SportsWrath

Linval could be the steal

JMFP

I know....it's just training camp.....but the more I hear about this kid, the more excited I get. I like the fact that he showed up in great shape, got signed quickly, and is already putting the heat on for a starter's spot.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/giants_defensive_lineman_linva.html

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Linval Joseph made a quick move inside Mitch Petrus and could see nothing but quarterback. That’s when Petrus reached out and grabbed Joseph. A few plays later, it happened again.

With the officials yet to arrive at Giants training camp, there was no flag and no indication any of the coaches had seen the holds.

But Joseph knows those plays are on film for them to see later, and that an offensive lineman won’t try grasping like that with the refs around.

“That’s just how it goes: I make a move, I’m free, I get held,” Joseph, the Giants’ second-round pick, said Monday.

“I don’t get mad because, in game situations, hopefully they won’t hold me like that. But yeah, I’m starting to make plays and (get) exposure a little bit more.”

Joseph is actually getting tons of exposure right now and is pretty hard to miss.

It began on Saturday night with two stops in the backfield and a sack. It continued Monday morning with Joseph’s shooting into the backfield on consecutive snaps: a tackle for a loss and a sack. After flying past the Giants linemen, Joseph finally was stopped -- by Petrus’ holds.

Petrus, the Giants’ fifth-round pick, has gotten off to an impressive start in camp, so the fact he was beaten a few times was an indication of how much progress Joseph has made in a short period of time.

“I feel pretty good. I’m picking up the plays and making plays,” Joseph said. “The last couple of days just getting used to the pads and getting used to the game speed. Just trying to learn how to use my hands to make more plays because D-linemen have to have great hands.”

I think this Joseph kid can really be something special. We haven't had a big body like that in the middle since Norman Hand.

Loved the Hand....too bad the Giants didn't get him in his prime..grew up in Queens, NY too.

Anyways...I think this guy can have the same impact..and probably even more than Keith Hamilton. Keith was a better pass rusher though, I think this guy is gonna clog the middle and let guys like Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, JPP (YEAH YOU KNOW ME) get all the sacks.

Loved the Hand....too bad the Giants didn't get him in his prime..grew up in Queens, NY too.

Anyways...I think this guy can have the same impact..and probably even more than Keith Hamilton. Keith was a better pass rusher though, I think this guy is gonna clog the middle and let guys like Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, JPP (YEAH YOU KNOW ME) get all the sacks.

Man, Keith Hamilton sure vanished after his retirement... I sure would like to see him recognized at some point.

Man, Keith Hamilton sure vanished after his retirement... I sure would like to see him recognized at some point.

Getting busted with coke straight away probably didn't help.

I hope Joseph is that good, and it isn't just a case of Petrus sucking.

And we have had a big presence in the middle, Mr. Freddy "THAT WAS NOT A FUCKING FORWARD PASS" Robbins. Our most under-appreciated defensive player of recent years.