SportsWrath

NY Giants express interest in Titans CB Alterraun Verner and Ravens DE Arthur Jones

Mr. P

The Giants' offense may be what John Mara described as "broken," but on the first day they were allowed to negotiate with free agents, the Giants focused on their defense instead.

An NFL source confirmed, they called to inquire about Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner, who could be one of the more expensive defensive backs on the market. And they also reportedly also expressed an interest in Ravens DE Arthur Jones.

The Giants likely called about many more available free agents than that, but those were the only ones that were immediately known.

And it appears they are serious about Verner, even though his cost could be prohibitively high. Another NFL source said the Giants were interested in placing a competitive bid on free agent cornerback Sam Shields before he re-signed with the Green Bay Packers on Saturday. Shields got a four-year, $39 million contract with more than $12 million guaranteed.

That flew in the face of the impression that several agents said they had been left with from the Giants, that they were looking for bargains in free agency, not top-tier players. Shields and Verner are top-of-the-market corners, and Jones could get a big pay day in free agency, too.

Players can’t officially be signed by other teams until Tuesday at 4 p.m. and visits can’t even be arranged, so it won't be clear just how far the Giants are willing to go until then.

It's also unclear if the Giants can afford either player. They have approximately $17 million in space under the $133 million NFL salary cap, but they also have a lot of holes to fill.

The 25-year-old Verner would fill a big one, though. With Corey Webster unlikely to be re-signed, and Terrell Thomas a free agent, the Giants need a corner to play opposite Prince Amukamara. The 5-10, 187-pound Verner is known for his physical play and had five interceptions last season. Meanwhile, the 6-3, 315-pound Jones was a 3-4 end in Baltimore who could replace free agent Linval Joseph at defensive tackle for the Giants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-express-interest-titans-cb-verner-ravens-de-jones-article-1.1715574

I really hope we can sign Jones. I'm extremely biased since he played at Cuse and grew up here in my area. But I wanted the giants to draft him and he is a good player.

Makes sense that we would inquire about a CB and a DE being we let Webby go and although TT has played his heart out after his 2 ACLs he is not going to be the complementary answer to Prince. Also with Tuck more than likely gone we would only have JPP in as the only viable player if he can get out of his funk. We have at DE Kiwi who is 31 and only getting older and slower, Moore is still a work in progress and that's it.

in fact we better be looking at more CB's and DE's that are on the market

I really hope we can sign Jones. I'm extremely biased since he played at Cuse and grew up here in my area. But I wanted the giants to draft him and he is a good player.

I have the same sentiment. He has played well for Baltimore so I'd be surprised if they let him go. If the Giants were able to sign him, I'd have to believe they have no intentions of keeping Tuck under any deal....except perhaps, a deal like Nicks is offering.

I watched the College Football Senior Bowl and a DE that stood out like a man amongst children was Dee Ford. The guy was everywhere, sacking, pressuring, tackling, and the only DE that gave Zack Martin trouble. A defensive stud with a motor that never quits.

Yet I have not seen a single mock draft that has him going in the first round and only a couple that have him going even in the second round. The guy's a complete stud and it's as if very few journalists in the sports world has seen this. Heck, he had 2 sacks and a pass deflection in about 10 minutes of play in the first half, then he was double teamed and chopped blocked the rest of the game because no one could stop him.

I don't know about run stopping, but as far as pass rushing goes, he's the best in the draft by a large margin.

If we could snag him in the 3rd, it'd be the steal of the draft. But I have to believe more than one team out there is fully aware that he's first round material.

I would like Verner. I mentioned him in a players we would like to see sign thread. He's only 25 and would be a nice compliment to Mook. Heard the Jets,Rams and Vikings are also interested. The corner market has kinda thinned out with players resigning. Vontae Davis would be a nice choice at corner too.

I watched the College Football Senior Bowl and a DE that stood out like a man amongst children was Dee Ford. The guy was everywhere, sacking, pressuring, tackling, and the only DE that gave Zack Martin trouble. A defensive stud with a motor that never quits.

Yet I have not seen a single mock draft that has him going in the first round and only a couple that have him going even in the second round. The guy's a complete stud and it's as if very few journalists in the sports world has seen this. Heck, he had 2 sacks and a pass deflection in about 10 minutes of play in the first half, then he was double teamed and chopped blocked the rest of the game because no one could stop him.

I don't know about run stopping, but as far as pass rushing goes, he's the best in the draft by a large margin.

If we could snag him in the 3rd, it'd be the steal of the draft. But I have to believe more than one team out there is fully aware that he's first round material.

Ford kinda doesn't have a true postion and I don't think his tape is great. I am not high Ford and think he has an early second round rating. 3-4 LEO backer would be his best fit. He's too small to line up a 4-3 DE and has too much trouble dropping into space to play OLB in 4-3.

I think we are set at DT . Patterson is the only one that is a UFA and probably will be after the FA market cools off.

That's if we can keep Linval Joseph, which will come at a very high cost to a team bent on cutting costs to get breathing room under the cap. Joseph will be getting his rightful "payday" this offseason. Not sure the Giants have a fat enough wallet to be in the game for his future services. Without Joseph, the Giants have to do something quick....and that's probably going to happen.

I think we are set at DT . Patterson is the only one that is a UFA and probably will be after the FA market cools off.

Jenkins, Hankins, Kuhn, Mosely.

That's who is under contract right now at DT.

Mosely is a RG Linval Joeseph is DT

Yeah, for some reason Mosely was listed at DT on overthecap.com.

and yes Linval Joseph is a DT. and Linval Joseph is an unrestricted free agent.

so we have Jenkins, Hankins, and Kuhn under contract at DT.

Yeah, for some reason Mosely was listed at DT on overthecap.com.

and yes Linval Joseph is a DT. and Linval Joseph is an unrestricted free agent.

so we have Jenkins, Hankins, and Kuhn under contract at DT.

I was going by Giants.com and they still have Joseph listed as DT ( and technicaly he still is until tuesday right?)....... they also still have Webby on the team roster so that's how reliable Giants.com is LOL

If I was a gambling man, I'd put a whole lot of money on the Redskins signing Joseph to an extremely lucrative contract. They are flush with money and in dire need of a DT. It's a no brainer, help themselves while weakening a division foe.

And that breaks my heart!

If I was a gambling man, I'd put a whole lot of money on the Redskins signing Joseph to an extremely lucrative contract. They are flush with money and in dire need of a DT. It's a no brainer, help themselves while weakening a division foe.

And that breaks my heart!

I don't see them signing Joesph, they already have Cofield who has been a huge upgrade from them and is better then Joesph at this point.

If anything I can see the Skins signing Tuck.

I don't see them signing Joesph, they already have Cofield who has been a huge upgrade from them and is better then Joesph at this point.

I read this from NJ.com

NFL free agency 2014: Ideal landing spots for Giants' top FAs

DT Linval Joseph

1. Redskins -- Joseph, 25, will get paid. The Redskins have a lot of money and a need for defensive linemen. Joseph would thrive as a 3-4 defensive end in Washington.

2. 49ers -- Justin Smith can't play forever. Sooner rather than later the 49ers need to get younger on the defensive line. Can you imagine Linval working with Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks?

3. Cowboys -- The interior of Dallas' defensive line was paper thin last season. Jason Hatcher, 31, was their only reliable option and he's a free agent as well. Now, if only the Cowboys had money to fill some holes in free agency.

He'd make a nice partner with Cofield to solidify that line. Plus, Washington (like Belichik) loves to stick a finger in the Giants' eyes

Coefield plays NT, Joseph would play 5 tech.

I was going by Giants.com and they still have Joseph listed as DT ( and technicaly he still is until tuesday right?)....... they also still have Webby on the team roster so that's how reliable Giants.com is LOL

go to Ourlads.com they have the most up to date depth charts.