SportsWrath

Offseason plan

parlintm

Hey all. New Transfer from giants.com, some of you may know me as parlintm over there. Since this is my first post ill lay out my offseason expectations/hopes for the giants. Please let me know what you think. One reason I came over here was because I would offer up ideas at the old sight and people would shoot them down (or try to) but would not give me concrete or realistic alternatives. Here goes, will probably be pretty long...

I think we can all agree that the following positions will remain the same (for the most part) from last year: QB, RB, FB, OL, DL and TE.

So here's my breakdown of the remaining positions:

LB - I think that Torbor, Green and Pierce will all be starters but this unit needs some quality depth.

CB - We will sign either Allen or a comparable FA to start. The other starter will be Webster. Nickel - Will P if he can return otherwise we're looking at deloach.

S - Gibil and Butler will be starters. I have faith in both of them to hold it down, but we could definitely use some depth.

WR - Plax is a good receiver. Amani is an aging, wily veteran who is a question mark from here on. I think any production he is able to give us is a positive, especially if he can stay healthy for 16 games. After these 2 we don't have anybody. The Giants were 2nd to last in the NFL in production by the third receiver position. We had a total of 186 receiving yards from these guys. People at Giants.com argued it's because we have a good tight end but there are plenty of teams (seattle and pitt to name 2) who had a productive tight end AND a good #3 receiver. Also, if Plax or Amani goes down... so does our season. I think this position is much weaker than people realize. If we get a good #3 receiver, our offense will become much less "predictable."

DRAFT:

Round 1: Chad Jackson. I believe that getting a quality #3 WR is a top priority. Jackson would fill our need perfectly and he would be a great target for Eli for many years. Here's his scouting report.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...hadjackson.html

Round 2: Best LB available. Whether we draft one in the 1st or 2nd round, the chances of him sitting on the bench to start the year are very good so I'd rather use the 1st round pick on someone that we know will start and contribute from day 1. Someone like Abdul Hodge will be available and can provide good young depth. Remember, Tatupa was a 2nd round pick last year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...abdulhodge.html

Round 3: Best corner available. Same goes for the CB position as linebacker. They probably won't be a starter but could push for playing time at the nickel. The draft is deep at this postion so there are a lot of different guys we could take here.

Round 4: Safety. This guy will be a backup to gibril and butler.

Rounds 5-7: Take best player available until we get a LB, DT and WR.

FA:

I'm assuming that we won't have too much money here to spend on FA's. The majority of our cap space will go to resigning Allen or another FA corner. We probably need to sign a punter too.

I think we could also use a vet Safety to backup or push to start in place of Butler. Also sign a DT and deep linebacker.

I want the team to look like this next year:

QB: Starter - Eli Reserves - Tim, FA

RB: Starter - Tiki 3rd down - Jacobs Resreves - Ward, Morton

FB: Finn

OL - Same

TE - Same

WR: Starters - Plax, amani, CHAD JACKSON Reserves - Late round pick, Tyree, Ponder, Taylor

DL - Same + cheap FA, late round pick

LB: Starters - Green, Pierce, Torbor Reserves - Round 2 pick, Blackburn, Eric Moore, Late round pick

S: Startes - Gibril, Butler Reserves - Round 4 pick, FA

CB: Starters - Webster, Allen Nickel - Will P or Deloach Reserves - Round 3 pick, Walker

I think that this would be a very solid team. Our offense would be so dangerous, probably top 3 in the NFL. On defense we would get lots of sacks and our linebackers would be great. I think with lots of pressure on the QB and solid LB play, Allen and Webster could definitely hold their own in the secondary. This team would contend for an NFC championship and make a superbowl run. Thoughts?

Nice first post. My only complaints would be entering the season with Butler as the undisputed starter at FS, not adding at least two CBs (in case Peterson cannot return), and taking an ILB like Hodge instead of an OLB. Otherwise, great stuff and welcome aboard!

I like your post, but I think the needs in your proposed Rounds 2 and 3, far overshadow the need for a wide receiver. That would be my 3rd priority. BTW, welcome, and don't forget to ignore the FAG 4.

Here's why I disagree. Just because we didnt have a #3 WR last year doesnt mean we don't need one. Anybody we draft at LB or CB will be a bench player, providing depth for the starters. I would much rather use our 1st round pick someone who can star from day 1 and someone that will help the team for years to come. When Amani chooses to end his great career, we will have Jackson right here to step in and replace him.

I challenge someone to name a combination of a round 1 and 2 pick that will upgrade the team more this season than a combination of Jackson and Round 2 LB.

