SportsWrath

Super Bowl XLII hero David Tyree re-signs with team

BIGBLUE01

......wants to go out a Giant

Giants sign Tyree

David Tyree had a strong inkling his NFL career might be over. On Friday, he'll make it official.

With the team he said has given him his "greatest memories."

The Super Bowl XLII hero, whose miraculous catch with Patriots safety Rodney Harrison hanging all over him will remain the defining moment of his career, signed a one-day contract with the Giants so he can retire as a member of the organization, the team confirmed.

Tyree will make the announcement during a 10 a.m. conference call.

Tyree, 30, played five seasons with the Giants, who stuck with the former sixth-round pick after a drug arrest in 2004. Upon turning his personal life around, Tyree found success as a special-teams ace and was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2005. He saw very little action as a wide receiver and didn't make a big, clutch play on offense until a fourth-quarter touchdown against New England.

Then, on the game's final drive, came his 32-yard reception when he pressed the ball against his helmet, somehow held onto it as he fell to the ground and kept it from hitting the grass as he was bent backward over Harrison. It was a play considered by many to be the best in Super Bowl history. A few plays later, Eli Manning found Plaxico Burress for the game-winning touchdown.

It would be Tyree's last meaningful game in a Giants uniform, as he suffered a knee injury the following offseason, was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list and eventually ended the season on injured reserve. Last year, Tyree had a feeling he'd be a roster casualty because of the numbers at wide receiver and that turned out to be the case. He was released during final cuts.

Tyree signed with the Ravens and played 10 games as a special-teams presence. But this offseason, he was not tendered a contract. After a visit to Giants practice in June, Tyree admitted he was working out "but not enough to be at a Pro Bowl level" and suggested his career might soon be over. The spiritual Tyree hinted a role in both the media and the ministry could be in his future.

“It’s very likely I could shut it down and I won’t have any qualms about it," he said. "Like I said two years ago, if everything ended with this, I had to be happy. It’s been a crazy ride.”

Thank you David. My son thanks you too. You gave him a memory he'll never forget at the age of 13, and he's a Giant fan through and through now. :clap:

If you were to take away what he did in the Super Bowl run, and specifically what he did in that Super Bowl game, Tyree was just another guy.

But for all the mediocrity at the WR position during the regular season and his involvement in the special teams...that one catch goes down in Giants lore. So much so that we forget he actually caught a TD pass prior to that catch.

......wants to go out a Giant

Giants sign Tyree

Thank you David. My son thanks you too. You gave him a memory he'll never forget at the age of 13, and he's a Giant fan through and through now. :clap:

I thought they'd bring him back after Hixon went down :(

If you were to take away what he did in the Super Bowl run, and specifically what he did in that Super Bowl game, Tyree was just another guy.

But for all the mediocrity at the WR position during the regular season and his involvement in the special teams...that one catch goes down in Giants lore. So much so that we forget he actually caught a TD pass prior to that catch.

dude, shut the fuck up... Tyree was a beast on special teams... and besides who the fuck are you to take away THE GREATEST CATCH IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY...

dude, shut the fuck up... Tyree was a beast on special teams... and besides who the fuck are you to take away THE GREATEST CATCH IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY...

He was a beast for a year or two and then was living on that reputation. And when did I ever talk down his catch...I did the exact opposite you ignorant cum rag when I spoke more highly of THE GREATEST CATCH IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY than his TD catch.

He was only a special teams ace at best three years and a mediocre WR his entire career, however without him we wouldn't be talking about our third Superbowl win.

He was only a special teams ace at best three years and a mediocre WR his entire career, however without him we wouldn't be talking about our third Superbowl win.

3 years is pretty good.. I didn't anoint him MVP but at this point in time... and with him signing with the Giants to retire as a Giant, let's give the man his due respect and not belittle his achievements... which is what I inferred from Lube's comments.

I don't care how long a guy wears blue... once a person puts on that uniform and does well, he's part of the family. You will never hear me defend Carlos Emmons... that's all I'm saying. As a matter of fact the Giants should never sign anyone named Carlos (sorry Nem :D)

Tyree was an excellent gunner--Feagles would have a lot more touchbacks if it wasn't for Tyree consistently downing his punts inside the five.

And while the kid couldn't get open to save his life, once he did, he did have great hands.

Best of luck David, and thanks for the memories.