SportsWrath

Giants awarded 5th round comp pick

BleedinBlue

I was hoping we'd get a 4th, but at least we're back to 7 picks overall and 2 5th rounders instead of 1 5th and a 7th is good.

Here's from the Star Ledger (NJ.com/Giants)

The Giants will have Osi Umenyiora and Martellus Bennett to thank for a nice gift come draft day.

The team was awarded a fifth-round compensatory pick after losing the pair -- along with Domenik Hixon and Chase Blackburn -- last offseason. The Giants now have seven picks again: 1 (1), 2 (1), 3 (1), 4 (1), 5 (2), 6 (1). They lost the seventh-round pick in the Jon Beason trade last October.

The compensatory pick is No. 174 overall.

"I'm excited about this fifth-round comp pick we got. That¹s huge," general manager Jerry Reese said in Orlando. "We thought we¹d get a seventh. It¹s a complicated formula. I¹m not sure all the math but we¹re happy about it. That¹s awesome. That is the best thing that happened today in all these long meetings. It was worth the wait. It was worth the wait."

The Giants have some work to do in the draft this year, a job that will be made a little easier with a higher pick than Reese originally expected.

For reference, here's a list of the Giants last five fifth-round picks:

2013: Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond

2010: Mitch Petrus, G, Arkansas

2009: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

2008: Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt

2007: Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon

Here are the last few compensatory players the Giants have received:

2013: Michael Cox (seventh)

2012: Brandon Mosley (fourth)

2011: Tyler Sash, Jacquian Williams (sixth, sixth)

2009: Travis Beckum (third)

2008: Robert Henderson (sixth)

2007: Ahmad Bradshaw (seventh)

2003: Frank Walker, David Tyree, Wayne Lucier and Kevin Walter (sixth, sixth, seventh, seventh).

The list of players make me yawn lol

Heck...half the players we've drafted in the last 4 or 5 years make me yawn. And I'm not talking about comp picks.

We lucked out with a few comp picks: Tyree, Bradshaw, Boss, and I'm still hoping Cooper Taylor finds his way to some on field glory. Tyree, Bradshaw and Boss were so instrumental on the team that they literally handed us a Super Bowl with inspired catching and running.

This should be an interesting draft because we've shored up the defense pretty damn tight. Apart from a DT and DE, we are going to be targeting offensive playmakers. I see a TE, WR, another RB, a couple of offensive linemen coming in this draft. I think it's always more exciting to draft offense.

I'd rather have this 5th (no. 174 overall) than the 7th (no. 227 overall) that we gave up for Beason.

Certainly, this extra 5th doesn't guarantee a great (or even a good) player, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

I'll take the pick...it makes the other 5th rounder we have somewhat tradeable.

I'm really liking what I see from Yankey and I don't foresee him being around when we pick in the 2nd. That said, I don't see C as being worth a 1st round pick. What would it take to move up from 12th in the second round to 1st in the second round?

Lewan or Martin in the 1st with Yankey in the 2nd with a WR in the 3rd...would have me really stoked going into the season.