SportsWrath

In the 1st round the NY Giants select- Von Miller

JackStroud

This kid looks like and reminds me of Justin Tuck...........I want him

The only straight line Von Miller follows, it seems, is to the quarterback.

Everything else about the prized outside linebacker from Texas A&M describes a cocksure player who traces his own path, no matter how unorthodox.

Rather than head to the NFL as a near-certain top 20 pick after a junior season that saw him rack up an astounding 17 sacks, Miller surprised observers and scouts alike by returning for his senior year.

RANKING THE PROSPECTS

And rather than keep a low profile entering a draft overshadowed by the league’s ongoing labor standoff, Miller is front and center as the only college prospect among the 10 players — including Osi Umenyiora and Tom Brady — now suing the NFL for antitrust violations.

VON-DERFUL: The Post rates Texas A&M’s Von Miller as the best linebacker in this year’s NFL Draft.

Getty Images

VON-DERFUL: The Post rates Texas A&M’s Von Miller as the best linebacker in this year’s NFL Draft.

“I wanted to set a good example for all my teammates and all my brothers back at Texas A&M,” Miller said at the scouting combine when asked why decided to pass up serious first-round money.

Staying for his senior season likely helped Miller with scouts, considering he overcame an early ankle injury to notch 91⁄2 sacks and win the Butkus Award as the nation’s top college linebacker. As for taking part in the players’ lawsuit, scouts say that isn’t expected to hurt Miller’s stock in the April 28-30 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall, either.

Speedy pass rushers with long arms who stand 6-feet-3 and 240 pounds are rare enough and desired enough that only the most foolish owner is likely to penalize him on draft day for taking a stand.

“I guarantee you no coach or scout is thinking about that,” an AFC general manager told The Post. “They just see a monster who can get to the quarterback.”

Miller is especially prized because he was an edge pass rusher in a 3-4 alignment in college. With so many NFL teams going to a 3-4, it’s the perfect time for a player such as Miller to be coming into the league. Miller has plenty of company in that department as The Post continues its draft preview with a look at the top prospects at outside and inside linebacker:

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Miller is the headliner here, but scouts are practically giddy when describing the glut of promising pass rushers.

Missouri’s Aldon Smith, UCLA’s Akeem Ayers and Georgia’s Justin Houston are expected

to join Miller among the first

25 or so players taken next month, and don’t be surprised if North Carolina’s Bruce Carter finds his way into the first round, too.

Scouts say as many as nine outside linebackers are getting no worse than third-round grades from most teams, which is astounding. Some will have to put a hand on the ground as defensive ends in a 4-3 scheme, but there isn’t a top-10 prospect who observers say would be incapable of doing so.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/texas_sackman_is_best_of_good_olb_p0SGKDoHkJEbVxSoK8cnkM#ixzz1INW6jLz8

hmmm and I heard you cannot trade players for picks this year only picks for picks

if we could get Eli we can get this guy.......just package some picks.......the rest of our team is pretty much set.

OL sure......but our best oline perfornamce by far last year was our sub filled line that was averaging about 200 rushing yds ger game before ol knothead re-inserted the still injured O'hara :rolleyes:

hmmm and I heard you cannot trade players for picks this year only picks for picks

if we could get Eli we can get this guy.......just package some picks.......the rest of our team is pretty much set.

OL sure......but our best oline perfornamce by far last year was our sub filled line that was averaging about 200 rushing yds ger game before ol knothead re-inserted the still injured O'hara :rolleyes:

The Giants had a top pick that year. Miller will be nowhere near where the Giants pick.

Theres no way we get Miller, but Ayers I would like him. We can get can get a C like Wisniewski from Penn St in Round 2. The tackle class is not very good, I would not take one in the first round, I am not sure I would take one at all. If we can get a Jason Pinkston later in the draft I might would be satisfied with that.

Akeem Ayers would be my first round want.

Theres no way we get Miller, but Ayers I would like him. We can get can get a C like Wisniewski from Penn St in Round 2. The tackle class is not very good, I would not take one in the first round, I am not sure I would take one at all. If we can get a Jason Pinkston later in the draft I might would be satisfied with that.

Akeem Ayers would be my first round want.

I concur, Ayers would be great.

Von miller is way outta reach..... but i do trust JR to make some good picks on this draft.. as for as LB.. i would really like to get one off FA.. it's really rare to find a rookie who would just jump in there and do work... get another Linemen

There is no free agency until something is figured out between the players and owners, including all the un drafted free agents this year.

Another funny thing is who ever you pick in the draft you can have no contact with what so ever.

Ayers is going to be a bust, I'm convinced. His measurables were not impressive at the combine, and his pro day was only very marginally better. On film his game speed looks slow. This guy should be a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder at best.

