SportsWrath

Rift Between Burress and Manning

donovan4prez

Link

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Eli Manning says he has a good relationship with Plaxico Burress. His No. 1 receiver wasn't talking about it on Wednesday, turning down pleas from the Giants' public relations staff to talk to the media on the opening day of minicamp.

Burress hasn't said anything since the Giants were beaten 23-0 by the Carolina Panthers in the opening round of the playoffs.

Held without a catch, Burress waved his hands in frustration several times during the game when he felt he was open and Manning didn't get him the ball. The receiver, who was signed as a free agent last year, didn't report to the stadium the following day for a season-ending team meeting.

Burress also did not participate in voluntary workouts in the offseason, opting to train in Florida with tight end Jeremy Shockey.

""You don't have to be best friends with everybody," Manning said after a morning workout Wednesday. "As long as everybody is on the same page and has the same goal of working hard and getting better and winning games, then I think that is fine. We're lockermates. We see each other daily. We have a good relationship." quote]

Manning said he has spoken with Burress a few times in recent weeks, addressing nothing specific. He downplayed Burress' onfield antics in the playoff game.

"He was upset. We didn't have a good game," said Manning, who was 10-for-18 for 113 yards and four interceptions against the Panthers. "Everybody on this team is competitive and wants to win and do well. A lot of people were frustrated and that's how he expressed it."

Coach Tom Coughlin said he spoke with Burress about missing the team meeting after the season ended. Coughlin would not comment on what was said.

During the morning workout on Wednesday, Manning found Burress with a pass on a slant route, and he hooked up with Shockey on a couple of plays.

Shockey showed up for the minicamp sporting a black eye. He blamed it on a training accident in Florida last week.

He also said he thought there was plenty of leadership on the team.

"The older people, like Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan, when those guys talk, those are the guys I listen to, the guys who have been here eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 years," he said. "Those are the leaders on this team."

Center Shaun O'Hara felt too much was being made of Burress.

"We have a lot of things going on," O'Hara said. "No way on the first day of minicamp are we worried about team chemistry."

He also downplayed the absence of Burress and Shockey from the voluntary workouts, saying no one wants to work out with somebody who doesn't want to be there.

O'Hara said the players were more interested in Shockey's black eye.

"I think we were all wondering whether coach gave it to him," O'Hara said.

that quote sounds awfully familiar :ph34r:

Yeah but unlike Dmac Eli isnt a big cry baby who will bitch to the owners / coach every time there is a problem :TU:

yeah, you're right....whenever elisha has a problem, he bitches to his daddy who in turn cries to the owners/coach

image_628521.jpg

that makes him MUCH more of a man :clap:

Yeah, I'm sure that what it was... :rolleyes:

you're right....he actually hurt himself BEFORE training camp

L I N K A G E

After missing the final seven games of last season, Donovan McNabb said he's recovered from the sports hernia that sidelined the five-time Pro Bowler.

McNabb took the podium at the NovaCare Complex on Tuesday after practice, his only press conference during the Eagles' final organized team activity.

After enduring a season of injuries and controversy, McNabb has turned the page. That was his message in the team's post-draft mini-camps and it was apparent on Tuesday, when the questions focused on football.

He discussed his recovery from the sports hernia, his confidence in the Eagles' young receivers and his decision to return to Arizona, his off-season home, before training camp.

But entering a season where his health is the topic of conversation for football fans wondering whether the Eagles will return to NFC supremacy after a down year, McNabb assured the media that his health is not an issue.

"I've felt I'm getting stronger and improving my flexibility," McNabb said. "I would like to say I'm at 100 percent, but you never know until you put the pads on in a scrimmage situation or a game situation this whole off-season."

McNabb was fighting injuries throughout much of the season before finally succumbing to the biggest of them all, a sports hernia, after a Week 9 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. While McNabb admitted he entered last season's training camp with a "tweak" in the area, he insists there is no reason why a player suffers a sports hernia.
He dismissed the idea that it's the result of overworking the core. Rather, it's one of those luck-of-the-draw injuries that can't be controlled.

"When it comes to a sports hernia, it seems like we just heard about it once I got it," McNabb said. "It's really not an explanation, to say you get it from overworking or overexert yourself or pay too much attention to core training. A lot of guys do that but they don't get hurt. It's not going to stop me."

