SportsWrath

Perry Fewell: Greatest Defensive Coordinator in the NFL Today

Tempest

Fewell is not a blitzing coordinator and we collect linebackers that reflect that I think. Spags was a blitzing coordinator and with all the Spags vs Fewell comparisons I'd like to point out that Spags actually had more talent on his roster and key veterans.

My point still is that our defense would not be significantly better with more blitzing. Washington matched up better than we did and were able to do better.

'More blitzing' is a facile solution. I think its more about manufacturing pressure by using scheme to penetrate the quarterback's protection. I saw what happened on Monday night, and our linebackers may suck, but so do Washington's.

Their LB's are really good

Orakpo is the second best LB on that team and he's light years ahead of anyone we've got on the roster.

Well he's a 1st rounder and I think he was drafted as a DE...

And he didn't play on Monday night. Out for the season.

(Thats the only reason I say their linebackers suck as much as the Giants.)

And his blitz packages have sucked. He thinks the only kind of blitz is rushing 5.

Exactly....he's not creative.

They are talking about using Moore as a DE, and moving Kiwi inside. How about using Moore as a OLB rushing blitzer? Keep Kiwi in there, maybe move him over to rush their best blocker (because you know he's going to get neutralized anyway)......put JPP against their weakest pass blocker, put Ayers against their 2nd weakest pass blocker, have Moore come in as a blizter, and move Kennard over to middle lineback?

They left 3 in coverage and got home. Sometimes just being willing to overwhelm in numbers, or even the realistic threat of it, helps your defense. I realize DRC isn't healthy right now. But get real, this has been a season long problem that absolutely is connected to Perry Fewell's timid 3rd down philosophy. I absolutely think we would be better if we routinely sent 6 or more on 3rd and long.

DRC is worthless if the QB has 6+ seconds to throw. Nobody can cover that long. Not Revis, not Dick Sherman, not Neon Deion. Just throwing your hands up and saying our linebackers aren't good enough to do it is pretty lame. It's scheme, it's play design, it's also part coach 'em up.

We've invested big free agent dollars in Rolle and DRC, and a first round pick in Prince, I think they should be given the opportunity the way Haslett gave an opportunity to a 4th round rookie in Bashaud Breeland to do the same against arguably the best receiver in the NFL, and David Amerson.

Giants opponents have shown over and over that asking 7 and sometimes 8 guys to cover for as long as they have had to cover doesn't work, so all those extra guys hanging out in the secondary are wasted anyway on the inevitable 3rd and long conversion.

BTW, Orakpo is out for the season and didn't even play against the Cowboys. Kerrigan is a good player, so is Perry Riley. But McClain is better than most Giants' fans are currently giving him credit for, and Kennard supposedly has talent so we will see. But the Giants definitely blitz far too little, their blitz schemes are not disguised well, and they are not creative. This is an indictment of Fewell at this point in the season. To put it another way, he sucks, and we are seeing the most passive defense since Tim Lewis. When you think of Giants football, you do not think, "passive defense", yet that is exactly what we have.

really? Other than Kerrigan, I'm not impressed.

Perry Riley and Keenan Robinson are really good and those were the guys bringing the pressure against Dallas. They drafted Trent Murphy who did well in place of Orakpo and will be Orakpo's replacement

And he didn't play on Monday night. Out for the season.

(Thats the only reason I say their linebackers suck as much as the Giants.)

When is his contract over? I have no problem with the Giants going after him... payback for Cofield.

They are talking about using Moore as a DE, and moving Kiwi inside. How about using Moore as a OLB rushing blitzer? Keep Kiwi in there, maybe move him over to rush their best blocker (because you know he's going to get neutralized anyway)......put JPP against their weakest pass blocker, put Ayers against their 2nd weakest pass blocker, have Moore come in as a blizter, and move Kennard over to middle lineback?

Is Jenkins out or something? I'm not sure why Kiwi is considered better at DT than Jenkins or Peterson for that matter. If you want to keep Kiwi on the field (and he's the jack of all trades master of none) then Moore should be at LB... I swear this Giants organization makes me wonder if they suffer from dementia.

Perry Riley and Keenan Robinson are really good and those were the guys bringing the pressure against Dallas. They drafted Trent Murphy who did well in place of Orakpo and will be Orakpo's replacement

could be, I'm not very familiar with those guys, but what I saw on Monday were free pass rushers - literally any NFL linebacker would have gotten home against Romo on Monday.

Because Moore hasn't shown anything to make opposing offenses think he could legitimately drop into coverage or play the run. Everytime he lined up at OLB they'd know the play and complete a pass to the slot WR or TE on his side.

What Moore does have in spades is speed. I expect to see him not only pin his ears back and rush wide on passing downs but also get utilised for some DLine stunts.

could be, I'm not very familiar with those guys, but what I saw on Monday were free pass rushers - literally any NFL linebacker would have gotten home against Romo on Monday.

Exactly....and it's easier to play man when you know your entire assignment is to close and tackle, not position yourself to cover downfield.

If you're going to move a DE into a linebacker spot, you move Kiwinuka out there--he at least played as a linebacker at this level. But I doubt he has the speed to do it at this point.

I'd much rather see what Kennard can do, however, and Kiwi isn't an upgrade over Williams. And I sure hope they're not thinking of subbing out Hankins for Kiwi, because that isn't an upgrade, either.

Because Moore hasn't shown anything to make opposing offenses think he could legitimately drop into coverage or play the run. Everytime he lined up at OLB they'd know the play and complete a pass to the slot WR or TE on his side.

What Moore does have in spades is speed. I expect to see him not only pin his ears back and rush wide on passing downs but also get utilised for some DLine stunts.

Moore played OLB in college for 2 years....granted, it was a 3-4 scheme, but my point is I think there is a way to get him on the field as a blitzer in addition to their normal front 4.

Moore played OLB in college for 2 years....granted, it was a 3-4 scheme, but my point is I think there is a way to get him on the field as a blitzer in addition to their normal front 4.

Let's just say this: Moore is young and very athletic. When asked to rush the passer/kicker, he's gotten there faster than anyone else... and rushing 3 is much like "prevent defense"; a recipe for disaster.

Get blown off the LOS by 5+ yards every play? No thanks.

That's pretty much it and they disquise his weaknesses because they have a good DE in front of him in Bennett that can stop the run. I am talking in terms of position, Irvin plays a LEO LB role that I think Moore will be good at