SportsWrath

Offseason plan

parlintm

Fair enough, although I think Dallas's need for a WR is overstated. Their 3rd WR, Patrick Crayton, is very good ... he had an ankle injury last year that undermined his season. I could see KC going WR in Round 1, but I have to think they'll continue to address their defense (Tamba Hali?). SD is another team that may be serious about getting a WR in Round 1.

I'd like to see how Jackson does in other drills, as well as his performance in interviews before making a determination on his draft projection. At this point, it is safe to say that he won't be anything worse than the 2nd WR drafted.

Parcells was qouted last year as saying Crayton has the best hands on the team. Although I like Crayton as a potential number two they still lack a young potential number one, as well as someone who can help stretch the field this year. They want to take some pressure off of Drew and this is another way besides improving the oline. Also with Keyshawn and Terry up in age and Keyshawn being is in his last year of his contract, they should be looking to get younger on the offensive side of the ball especially at WR.

I did get two see him in the wide reciever "gallant". He did catch most, if not all, of the passes but struggled keeping in line. He was one of the better recievers performing that drill. Others that did good were, Avant, Haas, and Green. There were a few others but those were the most noteables.

If Moss doesn't fall to the second round, what do you guys project as the best WR that would fall to the #56 slot in the second round?

Like Money said Stovall would probally be one of our best options at that position. Personally im not to high on him. One reason being he has had only one good season in college, and that was under Charlie Weis. He's got great height though, could you imagine him and Plax. Martin Nance could be another if we like the height, he's also 6'4".

With that said, I wouldnt go with a reciever in the 2nd. I dont think there is good enough talent that are deserving of that pick. Im high on guys like Skyler Green, Jonathan Orr, and now Brandon Marshall, which are 4th or 5th round guys.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Skyler Green in the fourth-fifth rounds. I remember seeing him at LSU, blazing speed and can be a returner for the future too.

But if all we are going to do is draft guys like Green, then we definitely should sign someone else in FA.

Like Money said Stovall would probally be one of our best options at that position. Personally im not to high on him. One reason being he has had only one good season in college, and that was under Charlie Weis. He's got great height though, could you imagine him and Plax. Martin Nance could be another if we like the height, he's also 6'4".

With that said, I wouldnt go with a reciever in the 2nd. I dont think there is good enough talent that are deserving of that pick. Im high on guys like Skyler Green, Jonathan Orr, and now Brandon Marshall, which are 4th or 5th round guys.

I agree, if we aren't getting a top WR for this class (Jackson, Holmes, Moss in no order) we should look to gamble on a 2nd day guy, I don't really see a lot of seperation between guys like Nance and Green, both seem to be developmental prospects.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Skyler Green in the fourth-fifth rounds. I remember seeing him at LSU, blazing speed and can be a returner for the future too.

But if all we are going to do is draft guys like Green, then we definitely should sign someone else in FA.

I dont think so. We dont need to carry 6 WRs on roster. Most likely Ponder wont be back. If we have Plax, Toomer, Taylor, Green, and Tyree, I wouldnt be upset at all. I could be happy with that. We went through this entire season with out having or using our 3rd WR as a legitiment threat. Would I be happy if Toomer went down or Plax went down to injury... Hell no. But we wont be able to find a stud WR in FA for a reasonable price or the draft at a reasonable pick that could make an impact as those two can.

Im not saying we wont go with 6 WRs, Im just saying we dont have too. Ponder wasnt used at all last season as a recieving option, neither was Taylor. So thats saying we played with 4 Wide Outs all year long. Thats including Tyree's 5 catches and Carters 10.

I dont think so. We dont need to carry 6 WRs on roster. Most likely Ponder wont be back. If we have Plax, Toomer, Taylor, Green, and Tyree, I wouldnt be upset at all. I could be happy with that. We went through this entire season with out having or using our 3rd WR as a legitiment threat. Would I be happy if Toomer went down or Plax went down to injury... Hell no. But we wont be able to find a stud WR in FA for a reasonable price or the draft at a reasonable pick that could make an impact as those two can.

