SportsWrath

Giants Likely To Re-Sign Safety Deon Grant

Mr. P

The Giants' young defensive players will apparently soon be getting their big brother back.

The team is expected to re-sign veteran safety Deon Grant, according to someone informed of the impending transaction. The person requested anonymity because the move isn't yet official.

Grant, 32, had three interceptions and 10 total passes defensed last season to go along with 72 total tackles. He was a key part of the defense because he allowed coordinator Perry Fewell to employ a three-safety look that took advantage of the depth at the position and compensated for a lack of coverage linebackers.

Grant played a pseudo-linebacker role alongside linebacker Michael Boley, giving the team a nickel (five defensive back) look with dime (six defensive backs) personnel. Safeties coach David Merritt said at the start of camp the team was looking for a player to step into that role, and it now appears that player will be Grant again.

Off the field, Grant was also a key player for the Giants - after being assured he'd get plenty of playing time, of course. He was a calming presence in the locker room (he told reporters after the loss to the Eagles to question the defense, not punter Matt Dodge for the loss) and provided guidance for the younger defensive backs. Grant would nearly always refer to one of those players as his "little brother" while speaking about them during interviews.

An 11-year veteran who spent his first 10 seasons with the Panthers, Jaguars and Seahawks, Grant will once again provide depth at safety for a team lacking in that department. Though there are fewer concerns about Kenny Phillips' knee, as he's now almost two years removed from surgery, there wasn't much depth behind Phillips and Antrel Rolle.

Rookie Tyler Sash struggled in coverage against Panthers tight end Greg Olsen on Saturday, though he recovered to make a play on a ball in the end zone and later forced a fumble.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_re-sign_safety_deon_gra.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

This would be good, and from the sound of the article it sounds like he provides good leadership.

According to PFT, it's a done deal. Grant is back in the fold.

actually PFT's source in their article, is this article.

Pretty fucking stupid to wait this long....you'd think Reese would have learned a lesson from the Steve Smith debacle.

I figured the Giants would wait until Week 2 to reach out to Deon Grant so they wouldn't have to guarantee the contract.

http://twitter.com/#!/TomRock_Newsday

This is a very good move. This move improves our nickel defense (which technically would be a dime, as the article states) greatly. Lots of flexibility now on 3rd downs. Passing down defense should look like this:

--------------------------JPP - Tuck - Canty - Osi-------------------------------

-----------------------------Boley------------------Grant-------------------------

Webster------------------------------------------------------Ross----------------Thomas

-----------------Rolle-----------------------------------Phillips---------------------------

That's an awesome pass rushing front four, and great pass defenders all over the field. This kind of move is really going to help Rolle and Phillips make a lot more plays back in the secondary, as underneath options are less viable than they would be if Grant was replaced with someone like Goff.

On the front four, they could even put JPP in Canty's spot and have Kiwi at DE on the left side, but Canty is hard to block with one guy, I think the package I have there is pretty nice.

This is a very good move. This move improves our nickel defense (which technically would be a dime, as the article states) greatly. Lots of flexibility now on 3rd downs. Passing down defense should look like this:

--------------------------JPP - Tuck - Canty - Osi-------------------------------

-----------------------------Boley------------------Grant-------------------------

Webster------------------------------------------------------Ross----------------Thomas

-----------------Rolle-----------------------------------Phillips---------------------------

That's an awesome pass rushing front four, and great pass defenders all over the field. This kind of move is really going to help Rolle and Phillips make a lot more plays back in the secondary, as underneath options are less viable than they would be if Grant was replaced with someone like Goff.

On the front four, they could even put JPP in Canty's spot and have Kiwi at DE on the left side, but Canty is hard to block with one guy, I think the package I have there is pretty nice.

Not if Ross doesn't know how to tackle.

I'm pretty sure Ross was dogging it because it's preseason. I'm not going to get all crazy on Ross for that. He did seem to dial it up in the second half when he was still on the field. I think somebody told him that he better start performing because his job might not necessarily be a lock.

