SportsWrath

Looking back at our last 5 drafts

BleedinBlue

Seems to me that we are pretty damn good with our first pick and sometimes the second, and then fall off the board with just a handful of exceptions.

2009: 1) Hakeem Nicks (a stud for awhile); 2) Clint Sintim (complete bust)

2010: 1) JPP (stud) 2) Linvall Joseph (stud)

2011: 1) Prince (stud) 2) Marvin Austin (bust)

2012: 1) David Wilson (?) 2) Rueben Randle (potential stud)

2013: 1) Pugh (stud) 2)Jonathan Hankins (potential stud)

--------------------------------------------------------

The one thing these players have in common is that they were exceptionally athletic at the combine - very fast for their competitive groups.

Hopefully, the front office will look beyond raw speed and athleticism for this year's draft. When they went with Pugh and Hankins last year, they appear to have backed off on rating players only by their athleticism and went for past performance, which might be a lot better way to pick their players.

I absolutely hate that they moved the draft back to May!

Giants have admitted they have rolled the dice on a couple of picks the last few years and we have reaped the benefits of it before. The pressure is on more than ever after months of critics slamming team scouts and Reese.

Draft day still a very long way off and plenty of time to fill some critical holes on the team through free agency. Now in free agency that is where you will the Giants going after productive players that fly under the radar.

Giants have admitted they have rolled the dice on a couple of picks the last few years and we have reaped the benefits of it before. The pressure is on more than ever after months of critics slamming team scouts and Reese.

Draft day still a very long way off and plenty of time to fill some critical holes on the team through free agency. Now in free agency that is where you will the Giants going after productive players that fly under the radar.

That's a really good point. Draft picks usually take a year or two to be NFL ready. Pugh of course, is the exception being the first rookie on a Giants team to start all games since Lawrence Taylor in 1981. But for 22 years, that didn't happen.

When you look back at a couple of key free agents - that's what improved the team dramatically overnight. Plaxico gave Eli a new weapon and opened up the other receivers. Antonio Pierce solidified our LB's for a few years. Fred Robbins was a bargain player that turned the D-line to one of the most feared in the league (helped that bookends were Strahan and Osi and Barry Cofield in the middle after 2 years NFL experience had become a stud, and with backup Tuck in his prime to spell Strahan) - man, what a d-line we had. Shaun O'Hara solidified the O-line. Feagles with his "coffin corner" punts kept the Giants in good field position for years, etc.

Yeah...the more I think about it, the more I realize that this team is going to turn around only if we snag some key FA's. The draft this year is filled with studs, but they need seasoning before they play at the NFL level as needed.

The problem is that Reese and co. have become enamored with athletes instead of football players.

This year I hope we hear more, "that pick is a real football player" than "even though he hasn't put it all together yet... what an athlete." I'm tired of the Marvin Austins and fucking Adrien Robinsons.

The problem is that Reese and co. have become enamored with athletes instead of football players.

This year I hope we hear more, "that pick is a real football player" than "even though he hasn't put it all together yet... what an athlete." I'm tired of the Marvin Austins and fucking Adrien Robinsons.

Didn't we have a WR about 15-20 years ago who had blazing speed (perhaps an Olympic runner) who was one of the fastest players in NFL history, but couldn't catch a ball if it was tossed to him underhand in a living room. I'm scratching my head trying to remember who that was, but he was a huge bust. Running fast is not the same thing as knowing routes, cutting, faking, and catching the fucking ball that lands in your hands.

Didn't we have a WR about 15-20 years ago who had blazing speed (perhaps an Olympic runner) who was one of the fastest players in NFL history, but couldn't catch a ball if it was tossed to him underhand in a living room. I'm scratching my head trying to remember who that was, but he was a huge bust. Running fast is not the same thing as knowing routes, cutting, faking, and catching the fucking ball that lands in your hands.

We've had a ton of those guys... Thomas Lewis, Brian Alford, Tim Carter, Ron Dixon... take your pick.

Seems to me that we are pretty damn good with our first pick and sometimes the second, and then fall off the board with just a handful of exceptions.

2009: 1) Hakeem Nicks (a stud for awhile); 2) Clint Sintim (complete bust)

2010: 1) JPP (stud) 2) Linvall Joseph (stud)

2011: 1) Prince (stud) 2) Marvin Austin (bust)

2012: 1) David Wilson (?) 2) Rueben Randle (potential stud)

2013: 1) Pugh (stud) 2)Jonathan Hankins (potential stud)

--------------------------------------------------------

The one thing these players have in common is that they were exceptionally athletic at the combine - very fast for their competitive groups.

Hopefully, the front office will look beyond raw speed and athleticism for this year's draft. When they went with Pugh and Hankins last year, they appear to have backed off on rating players only by their athleticism and went for past performance, which might be a lot better way to pick their players.

I absolutely hate that they moved the draft back to May!

Not to stir it up, BB, but really, 1st and 2nd round picks should be solid.

Reese's problem is he's getting absolute DICK in rounds 3,4, and 5......you need to get decent starters in those rounds.

We've had a ton of those guys... Thomas Lewis, Brian Alford, Tim Carter, Ron Dixon... take your pick.

Tim Carter gave me a serious case of blue balls......dude would make an insane play, and then be injured for the season.

Not to stir it up, BB, but really, 1st and 2nd round picks should be solid.

Reese's problem is he's getting absolute DICK in rounds 3,4, and 5......you need to get decent starters in those rounds.

I agree whole heartedly. At least Reese hasn't picked up a Ron Dayne or William Joseph with a first pick yet. Those kind of busts really, really hurt.

Tim Carter gave me a serious case of blue balls......dude would make an insane play, and then be injured for the season.

I remember oh so well. Always waiting for him to stay healthy and putting it all together. Like trying to catch a fart with a net in a windstorm with that guy's health.

This....1000% this.

So sick of hearing about athleticism........I'm just glad we made it through the Sochi Olympics without Reese signing a figure skater.

I get that nothing is guaranteed......we are assuming that kids are going to become professionals....that in itself is a huge leap. Then, factor in injuries, adjusting to new systems, etc.

But, if you don't have a guy that has produced at the college level, assuming they'll produce on the pro level because they can run fast, or jump high, is a recipe for the wild misses the Giants have had in the middle rounds.

Reese is always swinging for the fences. Now, with the roster in dire need of restocking, he needs to choke up on the bat, and make contact, and hope to play some small ball in the middle to late rounds.

I'd love to find another Ahmad Bradshaw in the 7th......but really, what this team needs is to get another David Diehl in the 5th.

Go back sometime, and take a lot at Brewer's scouting report, and compare it to David Diehl's scouting report. No fucking comparison.

Diehl was basically a bust-ass grinder with a limited physical ceiling, but a dude who could play all over the line.

Brewer was a huge guy. Period.....that's fucking it. Someone that will likely be a bouncer at Scores in a few years.

I don't believe JPP is a stud... He lacks work ethic.. I hope I'm proven wrong but I sense a William Joseph type of player

No comparison. JPP is high talent high energy, but has been hurt a lot after a stellar rookie season. Joseph was a bump on a log - took naps during practice and between time to be on the field. Got his money and had no real interest in playing football, let alone playing hard. That was the knock on him in college as well - "great size", "low drive", "lazy", "POTENTIAL" - LOL

No comparison. JPP is high talent high energy, but has been hurt a lot after a stellar rookie season. Joseph was a bump on a log - took naps during practice and between time to be on the field. Got his money and had no real interest in playing football, let alone playing hard. That was the knock on him in college as well - "great size", "low drive", "lazy", "POTENTIAL" - LOL

I'm not sure I'd call JPP a stud either. He's had one and a half good years out of four... the guy looks to be much more Kevin Carter than Michael Strahan.

I'm not sure I'd call JPP a stud either. He's had one and a half good years out of four... the guy looks to be much more Kevin Carter than Michael Strahan.

We've seen what he can do, but if he's not 100%, he's worthless out there. That's my take.