Quite the contrary, actually. McNabb said he's going to work harder, if that's possible. He said he always looks for ways to change his training, and this off-season, the focus is on becoming more cut rather than adding bulk. He even joked that he wants to prepare for pool parties over the summer so he can show off his body.

It was typical McNabb, displaying his sense of humor even when being pressed about an injury from seven months ago. But he has an unflappable confidence, and that's evident when talking about everything from his rehab to his receivers.

McNabb is aware the Eagles' receiving corps is sometimes maligned, and he said the group uses it as motivation. McNabb feels confident about the progress Reggie Brown made last season when he was forced into a starting role as a rookie, and views the experience as a tool that could catapult the second-year pro.

He also singled out Todd Pinkston, who's worked hard to rehab from a season-ending Achilles injury suffered during training camp. McNabb knows the group doesn't have the star name that intrigues fans and the media, but feels the group can be productive nonetheless.

"I've never been in a situation where I would sit and talk about my receivers," McNabb said. "I have the full confidence in my receivers. People have talked bad about my receivers ever since (Terrell Owens) showed up and they've continued to do it now that he's gone. And we've used to that as a motivation to go into every game, every practice, to make ourselves better. We have some guys who've made big plays for us and we have some guys who are going to make big plays for us, and I'm looking forward to letting them do that."

McNabb spends his off-seasons working out in Arizona and often has receivers and running backs visit to work with him. While he said it's too early to tell who will come to Arizona following the OTAs because of prior commitments, McNabb views it as a place where he's comfortable training and will help prepare him for training camp and the season.

It's all part of a McNabb who's looking ahead and not behind. It's a quarterback who's firmly established as a leader in a locker room that is focused on playing winning football.

"It goes back to us being veterans," McNabb said. "We have to get us back to that whole situation of winning again."

where did we digress.....oh yeah, so what's the over/under of how long this relationship lasts between elisha and plax???

lol sounds like you're jealous you guys still don't have TO. :TD::LMAO:

yah, it sucks that Plaxico is a selfish WR who doesn't deem it necessary to train with his quarterback. but what are you going to do? o'hara is right, it'd be even more of a distraction if he was there and acting like a baby instead of in florida.

All I know is McNabb will have more excuses this year when he see's # 92, 72, and 55 comming at his ass full speed... I think we'll see more than an injured McNabb, how bout an injured Brunnel and Bledsoe?? I don't wish injury on anyone, but I don't think that's an option with those 3 teams o-lines not being able to cover all 3 at once... Oh and I also heard that Pierce guy can hit too ;)

I'm not too scared of any NFC East team right now, and our playoff loss is behind us... this is the year we show teams why the NY Giants are the Beasts of the East...

Everytime a Giant fan would use injuries as an exuse in 02 03 04 an Eagle fan would spit on them like they were made of exuses. As soon as Sir Chunky Soup has a shitty year injuries are a valid point again.

Talk about contradictions :confused:

ELI has played one full season, won an NFC east title in his FULL SEASON and lost a playoff game(something TO's bitch knows all about).

Let's worry about the Eagles lack of a solid consistent running game, their WR corps and McNabbs propensity to choke under pressure as seen COUNTLESS times and let ELI actually play more than 1 year before we compare the two!

Burress isn't in the same category as T.O. We all know that. He can be a self-absorbed bitch, but he's not a cancer.

You eagle fucks wish you scored zero in the playoffs last year.

Can you say SWEPT, by everyone in the EAST.

Ouch. That fuckin hurts. No wonder you're over here stirring up much ado about nothing.

McNabb/TO, Eli/Plax no comparison way different Plax isn't makin an ass out of Eli in front of everyone on live TV and then try to put up a front like everything is cool. Plax has explained his frustrations and Eli has said his peace too. I dont think there is any beef there. Just another Eagle Fan tryin to find somethin negative on a team thats lookin real good.

Everytime a Giant fan would use injuries as an exuse in 02 03 04 an Eagle fan would spit on them like they were made of exuses. As soon as Sir Chunky Soup has a shitty year injuries are a valid point again.

Talk about contradictions :confused:

ELI has played one full season, won an NFC east title in his FULL SEASON and lost a playoff game(something TO's bitch knows all about).

Let's worry about the Eagles lack of a solid consistent running game, their WR corps and McNabbs propensity to choke under pressure as seen COUNTLESS times and let ELI actually play more than 1 year before we compare the two!

:worshippy: :clap: