SportsWrath

Beckham vs Moss

Allstarjim

Was going to write a longer article on this, but just compare Beckham's rookie year against the gold standard season of NFL rookie receivers... Randy Moss' 1998 season.

Yards:

Moss - 1313 yards (16 games, 11 starts) / Beckham - 1120 yards (11 games, 11 starts; to be continued)

Yards/game:

Moss - 77.2 / Beckham - 101.8

Yards/Rec:

Moss - 19.0 / Beckham - 14.2

Touchdowns:

Moss - 17* NFL rookie record / Beckham - 11

TDs/Game:

Moss - 1.06 / Beckham - 1.0

Receptions:

Moss - 69 / Beckham - 79

Percentage of Total Offense (my favorite):

Moss - 20.4% / Beckham - 20.8%

100 yard games:

Moss - 4 (also had one for 99 yards) / Beckham - 6

Just to add some context, and depending on your perspective it could be looked as a positive or negative when comparing Moss to Beckham, but that Vikings team had a lot more offensive talent that the current Giants. They had Cris Carter (over 1000 yards and 12 TDs), Robert Smith at tailback - nearly 1200 yards rushing. And Jake Reed for 11 games, a talented receiver who began that '98 season coming off of four 1,000 yard seasons in a row.

The Vikings got good QB play from Randall Cunningham that year, with a few cameos from Brad Johnson, combining for nearly 4500 yards passing and 41 TD passes. By comparison, Eli has 3981 yards thus far with 29 TD passes.

These numbers should provide a little perspective on Beckham's performance, and we'll see how he tops it all off tomorrow, but truly, this season has to be considered right up there among the very best rookie seasons in NFL history.

Good comparison. And Moss had mostly Randall Cunningham, at the end of his career, throwing pop flies that Moss would run under.

I think receiving style wise, they're not very similar. Moss had those long strides and Beckum runs precise routes with ankle breaking cuts. But, comparing rookie seasons, it's close.

the only argument that can be made against this comparison is the rule changes but yes absolutely one of the great rookie wr seasons ever--especially when you consider that wr is typically a spot where guys break out their 2nd year and not their first. i think moss should be remembered as the 2nd best wr of all time and i don't think it's crazy at all to talk about beckham in the same sentence as him

Absolutely... two totally different receivers. And this isn't really to compare the players on how they get the job done, but comparing the results. I think Beckham's performance this season is at least on par with Moss' '98 season. What blows me away is that he has done most of his damage since the bye week. It really has been a pleasure watching him this year.

Beckham has a totally different skill set. It was possible to take Moss out of the game as we all saw a few times. But Beckham? Man he can do it all. He is a threat to run it, catch it and pass it.

Oh and good point here. The way Beckham plays, you have to dedicate at least two players to stopping him, and you can't do that all game or Eli is just going to kill you elsewhere.

I haven't seen a team shut down Beckham and I doubt anyone will or even can. Way he totally bitched Richard "I'm the best corner in the game today" Sherman was spectacular. Looking back on it now, that ball that Beckham tried to tip to himself Eli was given a fuck ton of a crap for it.

Now?

I say fuck it, every time the ball is near this kid I think he's gonna catch it.

Moss was a tall WR with greyhound speed, it wasn't really seen before a guy with his size being able to outrun the fastest of corner backs in the game, as well as just having the clear height advantage. He was able to out run anyone on the field on deep passes and if a defender was stride for stride with him, he would simply out jump them to the ball or be able to use his height to get the defender out of position for the ball.

Beckham doesnt have that size but he makes up for it with his freak athletic ability and the fact that his hands sweat stickum. He's able to not only contort his body to catch a pass but his ability to anticipate the jump on the ball to get the highest point before a defender is unreal and not often seen in any WR let alone a rookie. He's not the fastest guy on the field but he's able to reach his top speed in a couple strides and is able to cut and accelerate on a dime. His route running along with being able to outplay defenders gives him the advantage on short and medium routes, and his physical ability and instincts give him an advantage on the deep ball.

Moss was something special, but guys like Calvin Johnson are along the same prototype, tall, fast, a solid set of hands and able to use their height to out jump defenders which makes them a top WR in the league.

Beckham though, I've never seen a WR like Beckham before.