SportsWrath

UDFAs

BlueInCanada

A LB?!? That will make Joe happy.

Etienne Sabino, LB, Ohio State

Unless they sign Carlos Dansby, forget it.

When it comes the linebackers , the front office simply does not give a shit . I get that now.

A LB?!? That will make Joe happy.

Etienne Sabino, LB, Ohio State

When it comes the linebackers , the front office simply does not give a shit . I get that now.

TE Chase Clement (LSU) 6'5" 265 / 4.95 40 time / also plays DE and OT

CB Charles James (Charleston Southern) 5'10" 184 / 4.42 40 time / also returns kicks (1st team All Big South Defense)

OLB Alonzo Tweedy (Virginia Tech) 6'1" 197 / 4.40 40 time (ranked 17th out of 176 linebackers in the draft - stock rising in past month)

OLB Etienne Sabino (Ohio State) 6'2" 247 / 4.71 40 time / bench 24 reps (strong sucker) / broken fibula in senior year limiting action and causing stock to drop)

MLB Charles Dieuseul (Mount Union) 6'0" 245 / 4.48 40 time (D3 Football.com All-America First Team; has won Conference MVP at two positions DE and LB)

WR Marcus Davus (Virginia Tech) 6'3.5", 233 / 4.47 40 time (led Virginia Tech with 51 catches for 953 receiving yards and five touchdowns last year)

RB Jeremy Wright (Louisville) 5'11" / 205 lbs / 4.53 40 time (young - don't know much about him other than he was Louisville's primary RB last season)

TE Chase Clement (LSU) 6'5" 265 / 4.95 40 time / also plays DE and OT

CB Charles James (Charleston Southern) 5'10" 184 / 4.42 40 time / also returns kicks (1st team All Big South Defense)

OLB Alonzo Tweedy (Virginia Tech) 6'1" 197 / 4.40 40 time (ranked 17th out of 176 safeties - stock rising in past month)

OLB Etienne Sabino (Ohio State) 6'2" 247 / 4.71 40 time / bench 24 reps (strong sucker) / broken fibula in senior year limiting action

MLB Charles Dieuseul (Mount Union) 6'0" 245 / 4.48 40 time (D3 Football.com All-America First Team; has won Conference MVP at two positions DE and LB)

These are guys we've signed?

These are guys we've signed?

Yes.

According to Ralph Vacchiano, new rules limit teams to 77 players, plus 7 draft picks. Hence, the Giants can only sign 6 UDFA's this year. I imagine they are being fairly picky and probably will be quick to cut fodder if an opportunity arises to pluck someone with more upside.

Lonnie Pryor, FSU, going to be a steal at RB for some team. Also, anyone know if John Lotulelei has signed?

According to the draft sheets, John Lotulelei didn't get drafted and is still available. With his skill set, he's probably working teams against each other to get as much as he can and where he has the greatest opportunity to stick. In a way, he's in a far better position than if he was drafted in the 7th because now he gets to pick the team he wants. The Giants would have been wise to pick him instead of Cox IMO.

Just saw Lonnie Pryor a Jacksonville Jaguar, that is a great UDFA for them. Looks like my boy Lotulelei was signed by the Seahawks, who also grabbed Ty Powell, another player I liked a lot, from Harding, with a 7th round selection. Seahawks care about linebackers. Obviously, their defense really sucks for it, too.

Yes.

According to Ralph Vacchiano, new rules limit teams to 77 players, plus 7 draft picks. Hence, the Giants can only sign 6 UDFA's this year. I imagine they are being fairly picky and probably will be quick to cut fodder if an opportunity arises to pluck someone with more upside.

Let me rephrase this: The Giants have 77 players on their current roster...have 7 draft picks to sign making a total of 84, leaving us with 6 spots. Apparently, the 90 player limit that used to be mandatory after first cuts is now mandatory for training camp. There used to be a lot of teams that picked up 25 - 30 UDFA's, but that should end now. Teams should be a little more picky now than in the past. However, I can imagine that anyone on the roster that is not adored by a coach is on shaky ground if there's an undrafted player available that the head coach wants to try out and a cut must be made in order to sign him.

or if they drafted a weakside linebacker in the 4th round to ride the bench while Williams plays.

or if they drafted a weakside linebacker in the 4th round to ride the bench while Williams plays.

Pdouble, what about in the 2nd round, where you could have had Arthur Brown? Hankins might not even see much time. You have Linval, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Mike Patterson, and Marvin Austin. I'm not questioning the wisdom of drafting Hankins, you always have to look to the future, but this team did not draft a single linebacker. Hopefully one of the two linebackers they signed as UDFA will be something. Tweedy is not a linebacker, though. Not at 197. He's a safety that played linebacker because I don't know why.

I would have liked to pick up Arthur Brown, but burning a second on him is a big risk IMO. I know Baltimore did, but they had a stash of extra picks to trade away and the ONLY position they needed to replace was LB. And the scouts all say the same thing about Brown - "fast, instinctive, a little small for the position"

I think Cooper Taylor could very likely end up being better in the long run and I think the Giants want to move him back to his original position of LB. I believe Richmond liked Taylor's speed and needed him to play safety for them.

Anyway, compare the two.

Taylor.......vs..........Brown

6'5" / 248...............6'0" / 241

4.49 (40 time)...........4.62 (40 time)

127" (broad jump)........116" (broad jump)

4.29 (short shuttle).....did not compete

6.96 (3 cone drill)......did not compete

23 (reps on the bench)...did not compete

4 interceptions sr. yr...2 interceptions sr. yr.

1.5 sacks sr. yr.........2 sacks sr. yr.

Brown of course, skipped the NFL combine due to a injured shoulder.

Regardless...I think the Giants plan on putting 10 more pounds of muscle on Taylor and turning him into an outside linebacker. He's certainly fast enough, strong enough, and it is his natural position. Brown of course played against top tier opponents in school whereas Taylor played against somewhat easier opponents. Both are exceptionally aggressive and athletic.

Pdouble, what about in the 2nd round, where you could have had Arthur Brown? Hankins might not even see much time. You have Linval, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Mike Patterson, and Marvin Austin. I'm not questioning the wisdom of drafting Hankins, you always have to look to the future, but this team did not draft a single linebacker. Hopefully one of the two linebackers they signed as UDFA will be something. Tweedy is not a linebacker, though. Not at 197. He's a safety that played linebacker because I don't know why.

I liked Arthur Brown, wouldn't have been mad if that was the pick either. I'm not mad either day.

Hell, I liked our roster before the draft, the draft is just free extra players to me.

Brown was a WLB in 4-3, wasn't a great draft for true MIKE LB'S. Guys like Bostic were way overdrafted, if we took Jones instead of Nassib, I would been happy with that

Except that the Steelers took Jones with the 17th overall pick in the first round. As far as I'm concerned, the only linebacker worth getting excited about.

Let me rephrase this: The Giants have 77 players on their current roster...have 7 draft picks to sign making a total of 84, leaving us with 6 spots. Apparently, the 90 player limit that used to be mandatory after first cuts is now mandatory for training camp. There used to be a lot of teams that picked up 25 - 30 UDFA's, but that should end now. Teams should be a little more picky now than in the past. However, I can imagine that anyone on the roster that is not adored by a coach is on shaky ground if there's an undrafted player available that the head coach wants to try out and a cut must be made in order to sign him.

Victor Cruz is has not signed yet either.So some one will have to be cut If he signs right?

Added WR Marcus Davus to the UFDA list. 6'3" (listed as 6'4" on several draft sites), 233 lbs - 4.47 (40 time) projected to be drafted in the 6th round and possibly as high as the 4th round. I do like tall WR's. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle again like we did with Cruz. At worst (perhaps at best), a replacement for Hixon and an understudy of Randle. Everything I've read says that he's an incredible athlete that needs refining. Came to school as a QB so understands how a QB thinks. Very clean background so no character issues. The only knock on him is that sometimes he plays lackluster if he's not the focus of the offense. Has lots of room to grow, but has NFL talent now. Needs coaching and personal effort.

"He'll have familiar faces there. The Giants drafted two Hokies early in last year's draft who figure to have prominent roles this year - running back David Wilson and cornerback Jayron Hosley. They also signed outside linebacker Alonzo Tweedy to an undrafted free agent deal yesterday.

Davis, who led Virginia Tech with 51 catches for 953 receiving yards and five touchdowns last year, still doesn't know all the reasons that led to him not being selected, although there were numerous theories - from the receiver's lackluster blocking last year to his agent's relationship with NFL teams to concerns about a shoulder injury from five years ago.

For whatever reason, he dropped. Initially, he didn't watch, but as his phone didn't ring, he tuned in, only to hear names called of players he'd never heard of, adding to his frustration.

"Teams passed on me for whatever reason" Davis said. "That's up to them. But going into camp, I'm going to use that as motivation. Everybody passed on me. The Giants gave me an opportunity to come in and try to prove myself. So I'm just going to use that and come into camp a different person."

