SportsWrath

Whelp boys.

BlueInCanada

14 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Next year Barkley, Shep, and Engram will all be healthy, right?

Those 3 have proven to be too injury-prone unfortunately... and while I try not hold injuries against players, being injury prone has to be factored in.   

Out of fairness, you have to give these coaches a chance... you don't want to be the team that changes coaches every year and a half... that's how you become the laughing stock of the league... we're not there yet... but doing what some people are suggesting here would expedite that... 

Seriously who here expected the Giants to be above .500?    

25 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

who expected this team to be much worse instead of showing any improvement?

there's a lot of daylight between 'much 'worse' and 'showing improvement'

I expected to see improvement. But this team isn't 'much worse' than last year by any stretch. Its just close to the same damn shit. 

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

there's a lot of daylight between 'much 'worse' and 'showing improvement'

I expected to see improvement. But this team isn't 'much worse' than last year by any stretch. Its just close to the same damn shit. 

lol you’re right.  Judge stated 0-5 last season.    This season he’s 1-4.   

Lol.  

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Those 3 have proven to be too injury-prone unfortunately... and while I try not hold injuries against players, being injury prone has to be factored in.   

Out of fairness, you have to give these coaches a chance... you don't want to be the team that changes coaches every year and a half... that's how you become the laughing stock of the league... we're not there yet... but doing what some people are suggesting here would expedite that... 

Seriously who here expected the Giants to be above .500?    

Most of us (the fanbase) thought we'd finish above .500. We've spent more in free agency than any other team. We've had six first round picks these past four years. We had a bright young coach with a "tough but fair" message that seemed to resonate with the players.

After playing 3 of the worst teams in the league in the past 5 weeks, there's no reason we SHOULDN'T be .500. 

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Most of us (the fanbase) thought we'd finish above .500. We've spent more in free agency than any other team. We've had six first round picks these past four years. We had a bright young coach with a "tough but fair" message that seemed to resonate with the players.

After playing 3 of the worst teams in the league in the past 5 weeks, there's no reason we SHOULDN'T be .500. 

Those new signings while great can take a bit of time to gel so to speak... It's very hard to argue and find positives when the team is 1 and 4 but here I am lol.    Honestly our draft should get us more stud OLs... that should be our #1 focus just like Dallas did when they sucked balls forever.

11 hours ago, mastershake said:

- Slayton has 1 more year on his rookie contract. Let me play it out, but at this point consider him a 3rd or 4th WR at best.

- Rudolph, Bradberry, Solder need to be cut in 2022. Bradberry is not worth a $20.5M cap hit when he's playing at a level of a 3rd or 4th CB.

- Shepherd has to go as well. I love him too but we he's far too injury prone and is unreliable, and not worth the massive cap hits he has coming up ($12.5M next year).

- Blake Martinez I'm currently on the fence on. His cap hit is $14M. Might be okay keeping him, but even next is the last year on his contract, so we also need LBs.

- This guy is a lesser concern but why is Sam Beal even on this roster this year? Ditch this guy.

- Barkley. Did we already pick up his 5th yr option for $7.3M for 2022? I'd prefer we move on from him (the 1 yr deal I don't prefer but I wouldn't mind it.... but definitely do not re-sign him to a big contract).

Problem is they need to rebuild at most positions up and down the roster, and it will take at least another 2 years.

10 hours ago, Joe Guyden said:

May was the deadline and we did pick up Barkley’s option. 

Without Rudolph jumpinG on that fumble we would be 0-5.  But he’s a jag otherwise. 

Bradberry seems uncuttable with his dead cap.  

Cutting Shep next season also would give double the dead cap than cap space.    

We better hit on draft picks because there isn’t a lot else we can do this off-season. 

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Bradberry is almost untouchable with his contract restructures I think he's contract is fully guaranteed at this point. 

Williams might be a good move since his contract goes down next year. 

Honestly we may be stuck with this roster for a year before the new GM can really do much.

Unless he can somehow find teams stupid enough to take on horrible contracts for 7th round picks lol 

We need to do a Broke Back option with our version of Aikman, Irvin and Smith for next year with a real coach.  Gut the  coaches and the front office.  Maybe... MAYBE keep the OL coach.  Beyond that send them all packing to College Division II ball.  Gettleman retire and get new front office blood.  Preferably someone who has done it before.

11 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

We need to do a Broke Back option with our version of Aikman, Irvin and Smith for next year with a real coach.  Gut the  coaches and the front office.  Maybe... MAYBE keep the OL coach.  Beyond that send them all packing to College Division II ball.  Gettleman retire and get new front office blood.  Preferably someone who has done it before.

I would advise the Giants, and any franchise for that matter, don't draft a RB high and don't pay a free agent RB big money IF you do not already have a capable team in place. You can easily build a good team without having a top flight RB. Look at the Rams (3rd rounder in Henderson), Cardinals (4th rounder in Edmonds and Conner), Bills (two 3rd rounders in Moss and Singletary), Ravens, (who are excelling with a bunch of backups at this point), Packers (5th rounder in Jones), Chargers (undrafted Ekeler).

Everyone wants a Derrick Henry, Zeke, or Nick Chubb, and yes they make life a lot easier on offense, but I'm just saying you don't build your offense around these guys. If you have the rest of the pieces in place, I have no problem going out and grabbing a RB in rounds 1-2 but again you need to build a capable team first.