Im not saying we wont go with 6 WRs, Im just saying we dont have too. Ponder wasnt used at all last season as a recieving option, neither was Taylor. So thats saying we played with 4 Wide Outs all year long. Thats including Tyree's 5 catches and Carters 10.

With Burress' problem of "not showing up" to every game and that injuries can occur at every time, I think six WRs would be needed if we want to make a serious run. If Burress runs a quick slant and gets nailed in the shoulder over the middle by Brian Dawkins, just like that, our #2 WR is Jamaar Taylor. I don't want that in the back of my mind throughout the seasons. It's not the question of that we don't need them when we are healthy, but it's the question of when these main guys aren't healthy.

With Burress' problem of "not showing up" to every game and that injuries can occur at every time, I think six WRs would be needed if we want to make a serious run. If Burress runs a quick slant and gets nailed in the shoulder over the middle by Brian Dawkins, just like that, our #2 WR is Jamaar Taylor. I don't want that in the back of my mind throughout the seasons. It's not the question of that we don't need them when we are healthy, but it's the question of when these main guys aren't healthy.

Maybe you should re-read what I orginally posted. Slower this time.

Maybe you should re-read what I orginally posted. Slower this time.

My bad, long night.

We don't need a stud WR though. I'll take a decent speed, nice handed WR and put him at the #3 for a decent price. Not every team has to have great depth at every position but we need to do the best we can to prevent disaster.

Man I like Stovall a lot, watched his combine and he has good hands and vertical. His 40 time is average at best, but his size and athelticism is good. Would have no problem with Stovall.

The Giants could really use a guy who can go up and get the ball. Despite their height, Plax and Amani cannot do that. Stovall has a lot of talent, and while I think a faster, quicker WR would be a better comment to our current group, I would not be disappointed with Stovall either.

The Giants could really use a guy who can go up and get the ball. Despite their height, Plax and Amani cannot do that. Stovall has a lot of talent, and while I think a faster, quicker WR would be a better comment to our current group, I would not be disappointed with Stovall either.

Plax can, think the problem is Plax sometimes does not want to.

Plax can, think the problem is Plax sometimes does not want to.

I put it as an estimate of 5 times a year Plax does not want to.

Seeing of what you guys are saying about Stovall, he looks like a guy who could be a fine fit in our offense. Our worst weakness on offense this season arguably was getting TDs in the red zone. Considering all of Stovall's attributes, he can help us in that area.

I would really like a sure handed veteran to be our 3rd wr. I would love if Ricky Proehl was 10 years younger or a guy like Wayne Chrebet. A guy you know on 3rd and 7 will line up, run a quality route, get open, make a catch, fall down, first down and keep a drive alive. I know we have that somewhat in Shockey, but that can be neutralized with him being a TE especially if he lines up along the lines. I would so love a veteran 3rd WR. if Washington cut David Patten he would be a perfect guy.

Stovall is a guy I like though.

I would really like a sure handed veteran to be our 3rd wr. I would love if Ricky Proehl was 10 years younger or a guy like Wayne Chrebet. A guy you know on 3rd and 7 will line up, run a quality route, get open, make a catch, fall down, first down and keep a drive alive. I know we have that somewhat in Shockey, but that can be neutralized with him being a TE especially if he lines up along the lines. I would so love a veteran 3rd WR. if Washington cut David Patten he would be a perfect guy.

Stovall is a guy I like though.

Looking at the list of FA WRs, your description of that guy we should be looking for appears to be not available. The two best guys would be Jurevicious, who probably will not come back here, and Troy Brown. So we may very well be forced to find that guy by draft.

link of FA WRs

Looking at the list of FA WRs, your description of that guy we should be looking for appears to be not available. The two best guys would be Jurevicious, who probably will not come back here, and Troy Brown. So we may very well be forced to find that guy by draft.

link of FA WRs

Jabar Gaffney is the answer, guys.

link of FA WRs

There may be some vets cut and I think Jurevicous will get big coin to be a #1 or #2 WR, possibly in Washington(that is if there is a CBA) or Philly.