A better guy is to target Dontay Moch later in the draft. He played DE in college but can run with wide receivers after running a freakishly athletic 4.44 40 at the combine. He was also tops among the DL in broad jump and vert. In fact, he is so freakishly athletic that bleacherreport.com named his combine workout the 3rd Most Freakish Combine workout of the past decade. He is 6'1" and 240 and would be a sick OLB in the NFL. He has the amazing size/speed combo that you simply cannot ignore. He was originally thought to be a 3rd rounder but if he doesn't go in the second or even late in the first I would be shocked. The only knock on Moch is that he went to a small school in Nevada... but you simply can't ignore the tools this player has.

I just think there is no OLB at #19 that has value for that spot, so I think the Giants are going to look at OT, DT, or possibly RB if Ingram is there. Some guys have them taking a G/C like Pouncey but to me that is a mistake when you have the quality LT's that should be there at that spot like Anthony Castonzo, Nate Solder, Gabe Carimi, or maybe even Tyron Smith (my favorite if he's there).

Ayers is going to be a bust, I'm convinced. His measurables were not impressive at the combine, and his pro day was only very marginally better. On film his game speed looks slow. This guy should be a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder at best.

A better guy is to target Dontay Moch later in the draft. He played DE in college but can run with wide receivers after running a freakishly athletic 4.44 40 at the combine. He was also tops among the DL in broad jump and vert. In fact, he is so freakishly athletic that bleacherreport.com named his combine workout the 3rd Most Freakish Combine workout of the past decade. He is 6'1" and 240 and would be a sick OLB in the NFL. He has the amazing size/speed combo that you simply cannot ignore. He was originally thought to be a 3rd rounder but if he doesn't go in the second or even late in the first I would be shocked. The only knock on Moch is that he went to a small school in Nevada... but you simply can't ignore the tools this player has.

I just think there is no OLB at #19 that has value for that spot, so I think the Giants are going to look at OT, DT, or possibly RB if Ingram is there. Some guys have them taking a G/C like Pouncey but to me that is a mistake when you have the quality LT's that should be there at that spot like Anthony Castonzo, Nate Solder, Gabe Carimi, or maybe even Tyron Smith (my favorite if he's there).

Ayers ran a 4.69 at his pro day, I think he plays faster. I really have come to like Ayers, he is very instinctive especially in coverage. To me exactly what we need. Moch is a 3-4 guy, only to me. I do not like any OT in this draft. If we take Castonzo, good luck to Eli. Ware, Cole and Orakpo we be in our backfield on every down. I am not sure if the Castonzo family has money that they pay scouts to hype their kid or what, but I have no idea how he is a 1st round prospect. Smith is way too raw to plug and play. We take Smith we might has well till next year when the OT class is much better, cause he will not see the field this year. I have even soured on Carimi, who I had us taking. If we go Oline in round one, the only one I would want would be Pouncey. There be will G/C options though later, Wisniewski, Hudson, Kirkpatrick and I really like Alex Linnekohl out of Oregon St. Ayers would be very good for me, but what do I know I hyped Weatherspoon last year, who likes look he is gonna be a good pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36hhdBm9QU

Ayers ran a 4.69 at his pro day, I think he plays faster. I really have come to like Ayers, he is very instinctive especially in coverage. To me exactly what we need. Moch is a 3-4 guy, only to me. I do not like any OT in this draft. If we take Castonzo, good luck to Eli. Ware, Cole and Orakpo we be in our backfield on every down. I am not sure if the Castonzo family has money that they pay scouts to hype their kid or what, but I have no idea how he is a 1st round prospect. Smith is way too raw to plug and play. We take Smith we might has well till next year when the OT class is much better, cause he will not see the field this year. I have even soured on Carimi, who I had us taking. If we go Oline in round one, the only one I would want would be Pouncey. There be will G/C options though later, Wisniewski, Hudson, Kirkpatrick and I really like Alex Linnekohl out of Oregon St. Ayers would be very good for me, but what do I know I hyped Weatherspoon last year, who likes look he is gonna be a good pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36hhdBm9QU

His 40 time ranges between a 4.69 and 4.78 on his Pro Day, depending on whose stopwatch you trust. After the 4.84 at the combine, and his pedestrian numbers at UCLA (4th on his team in tackles with 68, and only 4 sacks), I'm not sure where all the hype comes from. I'm curious as to why you think Moch is a 3-4 guy but not Ayers. To me, Ayers, whose strongest attribute is rushing the passer, is the exact mold of a 3-4 OLB pass rusher. With Moch's speed and athleticism, he should be able to cover the Jason Witten's or LeSean McCoy's coming out of the backfield and so on, and to me could play the strongside or the weakside. To me anyways, Ayers is just another OLB that will come in and not do much for us in the way of upgrading the position from an athletic standpoint. I think we really need a guy who can cover ground. Where we are hurting, at least at the linebacker position, is that we don't have a lot of speed there, so we are getting killed underneath in the passing game. I don't think a player like Ayers changes that a bit. I'm trying to find out what Ayers does really well, and I really can't find anything.