Here's why I disagree. Just because we didnt have a #3 WR last year doesnt mean we don't need one. Anybody we draft at LB or CB will be a bench player, providing depth for the starters. I would much rather use our 1st round pick someone who can star from day 1 and someone that will help the team for years to come. When Amani chooses to end his great career, we will have Jackson right here to step in and replace him.

I challenge someone to name a combination of a round 1 and 2 pick that will upgrade the team more this season than a combination of Jackson and Round 2 LB.

Usually, LB can start from day one. (Usually) I just hate to use a Number 1 darft pick for someone who at best would be 3rd in the dept charts. (Remember, he still has to earn the number 3 spot)

I think we have less of a need for a 3rd WR because of Shockey and Tiki, but you are right in that the Giants should start looking for Toomer's eventual replacement, presumably someone whose skills translate well to the flanker position. Ideally, the Giants draft a WR with great agility and RAC skills who would temporarily operate out of the slot (and see a ton of favorable match-ups because of surrounding talent) and eventually replace Toomer. I'm not sure if Jackson is that guy or not...

Based on projected availability, I would take D'Qwell Jackson and Sinorice Moss ahead of your model. A talented DB and LB combo could also arguably improve the team more in the short-term, especially when you considering any rookie WR will have a tough time getting onto the field ... and even when he is on the field, be anything great than the 5th option.

Whoa. I'm sorry but who does chad jackson have to fight for the #3 spot over? Willie ponder, tyree or taylor? He's a lock for a spot on the field. One reason that our offense was so predictable at the end of the year was because we didn't have a third wide receiver that the coaches felt confident in. We couldn't put 3 WR's out there to spread the field. Defenses were able to crowd the box and focus on Plax and then we were in trouble.

Id like to see the giants run something other than the 2 tight end sets all year. You need a good third receiver to do this. Im telling you, this is the difference between the Giants having a good offense or an elite offense.

One thing I think people tend to do is think back to the injured Giants team to assess our team needs. While it's difficult, please focus on the healthy Giants defense... one that was actually quite good but just needed some depth. The depth can be addressed through FA and draft picks 2-6.

I think come draft day Chad Jackson might very well become a top option. He has by far the best hands in the draft and if he does run a 4.3 forty he would be a great pick at 25. Im not high on 40 times but I already know this guy can play.

I think come draft day Chad Jackson might very well become a top option. He has by far the best hands in the draft and if he does run a 4.3 forty he would be a great pick at 25. Im not high on 40 times but I already know this guy can play.

If we draft Jackson, I guarantee he would put up better numbers than Amani this year... even if he is a third wide receiver. Hes also great in the red zone.

Holy crap! Think how good our red zone offense could be!!! 3 tall receivers who can jump up and grab the ball. Shockey, tiki and jacobs!!!! No defense in the NFL could stop that. Period. I know D is important but our defense if pretty good when healthy, especially if we give it some depth. We could outscore any team and the team that scores the most points wins the game.

If we draft Jackson, I guarantee he would put up better numbers than Amani this year... even if he is a third wide receiver. Hes also great in the red zone.

Holy crap! Think how good our red zone offense could be!!! 3 tall receivers who can jump up and grab the ball. Shockey, tiki and jacobs!!!! No defense in the NFL could stop that. Period. I know D is important but our defense if pretty good when healthy, especially if we give it some depth. We could outscore any team and the team that scores the most points wins the game.

Although Jackson can contribute this season, selecting him would be more of a future move. He would be the replacement for Amani Toomer at Flanker.

Whoa. I'm sorry but who does chad jackson have to fight for the #3 spot over? Willie ponder, tyree or taylor? He's a lock for a spot on the field. One reason that our offense was so predictable at the end of the year was because we didn't have a third wide receiver that the coaches felt confident in. We couldn't put 3 WR's out there to spread the field. Defenses were able to crowd the box and focus on Plax and then we were in trouble.

Id like to see the giants run something other than the 2 tight end sets all year. You need a good third receiver to do this. Im telling you, this is the difference between the Giants having a good offense or an elite offense.

One thing I think people tend to do is think back to the injured Giants team to assess our team needs. While it's difficult, please focus on the healthy Giants defense... one that was actually quite good but just needed some depth. The depth can be addressed through FA and draft picks 2-6.

You're assuming the Giants add no WRs in free agency, which may be a faulty assumption. Also, Jackson is going to be rookie ... it is perfectly coneivable that early on he won't be better than Tyree and/or Taylor. He's a non-commodity until he proves otherwise, so don't assume he'd step in be the 3rd WR from the get-go. I think he owuld win the #3 spot, but that is not something you can fully expect.