Jabar Gaffney is the answer, guys.

You think? You trust him as that veteran that will make big catches and do what this offense needs on 3rd down. I see a smart, heady veteran as someone who would excel as our 3rd WR considering the attention a defense must pay to Plax, Shockey, Tiki and Toomer. You think Gaffney fits the bill?

If we get desperate, we may have to transform Toomer into that guy.

I think you will see Eli Manning rely on Amani Toomer even more next year. If he watches as much film as he says he will see Amani is open a lot and teams rolled there zone coverage towards Plax and Shockey all too often.

You think? You trust him as that veteran that will make big catches and do what this offense needs on 3rd down. I see a smart, heady veteran as someone who would excel as our 3rd WR considering the attention a defense must pay to Plax, Shockey, Tiki and Toomer. You think Gaffney fits the bill?

Gaffney would be good for 35-50 catches a year. He's durable, has reliable hands, and made a lot of big catches on 3rd down, even in a putrid Texans offense. Quality possession WR. I don't know enough about him to make a determination on how smart he is, but from everything I've seen, he could be useful in that role.

I think he's very similar to Keenan McCardell, who Coughlin coached into a Pro Bowler years ago.

I think you will see Eli Manning rely on Amani Toomer even more next year. If he watches as much film as he says he will see Amani is open a lot and teams rolled there zone coverage towards Plax and Shockey all too often.

And when you think about it, Toomer not Plax has made catches that have changed around games. If Toomer didn't make the catch against the Rams that made the lead 17-7, I think despite them having the ball on the one, we would have lost some momentum considering it took us what, 3 plays to get that yard?

Obviously against the Broncos, it was Toomer that came back for Eli and made the clutch catch to win the game.

Against the Eagles for the first time, it was Toomer that tapped both his feet down on fourth and one to get that much hated yard. If we didn't score that, the momentum was with the Eagles considering we started with first and goal on the one.

Against the Seahawks, that TD pass basically defied football laws of catching. That was just unbelievable. That basically setup Shockey's game tying 2 point conversion which should have set up at least one game winning kick.

Didn't watch the Skins game but Toomer wasn't the one getting frustrated of Eli's play. He made that amazing TD catch for Eli's first TD of the game (I saw that one) and later got called back from a TD pass from Eli for what I've heard, bullshit holding call on Snee.

Speaking of that second TD being called back, what was that play like?

Edited by gateb

Gaffney would be good for 35-50 catches a year. He's durable, has reliable hands, and made a lot of big catches on 3rd down, even in a putrid Texans offense. Quality possession WR. I don't know enough about him to make a determination on how smart he is, but from everything I've seen, he could be useful in that role.

I think he's very similar to Keenan McCardell, who Coughlin coached into a Pro Bowler years ago.

Well if he could come half as close to what McCardell did with the jags as a third down WR here with the Giants I would be thrilled. We really need a good possesion type option at the #3. I have always had a soft spot for David Patten, so if he were a cap casulty I would like to sign him for that role. Plus his familarity with Hufnagel in NE could work as well.

Well if he could come half as close to what McCardell did with the jags as a third down WR here with the Giants I would be thrilled. We really need a good possesion type option at the #3. I have always had a soft spot for David Patten, so if he were a cap casulty I would like to sign him for that role. Plus his familarity with Hufnagel in NE could work as well.

Seeing the cap issues in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Patten wound up being cut and I would love to have him with the G-men this season. I don't think the Skins are going to hold on to Patten assuming there is going to be no salary cap next season so there is no point of letting him go.

But then again, Snyder has proved us wrong before.