SportsWrath

Thursday is going be fun.

BlueInCanada

9 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I think making a play for him is smart for multiple reasons.  If healthy, a generational talent who competes.  Will immediately improve the roster.  Will immediately improve Jones in short and long term.

Only drawback is health.  If passes a physical and accepts some level of injury protection (for Giants financially) in his contract...I think it's a no-brainer.

Not to mention driving up the cost the Cowboys will have to pay should he eventually sign there.

The Giants took a chance on Everson Walls and  Plaxico Burress pre shooting were both hurt before coming to the Giants

Both were instrumental throughout the 1990 and 2008 seasons

I would take OBJ for what is Left in the tank

He immediately improves what is there and helps out Jones

13 hours ago, K3VIN said:

Drafting some one 

What pick in the draft do we have and who would you pick at that spot?

Until you know that answer, you have to go with Jones…. This team has many problems and the QB isn’t top 5 imho.

13 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

The Giants took a chance on Everson Walls and  Plaxico Burress pre shooting were both hurt before coming to the Giants

Both were instrumental throughout the 1990 and 2008 seasons

I would take OBJ for what is Left in the tank

He immediately improves what is there and helps out Jones

I’m on board with OBJ.   I just won’t be overly upset if the Giants don’t get him… if we don’t get him, I sure would like to at least drive up the price for the Cowboys (same approach if Parsons becomes a free agent in a couple of years).

4 hours ago, Nas said:

I’m on board with OBJ.   I just won’t be overly upset if the Giants don’t get him… if we don’t get him, I sure would like to at least drive up the price for the Cowboys (same approach if Parsons becomes a free agent in a couple of years).

This

Sometimes you take a chance on a generational talent and win out

OBJ wants a big market Like LA or NY

The easy big money from Dallas/Fort Worth can't make up for that Longterm

We shall see

If we Lose out and make the Broke Backs pay that is fine by me bro

9 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

This

Sometimes you take a chance on a generational talent and win out

OBJ wants a big market Like LA or NY

The easy big money from Dallas/Fort Worth can't make up for that Longterm

We shall see

If we Lose out and make the Broke Backs pay that is fine by me bro

Besides there’s no guarantee he’s as dominant after 2 surgeries…. 

Last i checked...we would pick in the 20s is season ended now...out of range if the top ranked QBs.  Even if we were to lose out and end 7-10...we still might lose out on the top 3 or 4 guys without trading up.

As much of a game manager as Jones has been, I don't know how we don't roll with him in '23.

1 minute ago, gmenroc said:

Last i checked...we would pick in the 20s is season ended now...out of range if the top ranked QBs.  Even if we were to lose out and end 7-10...we still might lose out on the top 3 or 4 guys without trading up.

As much of a game manager as Jones has been, I don't know how we don't roll with him in '23.

My point exactly.  Although I think he’s more than a game manager.  He’s more mobile and more accurate than Eli was at the same point in his career and Eli had players around him.   DJ has Barkley and no one else.   

11 hours ago, Nas said:

My point exactly.  Although I think he’s more than a game manager.  He’s more mobile and more accurate than Eli was at the same point in his career and Eli had players around him.   DJ has Barkley and no one else.   

Until he improves the guys around him and wins a game with his arm, he is a game manager to me...but still likely the best option in 2023...unless we extend him amd make him part of a trade, which I just don't see happening.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:35 AM, gmenroc said:

Until he improves the guys around him and wins a game with his arm, he is a game manager to me...but still likely the best option in 2023...unless we extend him amd make him part of a trade, which I just don't see happening.

Who can he improve??? David Sills?? Richie James?? Nonames?? Those guys wont even be on the practice squad of most rosters - and they are starting for the Giants. Theres only so much one can do with this roster. Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers have worse records than DJ. Even Brady was pedestrian when his WRs went down. DJ has played all season without ANY NFL calibre WR on the team. 

Sure, not saying he cant play better - but he has NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING to work with. Even Bellinger went down even the security blanket was gone. The OL has been playing like shit - still he has kept the TOs in check. And none of those QBs next year seem like they could walk in and be better than Jones. I think we sign him to a mid-level 25mill a year type contract and try and get him some help. 3 different offenses and OCs and coaches in 4 years is NOT something a young QB should go through. 

