SportsWrath

Expectations going into this season

jranieli

I expect good things as well from this team. I am a firm believer that games are won in the trenches and I like both our lines, especially our defensive line. I also like our defensive backfield and think the Giants excel when they focus on defense.

Everyone's worried because we lost some offensive weapons, but we still have the tandem of Bradshaw and Jacobs that combined for over 2000 yards and Nicks and Manningham combined for 2000 yards playing part time because of injuries.

High octane offenses don't usually go to the superbowl.....but the high octane defenses do. I'm quite satisfied with what Reese and TC have done to make this a defense first type of team.

Our Lines (D and O) are top 5 in the league easily. And, despite all AB's fumbles, we have a run game. He will fix it, or give it his best shot Im sure. Yet to see if that pans out, but if Bradshaw figures out his fumbleitis, we have a VERY good run game. Coupled with a high powered pass attack and a great D (aside from the LB corps, still a ?) we have a solid team. Play the game, and see what we got. I bet its something good.

Our Lines (D and O) are top 5 in the league easily. And, despite all AB's fumbles, we have a run game. He will fix it, or give it his best shot Im sure. Yet to see if that pans out, but if Bradshaw figures out his fumbleitis, we have a VERY good run game. Coupled with a high powered pass attack and a great D (aside from the LB corps, still a ?) we have a solid team. Play the game, and see what we got. I bet its something good.

The O line has been shifted and changed to the point where we can't necessarily call it a top 5 O line. Just can't. Two starters are being replaced entirely and one starter is changing positions. With the shortened offseason, there's less time for them to gel and learn each others tendencies/abilities. So even the O line I'd call a question mark. Are there reasons for hope, yes. Are there reasons for confidence, no.

Nicks/Manningham...I'd call a solid 1-2 as far as WRs. Both will face increased coverage until we prove that we can work the middle of the field. Losing Boss and Smith, each of whom worked the middle of the field as possession guys will hurt the outside WRs unless someone else steps up big. AB and BJ have not shown to be reliable targets in the passing game.

Our secondary is good and our DLine is better. Those units I agree could be top 5 units. And the thing is, that they'll feed off of one another. More pressure, allows for better coverage. Better coverage allows for more pressure. That said, if the LBs don't show that the underneath stuff can be covered, we'll succumb to 80 yd/17 play/8 minute drives. With the struggles our offense will seemingly face, our ability to win a game where the other team dominates TOP, will be suspect.

The O line has been shifted and changed to the point where we can't necessarily call it a top 5 O line. Just can't. Two starters are being replaced entirely and one starter is changing positions. With the shortened offseason, there's less time for them to gel and learn each others tendencies/abilities. So even the O line I'd call a question mark. Are there reasons for hope, yes. Are there reasons for confidence, no.

Nicks/Manningham...I'd call a solid 1-2 as far as WRs. Both will face increased coverage until we prove that we can work the middle of the field. Losing Boss and Smith, each of whom worked the middle of the field as possession guys will hurt the outside WRs unless someone else steps up big. AB and BJ have not shown to be reliable targets in the passing game.

Our secondary is good and our DLine is better. Those units I agree could be top 5 units. And the thing is, that they'll feed off of one another. More pressure, allows for better coverage. Better coverage allows for more pressure. That said, if the LBs don't show that the underneath stuff can be covered, we'll succumb to 80 yd/17 play/8 minute drives. With the struggles our offense will seemingly face, our ability to win a game where the other team dominates TOP, will be suspect.

What are you talking about? Beatty has started plenty of games at Tackle already and done well, Diehl replaces Seubert and he's played OG before and the coaches believe that's his better position. The only new fact to the O-line is the center. Do you really think Baas is going to be worse than what we had with O'Hara and Koets last season?

We got better on the offensive line. Also, when did Ahmad become a liability in the receiving game? He had 47 catches last year, he's pretty good in that area.

Fill me in on what problems we will seemingly face. :confused: I think our O will be potent.

What are you talking about? Beatty has started plenty of games at Tackle already and done well, Diehl replaces Seubert and he's played OG before and the coaches believe that's his better position. The only new fact to the O-line is the center. Do you really think Baas is going to be worse than what we had with O'Hara and Koets last season?

We got better on the offensive line. Also, when did Ahmad become a liability in the receiving game? He had 47 catches last year, he's pretty good in that area.

I think he's a liability in the passing game, or any time he touches the ball, for that matter.....

It's just what happens when you fumble the ball once every 40 some touches throughout your career....

Bradshaw usually fumbles for refusing to go down.......you have to like his spunk but if hes going to try and pull his hip out of its socket he should learn to wrap with both hands

hopefully they will get him to lie down on occasion when the situation calls for it.

I think this flaw can be corrected

The NFL.com has us rated as the #9 team in its power ratings........I think that's a fair assessment

top ten teams do not usually have obvious glaring flaws

lets get a little more positive guys

lol. So they ALSO think we are in the same exact spot we were last year. About on the fringe of the playoffs! Great, I feel better already.