Our offense was predictable? Aside from the playoff game, the Giants offense was consistently one of the highest scoring in the league. And our struggles against Carolina weren't at all related to having no 3rd WR. Any team with Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey to go with Burress and Toomer does not need a talented 3rd WR to be successful (that player would be, at best, the 5th offensive option). A durable, productive 3rd WR could be very useful, however, such a player is not a major need. We can have another excellent offseason year without one, especially when you consider that Eli's play should improve, as should his chemistry with the receivers.

The Giants offense ranked 3rd in scoring last year. Is that good or elite?

Welcome aboard and nice work with good insights.

While I see the reasoning behind a lot of your selections I firmly believe that adding defensive playmakers will take this team to the next level moreso than anything we might add on offense. I also beleive that finding a guy who can replace Luke Petigout as early as 2007 is more important than finding Amani Toomer's replacement. While I think we've seen everything Tim Carter can give us I still don't think the Jamar Taylor experiment should be considered done and buried. I don't think it's a reach at this point to say that by the beginning of 2007 Jamar Taylor could play Amani Toomer's spot. However that will require him to stay healthy and gain some good experience this season.

I'd also caution you not to think of this years draft as a vehicle for supplying us with instant starters for the upcoming season, It rarely works that well and if we have to depend on that we're running a big risk.

I also tend to think you might be a bit too optimistic in our defense as it stands now. While I realize we lost some starters due to injury, your proposed defense for 2006 is not terribly different personell than what we had this past year. I don't see it being superior enough that we'd make a deep playoff run. Can we win the division? Yes. Can we win a playoff game? Maybe. But the current defense isn't nearly talented or deep enough to be a consistent dominant force and I firmly believe that that's how you win championships.

Welcome aboard and nice work with good insights.

While I see the reasoning behind a lot of your selections I firmly believe that adding defensive playmakers will take this team to the next level moreso than anything we might add on offense. I also beleive that finding a guy who can replace Luke Petigout as early as 2007 is more important than finding Amani Toomer's replacement. While I think we've seen everything Tim Carter can give us I still don't think the Jamar Taylor experiment should be considered done and buried. I don't think it's a reach at this point to say that by the beginning of 2007 Jamar Taylor could play Amani Toomer's spot. However that will require him to stay healthy and gain some good experience this season.

I'd also caution you not to think of this years draft as a vehicle for supplying us with instant starters for the upcoming season, It rarely works that well and if we have to depend on that we're running a big risk.

I also tend to think you might be a bit too optimistic in our defense as it stands now. While I realize we lost some starters due to injury, your proposed defense for 2006 is not terribly different personell than what we had this past year. I don't see it being superior enough that we'd make a deep playoff run. Can we win the division? Yes. Can we win a playoff game? Maybe. But the current defense isn't nearly talented or deep enough to be a consistent dominant force and I firmly believe that that's how you win championships.

I think if the Giants don't focus on defense first, they will come up on the short end of a ot of 42-35 games. You cannot count on the offense to score every time they get the ball, especially with Hufnagle as the OC. A good defense will take some of the pressure off of the offense to score on every series.

Am I the only one who deosn't have a problem with Hufnagel?

No, I'm with you there. Obviously, he's had some confusing play calling but no OC is perfect 17 games a year.

Nice first post, welcome. I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks that we should draft a WR with our first round pick, a guy who can be a decent third WR for Eli and then can grow as Eli only gets better and better. So I agree with you there.

It all depends on how we play call in the red zone and of course, if Eli does get better. Burress despite his size didn't really come up big often in the red zone this season. I only remember on a few occasions where he made some red zone TD catches. Chargers, Broncos, Rams (I think that was borderline red zone). That's actually another reason I want to draft a WR with our first rounder.

How about if i put it this way...

We can do either A or B:

a. Use our big draft picks (1-4) on defensive players. 2 linebackers, a corner and a safety seem to be the general consensus. The only one of those 4 that I could see cracking the starting lineup would be a first round linebacker. They might be able to start over Green or Torbor, but by no means is guaratneed to be a huge upgrade. We then use the rest of the picks to add good depth to our other defensive positions.

b. We use our first pick on a WR (chad jackson) and the rest of the picks on defensive backups. I think he can really add an important element to our offense that was missing last year. It gets overlooked because we have an MVP running back who was capable of carrying the team at times. Many college DB's when asked who the best player they ever went up against said, "Chad Jackson." The other picks are still used to add depth on the bench just like in option A, but they each get bumped down a round.

I think option B makes us a better team. Have people forgotten that there we need a slot receiver? As of now, I don't think we can address this need through FA because we need that money to sign a veteran corner back.

Yes, Chad Jackson would be a fifth option. I know it's not the most important position on the field, but we've got those locked up. Im looking at our holes. The good offensive teams have that third wide receiver that can make a few big plays a game. We are missing that, big time. EA even said so.