SportsWrath

Chart of the day- Nicks

Lughead

My point is this......Nicks alligator-armed his way through most of the season, and between games, was late for meetings and blew off rehab stints.

Not sure what motivated Nicks to phone in the 2013 season, but he and the offensive line were huge reasons why Eli sucked ass.

A #1 WR missing in action, a 6th string runningback, and an offensive line that was a complete shambles.......those are the main reasons why Eli blew chunks last season.

Eli won his first Super Bowl because David Tyree came up huge......he won his second because Manningham came up huge.

In 2014, someone else (who wants to be here) will step up.

while tyree and manningham each made huge catches they were not nearly as valuable as burress and nicks were in those superbowl runs.

it's true that we would not have won the first superbowl if tyree dropped that ball, but it's also true that we would not have even made the playoffs that year (or won the nfc championship game) without burress. our offense 6 years ago was nothing without him as we unfortunately found out the following year.

this is why we won the superbowl in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsug8aVr4A#t=2m22s

28 catches, 444 yards, 4 TDs. only jerry rice and larry fitzgerald have had better postseasons

manningham's catch came on 1st and 10 with over 3 minutes to go at the beginning of that final drive. it was a magnificent catch, and helped us score the game winning TD, but if he steps out of bounds and it's 2nd and 10 we can still win that game. 3+ minutes is a lot of time for a game winning eli drive. also, after manningham's catch we were at the 50 and still had to get into fg range. nicks got us from the 34 to the 18, and then for good measure he got us to the goal line to set up bradshaw's td run. he had 10 catches that game, 8 for first down, 3 on 3rd down. he was a monster in the atlanta and green bay games and broke both games wide open. and like burress we don't make the playoffs that year without him. nicks is the biggest reason we ended that season as super bowl champs

You don't think it's a big roll of the dice to go to a team with TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne and Coby Fleener.

I think the Colts are thinking insurance in case someone goes down.

I'm not sure how you can compare wide receivers with corners, especially since Revis is pushing the market price. You want to make comparisons, then how about the fact that Steve Smith got 3 years out of Baltimore 2-3 days after getting released.

If he wants to gamble, then why not go to the Giants last season and ask them to extend him a year?. Same gamble isn't it?

in my opinion going to a high volume passing team, with andrew luck as your qb, with other receivers to keep defenses honest on you, with coaches that coached you in college, and playing half your games in a dome is just about the best situation for a one year gamble. maybe putting him in eric decker's spot in denver but that's it. i think it's a much better gamble than playing in that panthers system with a qb that isn't as good as luck and with no other receiving threats other than greg olsen to keep teams from focusing on you(they currently do not have any wide receivers with an NFL catch on their roster).

steve smith's contract is 3 years 11.5 mil with 4.5 mil total guaranteed. you're thrilled to get that contract when you're a washed up 34 year old who averaged 11.6 yards per catch last year and admitted on record that you're not a #1 wr anymore. but you reject that all day when you're a 26 year old who hasn't gotten a big contract yet and still thinks he's a top wr. the colts (and any other team interested in nicks) would love to have him at his 2014 salary for 3 years instead of 1 and i'm sure if nicks' agents said "screw the 1 year deal, we want steve smith's deal" the colts would agree immediately.

i don't understand how nicks, revis and talib's positions are relevant to the point i was trying to make. the idea of the gamble is that you're a player (in any sport, at any position) who thinks you're worth more than your market value on a multi-year basis, so why sign a multi-year deal if you think you can change that value next season?

as far as why nicks didn't ask the giants for a one year extension last offseason he a) probably assumed he'd earn his big contract in his last season here and b) probably didn't think the giants wanted him past 2013 once cruz signed.

also, for what it's worth nicks says he got a multi-year offer and turned it down because the "situation wasn't right" (aka the guaranteed value of the contract). it was probably the panthers who offered it too

Eli played like shit last year...just calling it like I see it.

Eli won before Nicks, he'll win after Nicks.....just calling it like I see it.

The entire offense was shit, it wasn't just one person. When the entire offense is shit there is no one guy that will make it better yet it is still possible to make it worse.

I appreciate everything Nicks did for the Giants, but it was time to move on. When he's healthy he's a beast...he just hasn't shown that the past two seasons. The point of free agency isn't to pay for what players have done, its to pay players for what you think they can still do.

The entire offense was shit, it wasn't just one person. When the entire offense is shit there is no one guy that will make it better yet it is still possible to make it worse.

Correct but I think Nicks was part of the problem.. had he stepped up his game.. or played to his billing, maybe the O wouldn't have been as shitty.

Correct but I think Nicks was part of the problem.. had he stepped up his game.. or played to his billing, maybe the O wouldn't have been as shitty.

Reason why I think the offense still would have been shit is Eli still needs the time to get the ball to Nicks even if Nicks did play better last season. Nicks was part of the problem last year, as well the Qb, Rb's, Te's, Offensive line, etc.

Reason why I think the offense still would have been shit is Eli still needs the time to get the ball to Nicks even if Nicks did play better last season. Nicks was part of the problem last year, as well the Qb, Rb's, Te's, Offensive line, etc.

That's the crazy thing about the game of football.. if one player or one unit improves their level of play (in this case... just play they're supposed to), the entire offense would flourish.

Without the great one, the lions would've sucked a whole lot more.

So with Nicks playing at the top of his game we would have been 8-8?

One player can't carry a team, even if Nicks was playing at Larry Fitrzgerald level of carrying a team, the Giant's were still overall a horrible team this year from top to bottom.

There's another one, someone tell Larry Fitzgerald that if he played harder his team would win more.

So with Nicks playing at the top of his game we would have been 8-8?

One player can't carry a team, even if Nicks was playing at Larry Fitrzgerald level of carrying a team, the Giant's were still overall a horrible team this year from top to bottom.

There's another one, someone tell Larry Fitzgerald that if he played harder his team would win more.

One player can carry the team.....Eli Manning.....he kept that team in the hunt in 2011, without a running game or a defense.

But he can't do shit if he's got guys blowing up his guards, center, and left tackle.

I think Nicks was a great wide receiver.....but last year, when they really needed the guy, he was physically and emotionally absent. Late to meetings, blew off rehab stints, and when he was on the field, was mediocre at best......he basically gave the Giants no other alternative than to move on.

I'm not going to blame Nicks alone for 2013.....but he was clearly a big reason why the offensive struggled. And Nicks isn't on the team in 2014 because of it.