SportsWrath

Eli for OC?

6 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Just FMI - has there even a history of QBs becoming OCs? (I know that Byron Leftwitch farted around for a while) - but any other instances?

Kellen Moore

Frank Reich

Doug Pederson

Mike Kafka

Close your eyes and point at an OC... he was probably a QB at some point. 

I watched most of the skill stuff for the pro-bowl was actually pretty fun.    The passing game was really cool, although I did not really care for the format at the end where it was shot for shot as opposed to doing the whole course, it kind of took away from the drama once Stroud missed a target.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Kellen Moore

Frank Reich

Doug Pederson

Mike Kafka

True, but typically they are career backups or journeyman......not HOFers like Eli should be one day.

I am trying to think of an elite guy that was a HC or OC....Only ones I can come up with is Bart Starr at Green Bay in the early 70s and Norm Van Brocklin...who coached in early and mid 60s with expansion teams (Vikes and Falcons)....and they both sucked at coaching.

C. Wagon

35 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

True, but typically they are career backups or journeyman......not HOFers like Eli should be one day.

I am trying to think of an elite guy that was a HC or OC....Only ones I can come up with is Bart Starr at Green Bay in the early 70s and Norm Van Brocklin...who coached in early and mid 60s with expansion teams (Vikes and Falcons)....and they both sucked at coaching.

C. Wagon

I could not seeing a player like Eli wanting at job as an OC.   Right now he is out there living the best life...  rich as fuck with doing a bunch of fun jobs around things in football he wants to be involved with.    An offensive coaching staff member, let alone the coordinator is about endless hours of work and constantly being on the edge of being fired.    They do not get much of an offseason and salary wise...  Eli probably makes more in one MNF broadcast than Kafka makes in a year.

I bet if Eli wanted to do the job he would be amazing at it, I just could not imagine him wanting to do it.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

C. Wagon

36 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I could not seeing a player like Eli wanting at job as an OC.   Right now he is out there living the best life...  rich as fuck with doing a bunch of fun jobs around things in football he wants to be involved with.    An offensive coaching staff member, let alone the coordinator is about endless hours of work and constantly being on the edge of being fired.    They do not get much of an offseason and salary wise...  Eli probably makes more in one MNF broadcast than Kafka makes in a year.

I bet if Eli wanted to do the job he would be amazing at it, I just could not imagine him wanting to do it.

I think the thing too is that being a coach is really hard work;  16+ hour days, lots of travel/time away from family, working with other stressed out assholes, etc.  Most successful QBs have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank;  they have no reason to subject themselves to that type of punishing lifestyle. EDIT:  yeah, pretty much completely what G said. 

Probably why a lot of backups/ham-and-eggers end up on the sidelines and the successful guys end up as media personalities; the backups are only worth a few mil and can't coast for the rest of their lives. 

14 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

64 points in the pro bowl games defeating his brother Peyton. 

Do it Schoen!

It's been established on this board for a while now that the Giants GMs don't listen to anything we say unless you first call them "IMGRATE."   No way we sign Eli as an OC now. 

29 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

It's been established on this board for a while now that the Giants GMs don't listen to anything we say unless you first call them "IMGRATE."   No way we sign Eli as an OC now. 

That's very true. 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:01 AM, Sephiroth said:

Kellen Moore

Frank Reich

Doug Pederson

Mike Kafka

This...either the NFL and/or college.  It is in their DNA.  Most DC's were LB's or defensive backs again in the NFL and/or college.  It is in their DNA.  Line backers make for good DC's as they are facing the line the QB and see the WR/TE/RB develop their routes during plays.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:12 AM, GorillaNJ said:

It is like how I was during the 10 years before my strokes.  I already put in my ticket... did all of the work to get to the top... now it is time for me to relax and do the things I want to do.  I was not working hard during the last 10 years of my work life and you are right, the same holds true for Eli.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:47 AM, Sephiroth said:

I think the thing too is that being a coach is really hard work;  16+ hour days, lots of travel/time away from family, working with other stressed out assholes, etc.  Most successful QBs have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank;  they have no reason to subject themselves to that type of punishing lifestyle. EDIT:  yeah, pretty much completely what G said. 

Probably why a lot of backups/ham-and-eggers end up on the sidelines and the successful guys end up as media personalities; the backups are only worth a few mil and can't coast for the rest of their lives. 

This... with diamonds in the sky...