My expectations are in the fucking toilet right now.

I'm looking at 6-10 based on the offseason moves....basement in the NFC East.

With luck, we go 8-8 and edge out Redskins, but I doubt it.

Eagles win the Division, still lose to the Packers in the NFC Championship.

Dallas gets Wildcard, loses to Eagles.

Bradshaw usually fumbles for refusing to go down.......you have to like his spunk but if hes going to try and pull his hip out of its socket he should learn to wrap with both hands

hopefully they will get him to lie down on occasion when the situation calls for it.

I think this flaw can be corrected

The fact that the Giants put Bradshaw ahead of Smith on their priority list.....fucking embarrassing.

Repeat.....6-10 this year, our offense will suck balls, our defense will keep us in most games, but fade in the 4th.

My expectations are in the fucking toilet right now.

I'm looking at 6-10 based on the offseason moves....basement in the NFC East.

With luck, we go 8-8 and edge out Redskins, but I doubt it.

Eagles win the Division, still lose to the Packers in the NFC Championship.

Dallas gets Wildcard, loses to Eagles.

Disagreed. Just because a team doesn't make a lot of moves in FA, it doesn't mean they're weak. The steelers hardly made any... I'm not saying we're going to go 16-0 but we're not gonna have a losing season.

While Beatty has filled in at Tackle, he's not been the starter since he's been here. He got beat out at Tackle by a natural guard. So until I see him prove himself week in and week out, he's not a starter. So that's one new starter.

Baas is the second new starter. Granted, I believe him to be an upgrade over Ohara physically, but I don't know that his knowledge of the offensive line calls, shifts, blocking assignments is up to speed yet. I believe that everyone should know their role and how to read the defense, but I also know that Ohara made these calls in the past few years. So, to replace the position, yes, he'll be fine. But the short offseason and the new offense causes some unease in my opinion.

And Diehl is starting in a new positon. He's been awfully reliable and I don't really feel that he'll be a detriment in any way. Readjusting and having new starters on either side of him is concerning however despite his experience at the position.

Disagreed. Just because a team doesn't make a lot of moves in FA, it doesn't mean they're weak. The steelers hardly made any... I'm not saying we're going to go 16-0 but we're not gonna have a losing season.

Dude. The Steelers managed to keep all 22 starters from last year. Weak argument.

Fill me in on what problems we will seemingly face. :confused: I think our O will be potent.

Lack of a passing game once teams double the Nicks and Manningham, which again, shouldn't be diffcult to gameplan given we don't have much of an established receiving threat in the middle of the field now that Smith and Boss are gone. Lack of a running game once we become one dimensional. Again, while Bradshaw may have had some receptions out of the backfield, I feel he's far from reliable in that regard.

As mentioned, I feel that with the Oline changes and limited time in new positions, there could be protection and/or run blocking miscues as well.

I agree that lots of moves during FA doesn't equal playoffs. I also am not one to look at other teams to compare mine against. I do look at what seems to be newly created holes in this team as the starters we have lost are not replaced... ala Boss, Smith

I could be surprised by a guy who steps up, don't get me wrong, but if I am judging based upon what I've seen out of these guys, than I'm concerned. I don't see us so bad as having a losing record, but I don't see playoffs either....again, based on what I've seen. If I had to estimate a record, I'm looking at 8-8 or 9-7...battling Cowboys for 2nd in division.

Lack of a passing game once teams double the Nicks and Manningham, which again, shouldn't be diffcult to gameplan given we don't have much of an established receiving threat in the middle of the field now that Smith and Boss are gone. Lack of a running game once we become one dimensional. Again, while Bradshaw may have had some receptions out of the backfield, I feel he's far from reliable in that regard.

As mentioned, I feel that with the Oline changes and limited time in new positions, there could be protection and/or run blocking miscues as well.

I see it differently. If theres one thing Pascoe does well, its block, And from reports outta camp, Hynoski is a blocking machine. Yes, Boss made some spectacular catches in the middle, but how often did that happen? As a matter of fact, how often did we utilize our TE position in the passing game? Hardly at all. So I think our run game thrives due to the extra blocking we'll get from those 2. And when the run game is goin', the pass game will open up. And Bradshaw doesnt have to be a possession receiver type that makes a living outta catching passes up the middle, he just has to be able to do it, because we'll have the other areas doing their thing. As for the Oline changes, we arent starting any rookies. Everyone on our line has played significantly here, or in Baas' case, in SF. Not a huge learning curve for these guys.

With a next to great D, and an offense that has the ability to score alot and not be one dimensional, the outlook should look bright for the Gmen.

I agree that lots of moves during FA doesn't equal playoffs. I also am not one to look at other teams to compare mine against. I do look at what seems to be newly created holes in this team as the starters we have lost are not replaced... ala Boss, Smith

I could be surprised by a guy who steps up, don't get me wrong, but if I am judging based upon what I've seen out of these guys, than I'm concerned. I don't see us so bad as having a losing record, but I don't see playoffs either....again, based on what I've seen. If I had to estimate a record, I'm looking at 8-8 or 9-7...battling Cowboys for 2nd in division.

