SportsWrath

The Offense / Gilbride

Allstarjim

Doesn't it seem that the NFL is so offense-centric now that it's very difficult to stop good teams from putting up 35 points or more?

I look at the Patriots' offense, they are hurrying, always putting pressure on the defense. Can't really substitute, can't catch your breath. It's go time. At the same time, our system takes almost all the time off the play clock every play. Does anyone else think that maybe speeding things up is a good idea? I suppose this isn't a new idea. But this team tries to shorten the game. Maybe that's good if you feel you're the inferior team. But why not be more aggressive. Certainly Eli can handle it.

With the way the state of the NFL is today, with dynamic offenses with running QBs now that are difficult to stop, teams are looking to win through offense. Sure, the best teams can also play defense, but they make sure they can put up a lot of points fast, too. It's frustrating to watch a plodding offense that doesn't even attempt to put pressure on the defense. To me, the faster you can get the play in and to the line and snap, the more it is to the defense's disadvantage.

I know Gilbride isn't going to change though, but he should. This isn't our father's NFL anymore. You have to come to every game thinking you need to put up 40 points to win, and how you are going accomplish that isn't just through great play-calling, it's wearing out that defense and pushing the envelope.

I think the point that our offense is in need of a creative mind that will draw up never-seen-before plays or protections can be expanded to include our defense.

Our defensive line is talented, but the most complex thing they run is a stunt where two guys are overlapping when blitzing. On a rare occasion, you might see a corner blitz. But you never see delayed blitzes. You never see disguised coverages. Our defense is a line up and beat the guy in front of you defense and that is every bit as troubling as our boring, uncreative, and far too traditional offense.

But also, it seems that a lot of our offensive success comes from letting the defense get set and eli reading and interpreting the defense.

Point taken, but give Eli a little more responsibility in play-calling, and you can call a quick play in the huddle, and still do that.

Yeah i use to hate it when Eli "Omaha" to the last second.. He need to mix it up a little. If you notice, we seem to always get good results on those crazy 4th Qrt comebacks because Eli lead the no huddle and the defense has no rest or sub. KillDrive need to mix that in the game plan.

Also, when it's second and short, i like the fact that we take chances and bomb a long one but it seems our O-Line just doesn't give eli enough time to set and pass...

With two superbowl under KillDrive's belt.... i'm sure we can't get rid of him other than the some clown team hire him as a head coach...

Yeah i use to hate it when Eli "Omaha" to the last second.. He need to mix it up a little. If you notice, we seem to always get good results on those crazy 4th Qrt comebacks because Eli lead the no huddle and the defense has no rest or sub. KillDrive need to mix that in the game plan.

Also, when it's second and short, i like the fact that we take chances and bomb a long one but it seems our O-Line just doesn't give eli enough time to set and pass...

With two superbowl under KillDrive's belt.... i'm sure we can't get rid of him other than the some clown team hire him as a head coach...

One thing I've thought of is that on those 4th quarter comebacks/no huddles is that i think a large part of it has more to do with Eli's clutchness than an actual no huddle offense.

I think the point that our offense is in need of a creative mind that will draw up never-seen-before plays or protections can be expanded to include our defense.

Our defensive line is talented, but the most complex thing they run is a stunt where two guys are overlapping when blitzing. On a rare occasion, you might see a corner blitz. But you never see delayed blitzes. You never see disguised coverages. Our defense is a line up and beat the guy in front of you defense and that is every bit as troubling as our boring, uncreative, and far too traditional offense.

I was actually thinking about the last few games of the season. What is with the totally un-creative pass rush of Fewell. Did the Giants run any stunts or delayed blitzes in the last few games? It definitely seemed like the pass rush was just run straight ahead into the OLine.

Doesn't it seem that the NFL is so offense-centric now that it's very difficult to stop good teams from putting up 35 points or more?

I look at the Patriots' offense, they are hurrying, always putting pressure on the defense. Can't really substitute, can't catch your breath. It's go time. At the same time, our system takes almost all the time off the play clock every play. Does anyone else think that maybe speeding things up is a good idea? I suppose this isn't a new idea. But this team tries to shorten the game. Maybe that's good if you feel you're the inferior team. But why not be more aggressive. Certainly Eli can handle it.

With the way the state of the NFL is today, with dynamic offenses with running QBs now that are difficult to stop, teams are looking to win through offense. Sure, the best teams can also play defense, but they make sure they can put up a lot of points fast, too. It's frustrating to watch a plodding offense that doesn't even attempt to put pressure on the defense. To me, the faster you can get the play in and to the line and snap, the more it is to the defense's disadvantage.

I know Gilbride isn't going to change though, but he should. This isn't our father's NFL anymore. You have to come to every game thinking you need to put up 40 points to win, and how you are going accomplish that isn't just through great play-calling, it's wearing out that defense and pushing the envelope.

THANK YOU.

it's 2013, all defenses get burned. you have to be able to go shot for shot with them and just try your best to create turnovers on D when you can.

I was actually thinking about the last few games of the season. What is with the totally un-creative pass rush of Fewell. Did the Giants run any stunts or delayed blitzes in the last few games? It definitely seemed like the pass rush was just run straight ahead into the OLine.

Not so sure that I'd limit it to the last few games of the season. But it's a valid argument. When the offense knows what's coming at them and from where, it doesn't take much for them to adjust protections.

Peyton kept calling "hurry, hurry, hurry" the other night. Coincidence? I think not.

He couldn't wait to throw an interception.

I agree with Jim. Keeping the defense off balance is part of the game. The 49ers, for instance, only use about 13 players on defense. If you can mix it up and prevent one of their key substitutions, you're gold. Also, the more plays you run, there is a chance you'll wear them out. If New England meets them, I'm sure they'll employ that tactic. Of course, now that Harbaugh will read this, he'll counter.