SportsWrath

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a Giant

BleedinBlue

from KFFL

"Updating a previous report, the New York Giants have signed CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to a five-year deal worth $35 million"

It is also being reported by Fox Sports - same thing, 5-yr deal at 35 million. They are calling it a "steal" at Fox Sports.

So now we have Prince and DRC as bookends with Walter Thurmond patrolling the slot and Hosley, and McBride for depth....not bad!

That 15 million guarantee is 50% better than what the Broncos offered. The Broncos actually low-balled him with a deceiving contract filled with loop holes and exit clauses. Elway is a shifty SOB in negotiations. I'm glad we beat the Jets, who I suspect offered DRC a better deal, but because of their hopeless future, he wanted to be with a winner.

This should give us one hell of a backfield. Corners are set - safeties are set - linebackers are set. I see us targeting either a TE or OT in the first round. Although, it would never surprise me to see the Gints draft a DE with the first.

Idk what to make of this... Is he this good? I recall he sucked (maybe with the Jets?)

He was the best CB available. Was a pro-bowler, then became less effective with the eagles. He turned it around and was good again when with Denver.

From NYPost:

"Rodgers-Cromartie was considered the best cornerback remaining on the market in free agency. Combined with the weekend signings of former Seahawks cornerback Walter Thurmond and Chiefs safety Quentin Demps, he gives the Giants the makings of a formidable secondary this season.

Rodgers-Cromartie, 27, is a former first-round pick of the Cardinals in 2008 who rejuvenated his career with the Broncos last season after two underachieving years in Philadelphia.

Rodgers-Cromartie started 13 games for Denver last season, recording three interceptions and 33 tackles".

from Star Ledger:

"He might just be the best corner left on the market, now that the likes of Vontae Davis, Alterraun Verner, Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, Captain Munnerlyn and Brandon Browner have all signed, as well.

It leaves the Giants with one of the strongest secondaries in the division. Pairing Rodgers-Cromartie, who was rated among the league's best cornerbacks last season, alongside Prince Amukamara gives the team more flexibility on defense. Last year, they were No. 10 against the pass (223.3 yards/game).

Pro Football Focus, a subjective analytical site, said that Rodgers-Cromartie allowed just 44.1 percent of footballs thrown in his area to be caught. Behind Trumaine McBride, it was the lowest mark in football last season. They rated him the No. 5 best cornerback overall, higher than Seattle's Richard Sherman, and credited him with an opposing quarterback rating under 70".

I like the signing. But do we have cap room left for a tight end or OL?

I have to believe we're done making moves when it comes to OL besides the draft of course.

Anyone has the details of what EDS got from the Bucs?

Also, is there a reason Snee is still on the team? He's been lousy too, or injured the rest of the time.

Yeah....he's married to Tom Coughlin's daughter and is the father of Dylan Snee, Cooper Snee, and Walker Snee, Tom Coughlin's three grandsons.

I have to believe that has something to do with it.

Yeah....he's married to Tom Coughlin's daughter and is the father of Dylan Snee, Cooper Snee, and Walker Snee, Tom Coughlin's three grandsons.

I have to believe that has something to do with it.

No. I think his play for a decade and the fact he's been a rock and a class act and took a huge pay cut to boot.