43 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I would advise the Giants, and any franchise for that matter, don't draft a RB high and don't pay a free agent RB big money IF you do not already have a capable team in place. You can easily build a good team without having a top flight RB. Look at the Rams (3rd rounder in Henderson), Cardinals (4th rounder in Edmonds and Conner), Bills (two 3rd rounders in Moss and Singletary), Ravens, (who are excelling with a bunch of backups at this point), Packers (5th rounder in Jones), Chargers (undrafted Ekeler).

Everyone wants a Derrick Henry, Zeke, or Nick Chubb, and yes they make life a lot easier on offense, but I'm just saying you don't build your offense around these guys. If you have the rest of the pieces in place, I have no problem going out and grabbing a RB in rounds 1-2 but again you need to build a capable team first.

Yep.  Between high supply and short shelf life running backs are the last piece of the puzzle.  It’s been common knowledge for at least a decade but of course our front office was the last to learn it 

47 minutes ago, mastershake said:

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

Yep.  Between high supply and short shelf life running backs are the last piece of the puzzle.  It’s been common knowledge for at least a decade but of course our front office was the last to learn it 

Yep.   Barkley is a great talent but without the infrastructure already in place (i.e. Offensive Line), it's just a waste of a pick... I don't think any of us was in love with the pick and that has nothing to do with Barkley's talent at all. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

I mean I understand the Barkley pick at he time. 

The Giants were convinced that year was the year they would make a playoff push (in part to DG and his famous "you can win and rebuild" bull), we just signed the best LT out there in Solder(in a weak FA class) drafted a sure fire guard in Herny, and a new HC who made Case Keenum a star in Minny.

The problem was the core of the team was rotten and fell apart as the season went on, which I don't think anyone really called for (I'd like to see the posts from 2018 back then lol) most thought the Giants would be improved, much like this year. 

As you said there's nothing wrong with drafting a high RB like the Cowboys did with Zeke who had a probowl Oline, but highlight is 20/20 and all those moves DG made in 2018 turned out to be busts and is one of the factors leading to where we are now.

But also like Pdoub said most of us thought the Barkley pick was good, because like Mara we were all morons thinking that DG was building something good instead of a big old shit sandwich.

9 minutes ago, Herc said:

Been team Quentin Nelson on the record here since way before the draft.  Didn’t want any of the qbs which was why I didn’t scream when we took Barkley.  

Yeah I think Nelson and Barkley were my two picks. 

I was just happy because we got Barkley then Herny who by all reports was a solid guard pick. 

10 minutes ago, Herc said:

Been team Quentin Nelson on the record here since way before the draft.  Didn’t want any of the qbs which was why I didn’t scream when we took Barkley.  

I was Nelson/Chubb first, but admittedly Barkley/Hernandez second.  

We had needed interior line help and a RB to take the pressure off Eli for 2-3 years before the draft, but Reese thought we were a one-dimensional TE away from a Super Bowl. 

I definitely wasn't thrilled, but figured it was better than what we had gotten over the past 5 seasons. 

Yeah Hernandez made it easier to swallow.  The rationale being there was a chance that star rb + 2nd best guard was better than best guard + whoever we would’ve taken in the 2nd round.  I was prob just trying to be optimistic though 

24 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I mean I understand the Barkley pick at he time. 

The Giants were convinced that year was the year they would make a playoff push (in part to DG and his famous "you can win and rebuild" bull), we just signed the best LT out there in Solder(in a weak FA class) drafted a sure fire guard in Herny, and a new HC who made Case Keenum a star in Minny.

The problem was the core of the team was rotten and fell apart as the season went on, which I don't think anyone really called for (I'd like to see the posts from 2018 back then lol) most thought the Giants would be improved, much like this year. 

As you said there's nothing wrong with drafting a high RB like the Cowboys did with Zeke who had a probowl Oline, but highlight is 20/20 and all those moves DG made in 2018 turned out to be busts and is one of the factors leading to where we are now.

But also like Pdoub said most of us thought the Barkley pick was good, because like Mara we were all morons thinking that DG was building something good instead of a big old shit sandwich.

I get the original logic of it. The problem it's been a disaster since then, and Barkley is unfortunately injury prone to make matters worse.

Somehow we have a better record without Barkley than with him.

That 2018 draft class in general is looking like total busts, except for BJ Hill who we traded away. Will Hernandez is an OKAY guard so far into the season, but not a consistent/reliable starter.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

I get the original logic of it. The problem it's been a disaster since then, and Barkley is unfortunately injury prone to make matters worse.

Somehow we have a better record without Barkley than with him.

Yeah it's just the gamble teams take. 

If Barkley had been healthy every year and continued his OROY play and Herny kept progressing under Shurmur, Solder was what was advertised (although I think I hated the move initially since NE cast offs never seem to work out) we would be laughing right now.  

But the dice came up snake eyes, Shurmur was a dud of a HC, Barkley hasn't replicated his rookie year, Solder was a bust, Herny who only this year under Sale is playing at a above average level. 

Fun times to be a Giants fan thats for sure. 

It's why DG needs to move on and anyone associated with him. 

We've just been spinning our wheels trying to fix all the mistakes and misses these last four years. 

We need a blank slate a new direction and new leader.

We still have the stink of 2018 on this roster and it's doing nothing but dragging this team down.