ballard but let's be real, he's slow and replaceable. and our offense doesn't lean heavily on TE's anyway

He made some incredible catches, wracked up over 600 yds receiving (while seldom being thrown to) and was very solid when asked to block. I tend to think TC and Eli are pretty good at assessing Ballard's worth. If he was simply slow and replaceable, those two certainly wouldn't be so pissed.

He made some incredible catches, wracked up over 600 yds receiving (while seldom being thrown to) and was very solid when asked to block. I tend to think TC and Eli are pretty good at assessing Ballard's worth. If he was simply slow and replaceable, those two certainly wouldn't be so pissed.

im not trying to talk shit about him. i like ballard a lot but he IS slow and when you consider how little TE factors into our passing game plan i think he is replaceable.

From the interview I heard with Youngmisuk it sounded like they wanted to put him on the PUP list. Don't know why they have to go this way but it sounded highly unlikely that he won't clear waivers given his injury. He should be a Giant again soon.

(Unless the Patriots pick him up in spite or something.)

-Z

:ph34r:

-Z

Guest StrahansGap

I think I'm losing faith in the Giants fans here. This is Jake Ballard were talking about, correct? Jake Ballard. The unknown, unheard of scrub that nobody here gave a rats ass about when we picked him up last year. I'm I getting this correct?

Who gives a shit?

Last year I went out on a limb and said Victor Cruz was going to be a pro bowler.......before the season started, I said it. Everyone thought I was nuts. Well, I was right.

This year, my money is on Martellus Bennett. Our new TE. The guy will be a beast. Trust me. Ballard will be completely forgotten by week 3. I'm going all in.......Bennett will be a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm losing faith in the Giants fans here. This is Jake Ballard were talking about, correct? Jake Ballard. The unknown, unheard of scrub that nobody here gave a rats ass about when we picked him up last year. I'm I getting this correct?

Who gives a shit?

Last year I went out on a limb and said Victor Cruz was going to be a pro bowler.......before the season started, I said it. Everyone thought I was nuts. Well, I was right.

This year, my money is on Martellus Bennett. Our new TE. The guy will be a beast. Trust me. Ballard will be completely forgotten by week 3. I'm going all in.......Bennett will be a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ballard was no "scrub". The Giants invested 2 years developing him into a solid NFL tight end. He is the perfect size at 6'6", 270 for an NFL TE and super strong and only 24 years old meaning the next 5 years he will be in his peak.

In college he was primarily used as a blocker on the offensive line, but made some spectacular passing plays when called upon such as the critical one in which helped win the Rose Bowl. He won Ohio State's "Jim Parker Award" for the best offensive lineman....the first time in college history that a TE won the award because he was so talented....and this on a team in which was ranked no. 3 in the country for their offensive line.

After the Giants invested 2 years developing him into a professional, he got his chance in his 3rd year when Boss took the money and ran. All Ballard did was wrack up over 600 yds receiving and 4 TD's on a pass happy team that featured Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. Like it or not, those numbers are better than Boss' numbers and are exceptional for a TE used primarily for blocking. If the Giants were more inclined to use the TE in the passing game, it's feasible that Ballard would have had many more yards. Ballard had exceptionally soft hands and was crafty at getting free. He made some very difficult plays and was only getting better.

To suddenly pretend that Ballard was a "scrub" - or basically a "nobody" - is nonsense. I'm excited as the next guy about the speed of Adrian Robinson.....but he's green as grass, smaller in size, and will not be used much for blocking.....and he's an unproven rookie. His size and stats read a lot like Travis Beckum's from the scouts at draft time....."fast", "good hands", "not ideal size", etc. And I remind you that Beckum has wracked up 251 yards receiving in 3 years and 3 TDs. If Robinson wracks up 600 yards in a single season, people will be going crazy over him, but it will be difficult because Gilly can't stick Robinson in the game without the defense knowing there's a possible pass play because there is no way Robinson will be used for blocking like a lineman. Also, we have Bennett who is (was) the ideal size at 6'6", but his pushing 300 lbs means he will be used primarily for blocking as he doesn't have a reputation of having soft hands. Maybe he can develop into a pass catching TE over the next couple of years as he learns the Giants' system and Eli begins to have faith in him. Time will tell.

Anyway.....there's a reason TC and Eli are upset at the loss of Ballard and it has nothing to do with Belichick screwing the team over.....it's because they lost a solid football player who was the right size, the right mind set, and had 2 years playing with the Giants learning the system. It drives me crazy when fans think Ballard was simply a scrub that can be replaced by anybody off the street. A 6'6" blocking TE that wracks up over 600 yds receiving is NOT a scrub.

Here's a little video of him making the critical catch that allowed Ohio State to win the Rose Bowl.......and remember, he was the best offensive lineman on the team and wasn't an offensive lineman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDJFopYvJc

Guest StrahansGap

Ballard was no "scrub". The Giants invested 2 years developing him into a solid NFL tight end. He is the perfect size at 6'6", 270 for an NFL TE and super strong and only 24 years old meaning the next 5 years he will be in his peak.

In college he was primarily used as a blocker on the offensive line, but made some spectacular passing plays when called upon such as the critical one in which helped win the Rose Bowl. He won Ohio State's "Jim Parker Award" for the best offensive lineman....the first time in college history that a TE won the award because he was so talented....and this on a team in which was ranked no. 3 in the country for their offensive line.

After the Giants invested 2 years developing him into a professional, he got his chance in his 3rd year when Boss took the money and ran. All Ballard did was wrack up over 600 yds receiving and 4 TD's on a pass happy team that featured Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. Like it or not, those numbers are better than Boss' numbers and are exceptional for a TE used primarily for blocking. If the Giants were more inclined to use the TE in the passing game, it's feasible that Ballard would have had many more yards. Ballard had exceptionally soft hands and was crafty at getting free. He made some very difficult plays and was only getting better.

To suddenly pretend that Ballard was a "scrub" - or basically a "nobody" - is nonsense. I'm excited as the next guy about the speed of Adrian Robinson.....but he's green as grass, smaller in size, and will not be used much for blocking.....and he's an unproven rookie. His size and stats read a lot like Travis Beckum's from the scouts at draft time....."fast", "good hands", "not ideal size", etc. And I remind you that Beckum has wracked up 251 yards receiving in 3 years and 3 TDs. If Robinson wracks up 600 yards in a single season, people will be going crazy over him, but it will be difficult because Gilly can't stick Robinson in the game without the defense knowing there's a possible pass play because there is no way Robinson will be used for blocking like a lineman. Also, we have Bennett who is (was) the ideal size at 6'6", but his pushing 300 lbs means he will be used primarily for blocking as he doesn't have a reputation of having soft hands. Maybe he can develop into a pass catching TE over the next couple of years as he learns the Giants' system and Eli begins to have faith in him. Time will tell.

Anyway.....there's a reason TC and Eli are upset at the loss of Ballard and it has nothing to do with Belichick screwing the team over.....it's because they lost a solid football player who was the right size, the right mind set, and had 2 years playing with the Giants learning the system. It drives me crazy when fans think Ballard was simply a scrub that can be replaced by anybody off the street. A 6'6" blocking TE that wracks up over 600 yds receiving is NOT a scrub.

Here's a little video of him making the critical catch that allowed Ohio State to win the Rose Bowl.......and remember, he was the best offensive lineman on the team and wasn't an offensive lineman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDJFopYvJc

You're twisting my words. I called Ballard a scrub before the season started. Didnt say he didn't contribute to the super bowl run. I said that nobody here gave a rats ass about the signing BEFORE the season started....including you. And although he was good, I think what we have in beckum, Bennett, and Robinson is better. Eli will make it work like he did with Ballard. Our TE coach is one of the best in the league. This is why I have put my faith into Bennett. He's going to turn more heads than Ballard did last year. Trust me. Not to mention, Ballard's durability is already in question and it was only his first year with the team. No thanks .

It's time to move on. He's gone. Bye, bye. Let's start putting our faith and energy into the TE's that are here instead. That's all I'm saying.

You're twisting my words. I called Ballard a scrub before the season started. Didnt say he didn't contribute to the super bowl run. I said that nobody here gave a rats ass about the signing BEFORE the season started....including you. And although he was good, I think what we have in beckum, Bennett, and Robinson is better. Eli will make it work like he did with Ballard. Our TE coach is one of the best in the league. This is why I have put my faith into Bennett. He's going to turn more heads than Ballard did last year. Trust me. Not to mention, Ballard's durability is already in question and it was only his first year with the team. No thanks .

It's time to move on. He's gone. Bye, bye. Let's start putting our faith and energy into the TE's that are here instead. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't twist your words....you called Ballard a "scrub"...or your exact words: "Jake Ballard. The unknown, unheard of scrub that nobody here gave a rats ass about when we picked him up last year".

We picked him up as an undrafted free agent and he made the practice squad because we had Boss/Pascoe/Beckum set to go. He was stellar throughout his time on the practice squad and was the primary reason TC didn't worry about Boss jumping ship. Pope and TC believed Ballard was ready to step in and was possibly better than Boss in the long run.....otherwise, they would have made a good enough offer to keep Boss.

I'd link you to my old posts, but this new board and format only allows you to go bact to the end of 2011. But I started a post before the season started last year entitled, "How Bout a Little Love for Ballard" as I had followed his career closely and believed he was going to end up being an excellent TE. Many agreed.

So it's interesting that TC, Eli, and I feel the loss of Ballard is pretty big.....yet you believe he was nothing more than an unheard of scrub that nobody gave a rats ass about. Apparantly the Giants head coach and the quarterback gave a rats ass about. Maybe you can explain why TC is angry and Eli is upset. Perhaps they don't know nearly as much about football as you.

Regardless.....he was anything but a scrub. Ballard accomplished far more in 12 games than 3rd round draft pick Travis Beckum did in three years....and Beckum (listed as a "pass catching TE") was given every opportunity to show what he had. It took him 3 years to wrack up 300 yds and 3 TDs. Ballard had one shot and wracked up over 600 yds and 4 TDs in a third of the time. Scrubs don't wrack up those kind of numbers, especially when our three main WR's combined for 3251 yards. And to put it in perspective, Manningham was pretty damn good....and he wracked up 523 yards and 4 TDs with arguably many more opportunities than Ballard got. For a rookie, Ballard showed he had great potential. Not many rookies do as well as Ballard did in his rookie year.

I don't know which "Ballard" you thought was a scrub.....but it certainly wasn't the Ballard on the Giants team.

Guest StrahansGap

I didn't twist your words....you called Ballard a "scrub"...or your exact words: "Jake Ballard. The unknown, unheard of scrub that nobody here gave a rats ass about when we picked him up last year".

We picked him up as an undrafted free agent and he made the practice squad because we had Boss/Pascoe/Beckum set to go. He was stellar throughout his time on the practice squad and was the primary reason TC didn't worry about Boss jumping ship. Pope and TC believed Ballard was ready to step in and was possibly better than Boss in the long run.....otherwise, they would have made a good enough offer to keep Boss.

I'd link you to my old posts, but this new board and format only allows you to go bact to the end of 2011. But I started a post before the season started last year entitled, "How Bout a Little Love for Ballard" as I had followed his career closely and believed he was going to end up being an excellent TE. Many agreed.

So it's interesting that TC, Eli, and I feel the loss of Ballard is pretty big.....yet you believe he was nothing more than an unheard of scrub that nobody gave a rats ass about. Apparantly the Giants head coach and the quarterback gave a rats ass about. Maybe you can explain why TC is angry and Eli is upset. Perhaps they don't know nearly as much about football as you.

Regardless.....he was anything but a scrub. Ballard accomplished far more in 12 games than 3rd round draft pick Travis Beckum did in three years....and Beckum (listed as a "pass catching TE") was given every opportunity to show what he had. It took him 3 years to wrack up 300 yds and 3 TDs. Ballard had one shot and wracked up over 600 yds and 4 TDs in a third of the time. Scrubs don't wrack up those kind of numbers, especially when our three main WR's combined for 3251 yards. And to put it in perspective, Manningham was pretty damn good....and he wracked up 523 yards and 4 TDs with arguably many more opportunities than Ballard got. For a rookie, Ballard showed he had great potential. Not many rookies do as well as Ballard did in his rookie year.

I don't know which "Ballard" you thought was a scrub.....but it certainly wasn't the Ballard on the Giants team.

Ok. Then everyone in the world was wrong about Ballard except you. Congrats.

If he was so good.....he wouldn't have went undrafted. Enough already Mel Kiper.

Ok. Then everyone in the world was wrong about Ballard except you. Congrats.

If he was so good.....he wouldn't have went undrafted. Enough already Mel Kiper.

Not just me slick.....Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning have both stated the same thing. Now I know those two guys know much less than you about evaluating talent, but they still wanted to keep him on the team. As far as fans laughing it off as no big deal....I kinda take fans for what they are: non-professional football onlookers. I have much more faith in TC and Eli in judging a players worth than a couch potato watching football on Sundays.

I could spend hours bringing up undrafted players who ended up superstars in the NFL like Wes Walker, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and how bout Antonio Gates...an undrafted player who turned out to be the best Tight End in the last decade and holds the record for the most touchdowns by a TE in NFL history.

And by the way, interestingly, Mel Kiper gave the Giants a "C" grade in the 2009 draft and thought Nicks was NOT a first rounder and that Beatty could've been had in the later rounds and the only player he gave a solid grade to was Travis Beckum. I am NOT a Mel Kiper clone.

I am not too upset about losing Ballard, he had tons of drops and was slow and like Osi said, I didn't see that he was a great blocker. You guys comparing him to Mark Bavaro is absurd.

I don't recall anyone on this board comparing him to Bavaro, but if you want to go that route, Bavaro started all 16 games, caught 37 passes for 511 yds in his rookie year and fans were ecstatic.

His best year he caught 66 passes for 1001 yds. In the last five years in the NFL, he wracked up 278 yds, 393 yds, 315 yds, 481 yds, and 215 yds respectively. He averaged 526 yds per season in his career.

Regardless.....Bavaro brought something to the game that few TE's ever do and no one is saying that Ballard is Bavaro. But to write Ballard off as a scrub and yawn as if it's nothing is kind of silly.

I didn't think we'd particularly miss Boss, and now I'll say I don't think we'll particularly miss Ballard. I liked him but he will be replaced.

He isn't athletic enough to be a dominant tight end. That's what I want, a guy like Jermichael Finley. Look for that to be Adrien Robinson (who Bleedin has dissed since we drafted him without having absolutely any knowledge about him as a prospect, Gap nailed it when he called him Kiper).

I absolutely think Bear Pascoe can be a player in the mold of Jake Ballard....maybe not quite as big (not sure either's height and weight) but Pascoe was just as clutch in some situations....Ballard was on the field more, though. Plus, I like Pascoe in the backfield as of a sort of H-back (think Dallas Clark type role)

Guest StrahansGap

Eli made Ballard look a lot better than he was, but I believe he's already been replaced. No big deal.

Boohyah!!! That's all I'm trying to say.

Boohyah!!! That's all I'm trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, the kid played better than expected, but I think the league and fans in general got real excited that we might have an instant replacement for Boss. It's the same sort of excitement we had for Joe Montgomery IMO.

Guest StrahansGap

Don't get me wrong, the kid played better than expected, but I think the league and fans in general got real excited that we might have an instant replacement for Boss. It's the same sort of excitement we had for Joe Montgomery IMO.

Played better than I expected too. I never said a bad thing about his play. But nobody here can tell me with a straight face that they were excited when we signed Jake Ballard.....especially you Bleedin. And this has been my argument all along.

Bleedin, if you can find me one article where TC and/or Eli gave ANY type of opinion (good or bad or indifferent) on the Jake Ballard signing before he stepped foot on the field as a NY Giant, I'll happily eat crow. To say that TC and Eli are sad to see him go now, is a completely moot point. It doesn't back your word against mine at all. Of course they are upset. Why wouldn't they be?