Last year I really liked McClain but obviously he went too early. And I was the first on this board to say Von Miller looked like an absolute monster, before all the draft gurus starting projecting him as a top 5 pick.

His 40 time ranges between a 4.69 and 4.78 on his Pro Day, depending on whose stopwatch you trust. After the 4.84 at the combine, and his pedestrian numbers at UCLA (4th on his team in tackles with 68, and only 4 sacks), I'm not sure where all the hype comes from. I'm curious as to why you think Moch is a 3-4 guy but not Ayers. To me, Ayers, whose strongest attribute is rushing the passer, is the exact mold of a 3-4 OLB pass rusher. With Moch's speed and athleticism, he should be able to cover the Jason Witten's or LeSean McCoy's coming out of the backfield and so on, and to me could play the strongside or the weakside. To me anyways, Ayers is just another OLB that will come in and not do much for us in the way of upgrading the position from an athletic standpoint. I think we really need a guy who can cover ground. Where we are hurting, at least at the linebacker position, is that we don't have a lot of speed there, so we are getting killed underneath in the passing game. I don't think a player like Ayers changes that a bit. I'm trying to find out what Ayers does really well, and I really can't find anything.

Last year I really liked McClain but obviously he went too early. And I was the first on this board to say Von Miller looked like an absolute monster, before all the draft gurus starting projecting him as a top 5 pick.

did you watch the highlights? He is exactly what you are describing. If we do pass on Ayers, I really like McCarthy or Sturdivant, in round two. I would like to know what happens with Coefield, Smith and Boss, do we resign all three, two out of the three, zero out of the three. We maybe could go DT, someone like Corey Liuget, but if Coefield is resigned that's not a priority, I said before I like Torrey Smith if Steve Smith is not resigned, then if Boss is not resigned maybe we look at Kyle Rudolph or maybe Luke Stocker who I like. Then there's Bradshaw, if he goes we could look at RB. I am not a fan of Ingram, I would rather have Ryan Williams or Jordan Todman or Shane Vereen. I just wish the free agency period would get here, which I am not sure it will. Until then I think we are up and arms

did you watch the highlights? He is exactly what you are describing. If we do pass on Ayers, I really like McCarthy or Sturdivant, in round two. I would like to know what happens with Coefield, Smith and Boss, do we resign all three, two out of the three, zero out of the three. We maybe could go DT, someone like Corey Liuget, but if Coefield is resigned that's not a priority, I said before I like Torrey Smith if Steve Smith is not resigned, then if Boss is not resigned maybe we look at Kyle Rudolph or maybe Luke Stocker who I like. Then there's Bradshaw, if he goes we could look at RB. I am not a fan of Ingram, I would rather have Ryan Williams or Jordan Todman or Shane Vereen. I just wish the free agency period would get here, which I am not sure it will. Until then I think we are up and arms

I did watch the highlights. I think most of the time he is slow. There are also "highlights" of him against Cal and Oregon, they are not flattering. He gets blocked out of the play an awful lot and whiffs on tackles. If you watch film of Miller and put that next to Ayers, you see a huge gap in athleticism.

I did watch the highlights. I think most of the time he is slow. There are also "highlights" of him against Cal and Oregon, they are not flattering. He gets blocked out of the play an awful lot and whiffs on tackles. If you watch film of Miller and put that next to Ayers, you see a huge gap in athleticism.

Against Cal, I don't think he was too bad. He ran down Vereen on a few ocassions, and Vereen is a quick back. Cal also like to bring Vereen out of the backfield, similar to McCoy, he read the QB the whole way and had a few batted balls. I seen his tape against Stanford, that game he did not look too good. Stanford also has a really good oline, Ayers was on a pretty bad UCLA d also, he seems to be the only making plays. Like I said a team with a good o line like Stanford, can seal him off and make the rest of the team do something.

one things for sure, im sick of drafting 3-4 players and trying to get them to play in the 4-3.

I concur and the whole up side talk is also bullshit. Combine means nothing when it comes to playing football. If it did the Raiders would win every year because Davis loves the track guys.

The draft is going to be a cluster fuck because the Giants can't know who to draft. Obviously Reese will have a plan on signings but could easily lose key players and not have drafted a replacement.