From CBS: "An athletic specimen who has a similar skill-set as Dez Bryant, Davis has a lot of NFL tools". "Athletic-looking frame with prototypical length and thickness. Deceptively quick feet and suddenness to evade press at the line. Davis possesses some eye-popping measurables, and will probably rise up draft boards on his pre-draft workouts alone. A close look at game tape, however, shows a receiver who, although tremendously gifted, lacks fundamental consistency and tends to coast at times with his effort. He'll have to convince scouts that he's hungry to improve if he's to go any higher than the fifth round, despite having elite talent".

Added WR Marcus Davus to the UFDA list. 6'3" (listed as 6'4" on several draft sites), 233 lbs - 4.47 (40 time) projected to be drafted in the 6th round and possibly as high as the 4th round. I do like tall WR's. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle again like we did with Cruz. At worst (perhaps at best), a replacement for Hixon and an understudy of Randle. Everything I've read says that he's an incredible athlete that needs refining. Came to school as a QB so understands how a QB thinks. Very clean background so no character issues. The only knock on him is that sometimes he plays lackluster if he's not the focus of the offense. Has lots of room to grow, but has NFL talent now. Needs coaching and personal effort.

"He'll have familiar faces there. The Giants drafted two Hokies early in last year's draft who figure to have prominent roles this year - running back David Wilson and cornerback Jayron Hosley. They also signed outside linebacker Alonzo Tweedy to an undrafted free agent deal yesterday.

Davis, who led Virginia Tech with 51 catches for 953 receiving yards and five touchdowns last year, still doesn't know all the reasons that led to him not being selected, although there were numerous theories - from the receiver's lackluster blocking last year to his agent's relationship with NFL teams to concerns about a shoulder injury from five years ago.

For whatever reason, he dropped. Initially, he didn't watch, but as his phone didn't ring, he tuned in, only to hear names called of players he'd never heard of, adding to his frustration.

"Teams passed on me for whatever reason" Davis said. "That's up to them. But going into camp, I'm going to use that as motivation. Everybody passed on me. The Giants gave me an opportunity to come in and try to prove myself. So I'm just going to use that and come into camp a different person."

From CBS: "An athletic specimen who has a similar skill-set as Dez Bryant, Davis has a lot of NFL tools". "Athletic-looking frame with prototypical length and thickness. Deceptively quick feet and suddenness to evade press at the line. Davis possesses some eye-popping measurables, and will probably rise up draft boards on his pre-draft workouts alone. A close look at game tape, however, shows a receiver who, although tremendously gifted, lacks fundamental consistency and tends to coast at times with his effort. He'll have to convince scouts that he's hungry to improve if he's to go any higher than the fifth round, despite having elite talent".

Is he white? :smartass:

Giants have added RB Jeremy Wright, a junior from Louisville. 5'11" / 205 lbs / 4.53 (40 time) 2012 season ran for 824 yards and 10 TD's. Had a good game against very tough defense of Florida (ranked #1 in the nation at the time) with 84 yds and a TD. Could have attitude problems from what I can tell. Dropped out of school after the football season ended and told no one - not even the school...

Must be someone was cut in order to make room for him. Don't know who.

A couple of interesting notes on our UFDA's.

OLB Alonzo Tweedy: was pursued by New England as well as the Giants. Although listed as an OLB, his real specialty is on special teams. With Virginia Tech, he was a monster at punt coverage and could become our first true "gunner" since David Tyree was on the team. From the Virginia Pilot:

Of Tweedy's 21 tackles this year, 16 have been on special teams. Eight of those are on punt coverage. The rest of the team has 11.

"If I put it right, it's getting stopped; there's no question in my mind," punter A.J. Hughes said. "I could give him three seconds hang time, he's already down there. He's a freak. He's insane."

"I just run," said Tweedy, who has been timed at 4.39 seconds in the 40. "I think of it as a race. As soon as I see them hike the ball, I'm gone. I make one move and I'm out."

Tweedy's nickname could be "Da Cruise Missile", because once he locks in on a target, he seeks it out and destroys it

TE Chase Clement: was one of the top blocking TE's in the entire draft. He's athletic and strong, but not much of a receiving threat. He's very versatile having played DE and OT for LSU in the SEC, without question, the toughest college conference in football. The Giants see him being used as a 6th lineman to be used in short yardage and goal line situations. Our two first TE's (Myers and Robinson) are receiving threats, but aren't known for their blocking ability. Clement will compete against Pascoe for the third TE spot and if he wins, will be used in special situations...especially if the offensive line doesn't come together like we hope.