SportsWrath

We just gave a BJ to Cincinnati for a center

gmenroc

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Not a big positional value guy I take it?

I wouldn't have been mad if Nelson were the pick either. I was in on Barkley 1, Nelson 1a. Not in love with any of those QBs or Chubb. 

I am which is why I valued a top interior lineman over a top rb.  If you’re referring to WAR, it’s almost twice as valuable a position as rb

7 minutes ago, Herc said:

I am which is why I valued a top interior lineman over a top rb.  If you’re referring to WAR, it’s almost twice as valuable a position as rb

I believe it, but I'm not sure that holds true when the RB also has superior receiving skills. Running backs are a dime a dozen, but RBs who can also split out wide and not embarrass themselves, not so much. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Hmm, so Saquon can obviously play very well, Hernandez has at least played more than the average second round pick. Are you going with, no second contract = bust?

3 out or the 6 are off the team. The remaining, Barkley, Carter, and Hernandez have been underwhelming so far and essentially are in make it or break it years. If they underperform, they're busts.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Me either, and I agree a three down back is insanely more valuable than a guy who can only run, but to me it’s one of the last pieces and we were missing a shit load at the time.  I’m optimistic about the line this season and I’m a big fan of the coach, the qb and the defense, so maybe it all came together anyway and we can actually use this guy to score points, but when you have to rebuild the second worst team in football and you come in here talking about hog mollies it’s a head scratcher to have one sitting in your lap on a rookie contract and you take a rb instead.

22 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yeah imagine wanting a few reliable starters out of the draft from four years ago. Crazy right?

six or seven if I have my way!

but if a fourth round pick never becomes a reliable starter, that isn't a bust.... that's just a fourth round pick doing typical fourth round pick things. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

six or seven if I have my way!

but if a fourth round pick never becomes a reliable starter, that isn't a bust.... that's just a fourth round pick doing typical fourth round pick things. 

Fair enough. Was reading an article awhile back pointing out the likelihood of 4th round or later picks becoming starters, and if I recall it was something like less than 10%, and was miniscule for rounds 6-7. Granted, it also pointed out that teams tend to give higher draft picks more chances and are more likely to hang on to them longer than late draft picks, but still. Everyone wants to land a Tom Brady, Dave Deihl, or Ahmad Bradshaw, but those instances are the exception.

Still a gm should hit on picks in rounds 1-3. I'd say you need to produce at least 2 reliable starters per draft, plus one or two additional contributors.

18 hours ago, mastershake said:

In hindsight, that would have been sweet.

I made a thread last year about who would be on our team if I had been GM, based on picks I had wanted in those spots when we drafted.  

There are some guys on our team that we wouldn't currently have (Jones, Leonard Williams, Dex Lawrence) and of course, we may have had to change drafting strategies (probably would have picked a QB last season) but overall just with those players, I think our roster would be a lot stronger.   

I think a lot of those picks are no-brainers and these GMs and front offices just outsmart themselves.