SportsWrath

NY Giants to work out former Indianapolis Colts backup quarterback Jim Sorgi

Mr. P

6:34 p.m. UPDATE Sorgi's agent, Matt Brei, confirmed the workout via his Twitter account.

The backup for one Manning will now audition to be a reserve for another.

Former Colts quarterback Jim Sorgi has scheduled a visit with the Giants Monday, according to someone informed of the meeting. The person requested anonymity because the team doesn't comment on workouts.

The Giants are looking for a potential replacement for David Carr, who met with the 49ers this weekend and appeared headed to San Francisco Saturday. As of Sunday, there was no official word of a contract being finalized.

Sorgi, a sixth-round pick of the Colts in 2004, appeared in 16 games with Indianapolis over the past six seasons. He completed 99 of 156 passes for 929 yards, six touchdowns and one interception. Obviously, he made no starts, as Peyton Manning hasn't missed a game since entering the NFL in 1998. Eli Manning also has an impressive consecutive games streak going, as he's started all 97 regular-season games (plus seven postseason games) since taking over for Kurt Warner in 2004.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_giants_to_work_out_former_i.html

career highlights: the official manning brothers clipboard holder.

does he get to wear an Oreo Jersey in the next Lickoff?

I can see him in the back ground with a clip board and a towel around his next head set on Half whisper ....... Remember Guys I got your backs

Being a back up for a Manning has to be the easiest job in the NFL. What do you figure these guys get for holding a clipboard & 'practicing'? At least a mil, right? There's something in being a professional back up.

If you are going to bring in Jim Sorgi, then at least take a look at guys like Todd Collins or Mark Brunell.

If the price is right, Collins would be a solid back up. I think I would prefer him to Sorgi. He has a bit more game experience and has shown that he can manage winning efforts in the NFL.

This is not a huge hurdle to get over but in my opinion he is better than the dude that starts for the skins.

WFAN is reporting that QB Jim Sorgi, who worked out ths morning 4 #nyg, has bn sent 4 a physical. I still think he signs w/ the #giants.

QB Jim Sorgi completed his physical and is back meeting with #nyg coaches. I'm hearing his workout went well this morning

http://twitter.com/Inside_Football

I think he's probably the best choice of those mentioned

I think he's probably the best choice of those mentioned

agreed. the skill level of the #1 increases the skill level of the back up exponentially. in other words, i'd rather have peyton's back up than jp losman's back up.

why did the colts choose not to sign him?

TheBlueScreen

It doesn't look like Jim Sorgi will become Eli Manning's backup. The Giants have expressed some concern over health of his shoulder

TheBlueScreen

He's still visiting and "The door is not closed," his agent said, but a contract won't happen today, or any time soon.

Agent for quarterback Jim Sorgi doesn't anticipate a contract with NY Giants Monday

sorgi030810jpg-a8409dd33208c37d_large.jpg

Free-agent quarterback Jim Sorgi worked out for the Giants Monday morning and went for a physical early in the afternoon. The next question is obviously whether he'll sign in the late afternoon.

According to Sorgi's agent, that likely won't be the case.

"He's only been free for a couple of days, so we didn't anticipate jumping into a signing right away," Sorgi's agent, Matt Brei, said by phone minutes ago. "On our part, it's about getting a feel for the market for Jim and on the Giants' part, I think they're looking to get a feel for his health."

Sorgi landed on injured reserve in December of last year with a shoulder injury. Brei said it was due to tendinitis in Sorgi's shoulder. Brei said Sorgi has visited numerous doctors, including noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, but none of them have recommended surgery, which is something the Giants wanted to know.

"There have been a lot of rumors, so I just wanted them to spend some time with him," Brei said of Sorgi and the Giants. "Obviously, their doctors had some questions and we're in the process of helping answer them."

Did Sorgi technically "fail" the physical? Perhaps, though Brei indicated the door remains open for a potential signing.

"There's interest on the Giants' part," Brei said. "And we'll continue to talk. Nothing is imminent."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/agent_for_quarterback_jim_sorg.html

agreed. the skill level of the #1 increases the skill level of the back up exponentially. in other words, i'd rather have peyton's back up than jp losman's back up.

why did the colts choose not to sign him?

Absolutely, and Sorgi was Peyton's backup for quite a while, if I'm not mistaken. Must be because of the shoulder concerns that he wasn't resigned, I guess...

Absolutely, and Sorgi was Peyton's backup for quite a while, if I'm not mistaken. Must be because of the shoulder concerns that he wasn't resigned, I guess...

shoulder??? must be some heavy clipboards in Indy.

shoulder??? must be some heavy clipboards in Indy.

That's what I was thinking....tendinitis requires you actually use your arm.....someone should tell Sorgi that 'tendinitis' and "Wanker Arm" are two completely different things.

That's what I was thinking....tendinitis requires you actually use your arm.....someone should tell Sorgi that 'tendinitis' and "Wanker Arm" are two completely different things.

could be hurt it playing wii curling...

Giants are reportedly going to look at Jeff Garcia, who I wouldn't mind.

Yea I woudln't either. Last time he saw the Giants it wasn't pretty.. for him. Maybe he should just join us lol