BTW, I noticed Tuck was dogging it too but nobody got excited about that.

I'm pretty sure Ross was dogging it because it's preseason. I'm not going to get all crazy on Ross for that. He did seem to dial it up in the second half when he was still on the field. I think somebody told him that he better start performing because his job might not necessarily be a lock.

BTW, I noticed Tuck was dogging it too but nobody got excited about that.

Frankly, I'd be happy if Tuck didn't play a single preseason game.

Frankly, I'd be happy if Tuck didn't play a single preseason game.

Me too, Joe... I think overall all of us fans were so football starved from the long offseason and the worry of the CBA negotiations that we are all drawing too many conclusions and getting too wrapped up in a preseason football game, the first one, and after an abbreviated camp with no OTA's, either. I think it's a good evaluation tool for the young guys that are trying to make the team, but for the guys who's spot is secure, preseason is just to get a few reps and keep yourself from getting hurt.

No reason to get worked up until the games really count.

Awesome news!!! Very glad to have him back since I'm not

Comfortable with Sash.

Racist.

:busted_cop:

Sash is good. I think Sash still gets playing time. David Sims is a guy I worry about, though. I really want this guy to make the team and I think Grant's signing may prevent that from happening.

its official, hes back.

and for people wondering why it took this long to sign him back, he said before he wanted to be a starter somewhere, it was probably just now he realized noone was gonna start him.

Giants safety Deon Grant calls the Eagles, 'the type of team I love to face'

Deon Grant's decision to the return to the Giants had much to do with what he considers unfinished business from the way the Giants season ended in 2010, but Grant was not shy about revealing another motivating factor.

Grant watched the Eagles assemble one high-profile free agent acquisition after another, and he wanted a shot at the NFC East rivals that has won six consecutive games over the Giants.

"With all the things going on in Philly right now, that's the type of team I love to face," Grant said. "I'm a competitive guy. With them making all the additions they made, I like to be on the other side against it."

The Giants and Eagles have had dissimilar offseasons, with the Giants losing notable players and the Eagles accumulating notable players, including former Giants wide receiver Steve Smith.

The addition of Grant will not be viewed in the same category as the Eagles' moves, but it's at least a positive move for the Giants.

"No way near. Not at my age," Grant said, when asked if his acquisition can be compared to those the Eagles made. "But we definitely make sure it's a competitive situation, and we'll be ready."

The Giants had monitored Grant throughout training camp, and Grant maintained contact with several Giants teammates and coaches. Although coach Tom Coughlin did not say the move was motivated by anything he saw on the field on Saturday, he said that's always a consideration.

"He's always been a guy you can rely on knowing everybody's assignment, being able to really understand the game," Coughlin said. "He's very smart. Played a long time. And he's a just a good, good solid football player that we know will help us back there."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_safety_deon_grant_calls.html

its official, hes back.

and for people wondering why it took this long to sign him back, he said before he wanted to be a starter somewhere, it was probably just now he realized noone was gonna start him.

Thanks Pdoub :TU:

Looks like the Eagles made a run at Grant, too.

Moments after re-signing with the New York Giants, safety Deon Grant, who was sporting an old school Giants hat, made himself available to the media.

"I knew I'd end up back with the Giants," Grant said. "If I have to take reps [Monday versus Bears] I will. If not no problem. I'll be ready."

Grant acknowledged that several other teams had contacted him, and hinted that the Philadelphia Eagles were among them.

"They took two games from us so I didn't want to join forces," Grant said. "That's the type of team I love to face."

He went on to add that he's seen several "Dream Teams" in his day, but they were all Pro Bowl teams – he's never seen one during the regular season. He also said he has unfinished business with the Eagles, and that he's back to "finish them."

Grant will get his old #34 back from rookie Jarrard Tarrant, although there's no word on what, if anything, it cost him.

To make room for Grant, the team released Cary Harris.

http://www.giants101.com/2011/08/16/new-york-giants-deon-grant-makes-it-clear-he-hates-the-philadelphia-eagles/