SportsWrath

Stafford traded to the Rams.

BlueInCanada

Two firsts, a third, and Goff headed to Detroit.

Stafford going to LA.

Stafford to me has always been a top 10 QB in the NFL, just on an awful Lions team, next to Eli probably one of the toughest QBs to ever play in the NFL the last 10 years.

Detroit loading up with MOTOR CITY DAN! now running the ship.

LA going for the SB run next year.

That's a lot for the Rams to give up for a 33 year old QB who hasn't done anything in the post season. Granted, as you said, he's Eli-tough and has had shit around him (except for Megatron), but the Rams are contenders and Stafford hasn't contended for anything. Seems to me Goff got hurt at the worst possible time and the Rams have hit the panic button. OR, the rumors about the McVay/Goff romance ending were true. Either way Detroit made out like a bandit. A 2021 third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023 will put talent around Goff if Detroit does the right thing with them. The Rams must be happy to run with what they've got for the next few years. 

Winner: Detroit.

2 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

That's a lot for the Rams to give up for a 33 year old QB who hasn't done anything in the post season. Granted, as you said, he's Eli-tough and has had shit around him (except for Megatron), but the Rams are contenders and Stafford hasn't contended for anything. Seems to me Goff got hurt at the worst possible time and the Rams have hit the panic button. OR, the rumors about the McVay/Goff romance ending were true. Either way Detroit made out like a bandit. A 2021 third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023 will put talent around Goff if Detroit does the right thing with them. The Rams must be happy to run with what they've got for the next few years. 

Winner: Detroit.

It depends, Detroit is a garbage team for a reason their entire franchise history.

Micheal Lombardi does a podcast with Pat McAfee and he said something that stuck with me, when he was a scout in San Fran with Walsh, and a GM with the Pats and the start of the dynasty, all of them had the same ideology; "You're only competing against maybe 8 teams in the NFL, the others are too poorly run to ever worry about"

I'll see if I can find the clip on youtube but it was fascinating to think that due to ownership reasons some teams are just bound for mediocrity.

Anyways.

In five years we'll know who won the trade, my best guess, the Rams never win a SB although Stafford finally shines even more on a better team, the Lions are still the Lions in five years.

Stafford finally gets to be on a decent team and away from a dumpster fire franchise.

Detroit gets a chance to draft some kneecap biting players.

43 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

it was fascinating to think that due to ownership reasons some teams are just bound for mediocrity.

And that's just where the Rams could be headed. Being contenders the last few years (with a SB appearance to boot), you have to wonder why they would give away the future for Stafford. Yeah, they'll probably be more towards the bottom of the draft anyway so it's more like they gave away 2 seconds, but still, it's 1st round talent they're passing up on. Of course, Stafford could go there and win a couple of SB's and everyone will be shocked. Who knows, it's why they play the games, right?

Rams gave a lot for to make this trade and I think they'll come out on top because of it.  Someone tell Lions fans they are now beyond any doubt worse off than the Cleveland Browns.  Goff came with a contract that is going to tie them up while Stafford frees up space for the Rams.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Lions is the Lions.

They are probably still in mediocrity in five years.

Keep in mind too they now have to deal with Goffs contract.

He's got no cap hit in 2023, probably the same year they'll be deciding if they want to keep him or not. It's a steal for the Lions.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Jesus Christ what a game lol 

He definitely made me change his mind about him. 

Brady came down and scored, and it was all, "well he's Tom Brady the greatest of all time postseason master who comes back from deficits like you and I brush our teeth and---"

Matt Stafford:  NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKER THIS IS MY ONE FUCKING CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly felt really good for him.