SportsWrath

Giants sign DT Franklin Okam

Lughead

Giants add six to roster after mini-camp

Posted 16 minutes ago

eisen-headshot.jpg Michael Eisen Senior Writer/Editor @GiantsEisen

•  

Comments:

The Giants signed six players to the roster following the conclusion of the on-field portion of rookie minicamp

okam_article_051113.jpg EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Giants today announced several roster moves following the conclusion of the on-field portion of rookie minicamp.

They signed six players, including three veterans: linebacker

Aaron Curryicon-article-link.gif, whose addition was revealed yesterday, defensive tackle Frank Okam and tight end Michael Palmer. The latter two impressed at the camp as veteran tryouts.

Okam entered the NFL as the Houston Texans’ fifth-round draft choice in 2008. He has played for the Texans (2008-10) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2010-2011). He was a standout at the University of Texas.

Palmer, a Clemson product, played in 43 regular-season games with five starts and in three postseason games with one start for the Atlanta Falcons the previous three seasons. He caught 21 passes for 123 yards and three touchdowns, all in the regular season.

The other players joining the Giants today were rookies who stood out in camp: wide receiver Jeremy Horne of Massachusetts, defensive backs Junior Mertile of Florida International and John Stevenson of Georgia Southern.

To create room on their roster, the Giants waived six players: tackle Levy Adcockicon-article-link.gif, wide receiver Marcus Davisicon-article-link.gif, defensive back Buddy Jacksonicon-article-link.gif, linebacker Charleus Dieseul, defensive tackle Bobby Skinnericon-article-link.gif and kicker Jake Rogersicon-article-link.gif.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-add-six-to-roster-after-mini-camp/58cbffb2-43c2-470e-8eae-1016a12e1cff

Yeah...a little surprised Davis is cut so soon. I thought he was a sleeper with big things to come. Also surprised Charleus Dieseul got cut. That's also a surprise. Looks like the Giants are mixing in some veteran depth in there with the kiddie corp. Good strategy.

Yeah...a little surprised Davis is cut so soon. I thought he was a sleeper with big things to come. Also surprised Charleus Dieseul got cut. That's also a surprise. Looks like the Giants are mixing in some veteran depth in there with the kiddie corp. Good strategy.

I really thought Charleus Dieseul's wacky name would have kept him on the Giants roster.

Giants must be really serious about stopping the run. Freakin Okam is 6'5" 350 lbs and is known for his stuffing runners. Between Big Hank and Okam...they've picked up some serious beef to plug that middle. The signing of Okam (to me anyway) is an unspoken pink slip for Austin...even if he was a 2nd rd draft pick. It's time to cut our losses with high draft picks that aren't contributing...especially after 2 years of collecting nice paychecks watching from the sidelines.

Giants must be really serious about stopping the run. Freakin Okam is 6'5" 350 lbs and is known for his stuffing runners. Between Big Hank and Okam...they've picked up some serious beef to plug that middle. The signing of Okam (to me anyway) is an unspoken pink slip for Austin...even if he was a 2nd rd draft pick. It's time to cut our losses with high draft picks that aren't contributing...especially after 2 years of collecting nice paychecks watching from the sidelines.

Not so sure it's a pink slip just yet, but should definitely be a red flag for Austin to get his shit in gear because folks are being lined up to replace him if need be.

And I agree, the Giants do seem to be focusing on stopping the run again...but I hope they don't stray too far from the pass rush. Okam and Hank don't appear to be guys who will create much pressure up the middle. At the end of the day, someone is going to have to either command a double team from the linemen or dominate their 1:1 matchups.

Plus Shaun Rogers. Between the three of them you'd think we'd find two that could plug up the middle.

With that much beef up front, it wouldn't surprise me if we occasionally lined up in the 3-4 and sent LB's after the QB. I've read that they are planning on using Demantre Moore as a hybrid the way Kiwi has been used. He's played LB and DE, and with his speed, he could throw a lot of monkey wrenches into the opposing team's offensive strategy if lined up at the LB position.

With that much beef up front, it wouldn't surprise me if we occasionally lined up in the 3-4 and sent LB's after the QB. I've read that they are planning on using Demantre Moore as a hybrid the way Kiwi has been used. He's played LB and DE, and with his speed, he could throw a lot of monkey wrenches into the opposing team's offensive strategy if lined up at the LB position.

Yea but I'm not too crazy about this hybrid stuff... get the guy a position and have him master it...

Not so sure it's a pink slip just yet, but should definitely be a red flag for Austin to get his shit in gear because folks are being lined up to replace him if need be.

And I agree, the Giants do seem to be focusing on stopping the run again...but I hope they don't stray too far from the pass rush. Okam and Hank don't appear to be guys who will create much pressure up the middle. At the end of the day, someone is going to have to either command a double team from the linemen or dominate their 1:1 matchups.

This. These signings put Austin on notice that he's fighting for his career this training camp. This is a crossroads camp for Austin.