Your concerns are reasonable.. and to me.. it's a matter of the glass is half full or half empty.. our problem was the cap. We just couldn't sign or resign people we wanted to. The star we lost was really Cofield.. and the FO believes we have to young stud DTs in waiting... and Canty better perform or he's gone next season.. matter of fact if those 2 young DTs perform as expected, he's gone anyway...

Smith? We (I know I did) wrote him off for this season anyway.. correct me if im wrong but wasn't he a rookie when we won the SB? and we do have WRs who can step up...Boss was a middle of the pack TE whom we couldn't pay as much as Oakland (who always overpays) paid him. And by no means the roster is finalized... I really don't think think Boss is better than Bear Pascoe.. with more reps, he may turn out to be even better...

That being said.. it all came down to our cap situation... our FO didn't mismanage the cap, we just have some very solid players already.. and we're built for the long haul. Reese has had a very good record since he took over... and for that alone we should cut him some slack.

Nas this guy has become an Eagles fan but just won't come out of the closet just yet

Your talking to a wall

He has valid points.. I just think he's a bit on the pessimistic side.. I was there a couple of days ago.

Reality Check TIme guy. ANd I am going to say this while I myself do not have great expectations going to this season but these are cold hard facts.

1. Seubert..... Injured. if resigned most likely would not have been able to play until week 7 or 8 and that is best case scenario. we have the personal waiting to fill in this hole. Rich was a great Giant but his run came to an end.

2. Ohara..... Good aging vet also coming back from injury, has had some injury concerns in the past and going into this season. Replaced him for pretty much a younger healthier version of him

3. Boss..... Okay this one hurt a little bit. But what we were saying when the Giants traded Shockey and we were going into the season with some guy names Boss as our starter. Turned out pretty good didn't it

4. Bradshaw.... We got him back. didn't have to break the bank. He's a good running back. could be great if he learns to hold on to the damn ball

5. S. Smith..... Still recovering from Microfracture Knee Surgery that he had in December.. LESS THAN A YEAR AGO!!! and you think he was going to be able to make any difference this year at all. Why the Eagles Signed him I do not know. But whatever. We offered him a contract before he was injured last year and he told us to stick it he wants to test free agency.

SO what did we Really loose..... Kevin Boss. And we have Travis Beckum that we drafted to be a Pass Catching TE that has not seen the field to much because he was only mediocre at blocking and Boss did both well.

Teams are supposed to build thru the draft. Thats the way it's done.. It's the Parcells way. It's the way almost all good to great teams are. yet your pissed we didn't go on a Marquee Name Signing spree this Free Agency. When have you ever seen that work.

Now, the reason my expectations are not that high is that we do have a lot of younger players that missed out on some vital practice time this Off-season so who knows how far along they are.

Nas this guy has become an Eagles fan but just won't come out of the closet just yet

Your talking to a wall

Comparing a team that lost several starters (core players) and didn't replace them at all to a team that managed to keep all of their starters AND make several good signings is just not a strong argument. Fact.

Teams are supposed to build thru the draft. Thats the way it's done.. It's the Parcells way. It's the way almost all good to great teams are. yet your pissed we didn't go on a Marquee Name Signing spree this Free Agency. When have you ever seen that work.

Now, the reason my expectations are not that high is that we do have a lot of younger players that missed out on some vital practice time this Off-season so who knows how far along they are.

\

I can't speak for everyone here but marquee name signings isn't what it's about. The gripe is with making room for your own players by restructuring several contracts and then shuffling your feet and not resigning any of your key players. And then failing to replace them with other free agents.

Oh, and the linebackers still suck.

As the Giants rip towards their 4th trophy are you prepared for the teasing and torrent of shixx thats going to come down on your head?? I'll say this your consistent- consistently negative

you have placed yourself one rung below Badegg with your pessimistic blab blab blab

What did your mother tell you...........if you have nothing positive to add.....keep quiet

The Giants have one of the strongest rosters in the NFL......I really don't know what you're doing here??

Even Badegg posses real arguments

There was no money to keep the players you wanted to keep.....and one was/is probably done.....WR and RBs do not come back from micro-fracture surgery.......the other had a long history of concussions.......something you rally against

According to you, you should be trying to convince Boss to retire, not wind up like Wayne Cherbet

You havent even seen one Giants pre-season game and you've written them off :rolleyes:

My issue is with Coughlin, not anyone on the roster...............I'm 1000% behind the Giants on the field

Tiki was a virtual coin operated fumble machine and learned to hold the ball and become the best Giants RB of all time.......Bradshaw was a rookie 3 yrs ago......Tiki did not stop fumbling until his 5th or 6th yr.

Yes he fumbles...........he also is one of the most exciting dynamic RBs in the NFL.....hopefully he learns to go down when trapped and not try so hard to fight it.