6 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Who can he improve??? David Sills?? Richie James?? Nonames?? Those guys wont even be on the practice squad of most rosters - and they are starting for the Giants. Theres only so much one can do with this roster. Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers have worse records than DJ. Even Brady was pedestrian when his WRs went down. DJ has played all season without ANY NFL calibre WR on the team. 

Sure, not saying he cant play better - but he has NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING to work with. Even Bellinger went down even the security blanket was gone. The OL has been playing like shit - still he has kept the TOs in check. And none of those QBs next year seem like they could walk in and be better than Jones. I think we sign him to a mid-level 25mill a year type contract and try and get him some help. 3 different offenses and OCs and coaches in 4 years is NOT something a young QB should go through. 

Exactly.   To some, it seems to be a case of "grass is greener on the other side".    Dak fucking Prescot was chucking the ball into a 10 foot wide circle and his WRs would just go and grab it... DJ can throw it between the numbers and still gets dropped.    All is not lost... we have a capable QB (He's our best option anyway).   We have a RB and the OL needs another piece.   Get us some WRs, MLB, and an OL and we're cooking.    

And Jones does tend to take the conservative play. That’s the big thing, everyone will have a miss throw every now and again, but the thing that elevates other players is giving them a chance to make a play. 

It’s all too common that he pulls it down, he runs for seven on third and eight, and we all think dang, nobody was open. Well… sometimes someone was open enough. Think about Slayton coming down with that deep throw to the goal line. Those sorts of attempts are way too rare and they’re almost always there. 

24 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

And Jones does tend to take the conservative play. That’s the big thing, everyone will have a miss throw every now and again, but the thing that elevates other players is giving them a chance to make a play. 

It’s all too common that he pulls it down, he runs for seven on third and eight, and we all think dang, nobody was open. Well… sometimes someone was open enough. Think about Slayton coming down with that deep throw to the goal line. Those sorts of attempts are way too rare and they’re almost always there. 

This

You have to go down with audacity not meekness

You will never get the 4th Down unless you go for broke every now and then

So, you get broken, you still Learn for the future

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Idk.   I’ll take the current approach with only 4 turnovers and a 7-4 record (with no real WRs) over the alternative.

12 hours ago, Nas said:

Idk.   I’ll take the current approach with only 4 turnovers and a 7-4 record (with no real WRs) over the alternative.

failure to get a first down is almost as bad as a turnover. Failure to even seriously attempt to get a first down is arguably worse. 

The nice thing about Eli was, he would create turnovers.... but usually, those came on a daring play well down field. Some turnovers are fine. I'm not going to give Jones shit if he's taking his shots and some scrub Evan Engrams him or a defensive player makes a better play than our guy. I will give him shit if he's taking no more than one or two shots a game. And then on top of that, failing to make a decent throw on critical gimmes. 

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

failure to get a first down is almost as bad as a turnover. Failure to even seriously attempt to get a first down is arguably worse. 

The nice thing about Eli was, he would create turnovers.... but usually, those came on a daring play well down field. Some turnovers are fine. I'm not going to give Jones shit if he's taking his shots and some scrub Evan Engrams him or a defensive player makes a better play than our guy. I will give him shit if he's taking no more than one or two shots a game. And then on top of that, failing to make a decent throw on critical gimmes. 

Shades of Danny Kanell and Kent Graham for me

Game managers all

Where is the next Tittle, Tarkenton, Simms, Hostetler, Collins, and/or Eli

18 hours ago, Nas said:

I don’t think it’s true that the current approach is what the current staff actually wants. There’s some speculation that attack mode QB was coached out Jones in the Judge years. 

there are deep shots built into almost every play in this offense. This isn’t the Garrett everyone-run-a-hook-at-the-sticks joke of an offense. Daboll worked with Allen, Kafka with Mahomes. That’s what they’re looking for.

30 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I don’t think it’s true that the current approach is what the current staff actually wants. There’s some speculation that attack mode QB was coached out Jones in the Judge years. 

there are deep shots built into almost every play in this offense. This isn’t the Garrett everyone-run-a-hook-at-the-sticks joke of an offense. Daboll worked with Allen, Kafka with Mahomes. That’s what they’re looking for.

Fine... it's their first year with a guy who has no one to throw to.