SportsWrath

Whelp boys.

BlueInCanada

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I would advise the Giants, and any franchise for that matter, don't draft a RB high and don't pay a free agent RB big money IF you do not already have a capable team in place. You can easily build a good team without having a top flight RB. Look at the Rams (3rd rounder in Henderson), Cardinals (4th rounder in Edmonds and Conner), Bills (two 3rd rounders in Moss and Singletary), Ravens, (who are excelling with a bunch of backups at this point), Packers (5th rounder in Jones), Chargers (undrafted Ekeler).

Everyone wants a Derrick Henry, Zeke, or Nick Chubb, and yes they make life a lot easier on offense, but I'm just saying you don't build your offense around these guys. If you have the rest of the pieces in place, I have no problem going out and grabbing a RB in rounds 1-2 but again you need to build a capable team first.

Unfortunately the Giants over the past 30 years since Rodney Hampton keep drafting high RB's.  Most have been busts or have gotten injured.  You are right unless you are a team that needs that next level fuck it.  RB's get slaughtered at every snap.

7 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Unfortunately the Giants over the past 30 years since Rodney Hampton keep drafting high RB's.  Most have been busts or have gotten injured.  You are right unless you are a team that needs that next level fuck it.  RB's get slaughtered at every snap.

Yep, plus look at our high water mark winning years 2007 - 2011: We won championships with a 4th and 7th round RBs in Jacobs and Bradshaw, and the Team opposing us (even though they lost, still a great team) had guys like Lawrence Maroney, Sammy Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Steven Ridley, Woodhead, etc. Yes, Maroney was a 1st rounder, but he was an otherwise just average RB, which is the point I'm trying to make; you can win with just average RBs....or at least layer in a good RB after you've built a team.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Yep, plus look at our high water mark winning years 2007 - 2011: We won championships with a 4th and 7th round RBs in Jacobs and Bradshaw, and the Team opposing us (even though they lost, still a great team) had guys like Lawrence Maroney, Sammy Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Steven Ridley, Woodhead, etc. Yes, Maroney was a 1st rounder, but he was an otherwise just average RB, which is the point I'm trying to make; you can win with just average RBs....or at least layer in a good RB after you've built a team.

This... going back to the 70's.... I remember all of us football fans talking about the size of the Steelers offensive line.  No one who understood the game were talking about their running, half or fullbacks.  We were all talking about the size of the center's arms... who I believe his last name was Webster.  He was a 300 pound monster back then when being 300 lbs. was something else.  You need a line and insert the short lived three year back as needed.  Anything less and those backs are going to get fucked up sooner rather than later.  Plus you will have a losing record and/or not go far into the playoffs. 

I would rather win it all with a good OL and a mostly unknown back.  I think they the Giants would prefer that as well.  Too many in the front office and ownership are enamored with the big back Heisman Trophy winners from college.  Remember that is four years running... with half of your games against high school level defenses really where you can cut back and/or leave your blockers while ripping off yards as the underclassmen and boosters cheer you on.  It way way way more different in the pros.  Those guys will put you into the locker room and then the hospital.  ;)

20 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

This... going back to the 70's.... I remember all of us football fans talking about the size of the Steelers offensive line.  No one who understood the game were talking about their running, half or fullbacks.  We were all talking about the size of the center's arms... who I believe his last name was Webster.  He was a 300 pound monster back then when being 300 lbs. was something else.  You need a line and insert the short lived three year back as needed.  Anything less and those backs are going to get fucked up sooner rather than later.  Plus you will have a losing record and/or not go far into the playoffs. 

I would rather win it all with a good OL and a mostly unknown back.  I think they the Giants would prefer that as well.  Too many in the front office and ownership are enamored with the big back Heisman Trophy winners from college.  Remember that is four years running... with half of your games against high school level defenses really where you can cut back and/or leave your blockers while ripping off yards as the underclassmen and boosters cheer you on.  It way way way more different in the pros.  Those guys will put you into the locker room and then the hospital.  ;)

Yep. 

Also, when you have a line like that, vision is a lot more important than measurables.  Remember Andre Williams? Big, strong, fast... had "everything you'd want" in a power back. 

First thing I said about that guy coming out was "his vision sucks, he'll never be anything in the league."  He was pretty good his first year when he had holes you could drive a truck through, but even then I saw him missing the holes quite a bit and knew he wasn't going to get a second contract. 

6 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Yep. 

Also, when you have a line like that, vision is a lot more important than measurables.  Remember Andre Williams? Big, strong, fast... had "everything you'd want" in a power back. 

First thing I said about that guy coming out was "his vision sucks, he'll never be anything in the league."  He was pretty good his first year when he had holes you could drive a truck through, but even then I saw him missing the holes quite a bit and knew he wasn't going to get a second contract. 

For sure Bro... vision is everything.  Too many times I see or saw Giants running back eschewing four or five yard gains for the homerun twenty yards or more.  The line busted their asses for that five yard gain... not the three yard loss or no gain.  They kept a TE in to open a hole... WTF.  You are right about Andre Williams.  You can do that shit in college consistently.  No in pro ball.  These guys study your consistencies too well for that kind of shit.  Football is their business and business is good, kind of thing.  This is not fun so a booster can make a million off your ass for ye olde college.  :laugh: