SportsWrath

A stunning stat on how bad the Giants are in the draft.

Sephiroth

Jim. I didn't start the 2007 vs 2015 comparison, I'm just sticking to the original argument.

I also compare Toomer to Cruz, not Randle. Beckham + Cruz + Randle >> Burress + Toomer + ??? (Hixon?)

I was actually going to make the same comparison, but since Cruz and Beckham have only seen the field together a handful of times I didn't think it was a valid one.

Jim. I didn't start the 2007 vs 2015 comparison, I'm just sticking to the original argument.

I also compare Toomer to Cruz, not Randle. Beckham + Cruz + Randle >> Burress + Toomer + ??? (Hixon?)

My "over-thought analysis" is merely an exercise in objectivity. Something foreign to these boards, I know.

I don't see how u can say that Beckham, Cruz and Randle are better than Burress, Toomer, and anyone when the first option is merely a hypothetical. We haven't even seen that combination and probably never will.

I don't see how u can say that Beckham, Cruz and Randle are better than Burress, Toomer, and anyone when the first option is merely a hypothetical. We haven't even seen that combination and probably never will.

That's a production argument, not a talent argument. I didn't make the rules, Jimbo.

That's a production argument, not a talent argument. I didn't make the rules, Jimbo.

Honesty Tree, I'm not sure I understand the difference between talent and production. Was Mike Mamula a more talented pick than Chad Bratzke? Mamula was a physical marvel that never amounted to jack and Bratzke was the consummate overachiever with limited athleticism.

We can talk semantics all you like, but I think the point of the thread is that most fans would rather have the 2007 roster than the 2015 one.

Well the whole debate started because Tree and Seph were comparing the production between 2007 Shockey and 2014 Donnell/2015 Tye. I brought up 2007 Toomer vs 2015 Randle because Randle's stats are better but in no way would I take him over Toomer. Hell... I'd probably take 2015 Toomer over Randle at this point.

Honesty Tree, I'm not sure I understand the difference between talent and production. Was Mike Mamula a more talented pick than Chad Bratzke? Mamula was a physical marvel that never amounted to jack and Bratzke was the consummate overachiever with limited athleticism.

We can talk semantics all you like, but I think the point of the thread is that most fans would rather have the 2007 roster than the 2015 one.

Imagine the 2007 roster, with 2015 Eli.

Only reason 2015 wasnt a complete joke was because Manning could get the ball to Beckham

Tree thinks potential talent is a factor. I see what he's saying, but potential means zilch until it is realized. And yes, I'd take Burress, Toomer, and Hixon back in a heartbeat over what we have now. Because what we have now is Beckham, a maybe (Cruz), and jags.

Tree thinks potential talent is a factor. I see what he's saying, but potential means zilch until it is realized. And yes, I'd take Burress, Toomer, and Hixon back in a heartbeat over what we have now. Because what we have now is Beckham, a maybe (Cruz), and jags.

It's not A factor, it's THE factor under contention, unless you guys hold Reese responsible for a) injuries, b) player development and c) playcalling too?

The constant here is you guys keep bitching that Reese has screwed up the team because he hasn't delivered sufficient TALENT for Coughlin to work with, yet you all seem incapable of recognising that TALENT is not equivilent to PRODUCTION, it's merely one component of it.

Seriously, I hate having to play Devil's Advocate on this all the time, I'm not really a fan of Reese either, but the debate here is centred entirely too much on subjective analysis skewed to fit a pre-determined hypothesis and it hurts my scientist's brain.

It's not A factor, it's THE factor under contention, unless you guys hold Reese responsible for a) injuries, b) player development and c) playcalling too?

The constant here is you guys keep bitching that Reese has screwed up the team because he hasn't delivered sufficient TALENT for Coughlin to work with, yet you all seem incapable of recognising that TALENT is not equivilent to PRODUCTION, it's merely one component of it.

Seriously, I hate having to play Devil's Advocate on this all the time, I'm not really a fan of Reese either, but the debate here is centred entirely too much on subjective analysis skewed to fit a pre-determined hypothesis and it hurts my scientist's brain.

Stop thinking so hard and accept you can't have an objective conversation with everyone.

Okay, then work through this excercise:

Take Beckham, Cruz, Randle, Harris as one group, and Burris, Toomer, Hixon and (look it up) as the other. The version of the player as they are in their career either in 2015 or 2007, respectively.

Remove all injuries. Give them the same environment (QB, OLine, competition).

Which group performs best?

Okay, then work through this excercise:

Take Beckham, Cruz, Randle, Harris as one group, and Burris, Toomer, Hixon and (look it up) as the other. The version of the player as they are in their career either in 2015 or 2007, respectively.

Remove all injuries. Give them the same environment (QB, OLine, competition).

Which group performs best?

Sure, since we get to remove injuries we can add Steve Smith to the group. We also had Tyree then. And Jeremy Shockey was really the third receiver for most of 2007 until he got hurt, and then we had Kevin Boss. I have no issues whatsoever in saying the older group was much better and deeper. Yes, Beckham would be the best player out of them all. But Burress at his best was still plenty good enough to be a top-end #1 receiver.

And no, Tree... POTENTIAL can only be used in the argument if the potential is derailed by injury. It should work against Reese when injuries weren't really a factor. So we can't excoriate Reese over what happened to Cruz but Randle is not a good NFL receiver and he really can't use injuries as an excuse there.

BTW, I thought the Giants got a steal with Rueben Randle and was a big fan of the pick. However, I do not have access to all the information that Reese has and I also do not get paid to build the football team (although I should :P).

And no, Tree... POTENTIAL can only be used in the argument if the potential is derailed by injury. It should work against Reese when injuries weren't really a factor. So we can't excoriate Reese over what happened to Cruz but Randle is not a good NFL receiver and he really can't use injuries as an excuse there.

BTW, I thought the Giants got a steal with Rueben Randle and was a big fan of the pick. However, I do not have access to all the information that Reese has and I also do not get paid to build the football team (although I should :P).

Who's making that argument?

I don't think Randle is nearly as bad as people make out, though. He's not great, but he's got the skills to be a solid #2 (see my previous comments on player development).