SportsWrath

I know alot of you, think Webster is Deion 2.0

Bigblue25

But......

Is Corey Webster in Danger of Losing His Starting Cornerback Spot to Aaron Ross?

Corey Webster’s awful 2012 performance has been a hot topic all offseason among New York Giants’ followers and fans. The hope was that the 31-year-old, who narrowly avoided being cut by Big Blue several months ago, would redeem himself in 2013.

Based on events during the first week of training camp, Webster’s rise back to respectability is not off to a good start.

An early injury, and an attitude not befitting a player coming off a down year, has opened the door for Aaron Ross. Ross is back with the team and rejuvenated after a year with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and may overtake Webster as the starting cornerback opposite Prince Amukamara.

Webster is currently sidelined with a groin injury that he sustained in practice on August 1. As of Sunday, he was still being held out with the injury, and there is no timetable for a return.

The absence of the eight-year veteran gives Ross further momentum to potentially supplant him. I say further because Ross is off to a strong start in camp, looking quick and getting tangible results with interceptions and pass defenses.

The former Jaguar, who spent his first five seasons with the Giants, is happy to be back in New York. Playing for a losing team made him long to return to a team with a winning tradition. As you can see in the excerpt below, courtesy of Zach Schonbrun of the New York Times, he’s of the right mindset to have a strong 2013 campaign, even if he has ruffled some feathers along the way:

Ross said he sorely missed the winning mentality that runs inherently through the Giants’ locker room while the Jaguars suffered through a 2-14 season. He drew criticism recently for telling NFL Network that his stint in Jacksonville was like a “nice paid vacation,” referring apparently to the absence of pressure to perform there, unlike in New York.

But Ross has a different mind-set, with a one-year deal in hand and no playing time guaranteed. His teammates have already noticed a change.

“He seems like he’s a different person,” safety Antrel Rolle said. “He seems like an Aaron Ross that has something to prove.”

Ross is formidable competition for Webster. The 30-year-old started 15 of 16 games back in 2011 in his last season as a Giant. He accumulated a 1.4 Pro Football Focus rating (paid subscription required), playoffs included, over a robust 1,197 snaps.

This is only a slightly-above-average performance, but certainly better than Webster’s 2012, which was bad enough to record a minus-11.3 PFF rating, fourth worst in the NFL among cornerbacks who played in at least 25 percent of their team’s defensive snaps.

Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

Aaron Ross is happy to be a Giant again after a lost season in Jacksonville.

Hearing Webster talk, you wouldn’t know he is coming off easily the worst season of his career. He extolled his own virtues a few days into training camp, before suffering the groin injury, to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News:

I still think I’m a great cornerback. I go out there and compete and work like the best. So yes, sir, you’re only as good as your last game, and that’s what people are going to talk about. I recognized that. But I still work the same way. Nothing fell off.

It is certainly fine for a player to be confident in his abilities, but it would be nice to see Webster acknowledge that he needs to improve after such a poor season.

Webster, however, goes further in his comments to Vacchiano, insinuating strongly that his teammates were partially to blame for his 2012 play:

I would never point the finger and say who was supposed to be here, who was supposed to be there. It doesn’t really matter. As a cornerback I was always taught to have short-term memory. But when I go back and look at the film I know who was supposed to be where. We are honest with each other, so it may have looked a little worse than it seemed.

Corey, you allowed 988 yards receiving, 330 of which came after the catch, and eight touchdowns. All of these numbers were in the bottom five in the league among cornerbacks. Your performance was as bad as it seemed.

Webster’s starting spot seemed safe coming into training camp, mainly because there appeared to be a lack of competition to push him. Ross’ hungry attitude and early play has suddenly changed this belief.

Webster’s health and attitude puts him in a position of weakness in his newfound battle with Ross.

He is sidelined with an injury that does not appear serious but can linger. Assuming he does come back sooner rather than later, his mindset is not conducive to fighting to remain a starter. If he can’t be realistic about how he performed last season, however that is about the only thing he has going for him.

[/Quote]

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1726644-is-corey-webster-in-danger-of-losing-his-starting-cornerback-spot-to-aaron-ross?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=new-york-giants

How's Hosely coming along?

He's looked great, according to reports. Why I hate to see him pushed down the depth chart just cause Ross is back. Thought they signed Ross for depth and someone who may or may not make the team. I liked Hosley in the nickel last year.

He's looked great, according to reports. Why I hate to see him pushed down the depth chart just cause Ross is back. Thought they signed Ross for depth and someone who may or may not make the team. I liked Hosley in the nickel last year.

So basically and assuming TT, Ross, and Web suck, we're one good CB signing away from a really good back field.

Webster had 4 INTs last year, 3 more than any other CB, yet he had a very similar number of tackles as Prince (58 to 53) suggesting he wasn't thrown on significantly more, or didn't give up significantly more completions. This while usually taking the #1 WR. I think a lot of you guys are pinning the pretty frequent blown safety play on him too.

Our secondary as a whole has been bad for the last few(ell) years but I don't think Webster is the main reason for that.

Webster had 4 INTs last year, 3 more than any other CB, yet he had a very similar number of tackles as Prince (58 to 53) suggesting he wasn't thrown on significantly more, or didn't give up significantly more completions. This while usually taking the #1 WR. I think a lot of you guys are pinning the pretty frequent blown safety play on him too.

Our secondary as a whole has been bad for the last few(ell) years but I don't think Webster is the main reason for that.

This is one of the issues I have with a defense that uses so much zone coverage. I generally can't tell who's at fault when a coverage is blown because 9 times out of 10 its due to a miscommunication somewhere. Looking back at 2012, however its still clear that Webster gave up his fair share of big plays. Hell... He gave up a year's worth against Baltimore alone. He definitely needs to step his game up.