SportsWrath

OK, Who Do We Want?

fringe

It's obvious the the Giants are going to want an experienced DefCo after the Sheridan experiment. Here's the top 20 DC's rated before the season started. A lot of them are 3-4 coaches (not to be ruled out as far as I'm concerned) . I've always liked Ron Rivera but I think he's interviewing for HC.

1. Dick LeBeau, Steelers. LeBeau perfected the zone blitz, and you'll see Pittsburgh continue to run this defense as long as he's the coordinator. He likes to mix looks and bring pressure from different points on the field. He doesn't have a great matchup secondary, so he attacks offenses with all-out pressure.

2. Jim Johnson, Eagles. Another disciple of the zone blitz, Johnson likes to bring pressure from up and down the line and he asks his defensive backs to jam receivers and play physical. Typically, he prefers quicker one gap-shooting linemen and active linebackers. This is probably the most athletic front seven the Eagles have had in a while, but they still like to bring the blitz. After taking a leave of absence to undergo chemotherapy, here's hoping Johnson is healthy enough to be on the sidelines in '09.

3. Leslie Frazier, Vikings. He has the horses up front to send a nice pressure package at quarterbacks, and he likes to play some mixed zones behind it with cornerback Antoine Winfield more often in press coverage. With DE Jared Allen joining the team last year, the blitz package is a thing of the past, though it could return if the Williams Wall misses significant time.

4. Jim Bates, Bucs. Tampa Bay's new defensive leader plays an aggressive scheme that calls for playmakers to make big plays. Look for the Bucs to move away from the traditional Tampa-2 zone scheme and have defensive backs making more plays on the ball, while the defensive front will be less about stunts and twists and more about getting pressure off the edges.

5. Dom Capers, Packers. He is a diehard believer in the 3-4 defense. We wonder whether Green Bay has the pieces to make the change in '09. Capers knows the scheme inside and out and has been through the transition before. He can guide players like Aaron Kampman, A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett through struggles.

6. Greg Blache, Redskins. He runs an aggressive scheme that relies on pressure at every level. He likes to get a big push inside from his tackles, explaining the Albert Haynesworth signing. Blache also likes linebackers who run to the ball and corners and safeties who press and play close to the line of scrimmage. With more pieces in place, expect Washington to harass the quarterback consistently in '09.

7. Mike Nolan, Broncos. He will have a challenge this season, but if anyone can turn around a moribund defense it's Nolan. An ardent 3-4 man, Nolan must employ a hybrid in '09. His priority is shoring up the run defense, a benefit of playing the 3-4 front. He must rely on a strong secondary to play well in coverage while he figures out how to generate pressure on the quarterback.

8. Dean Pees, Patriots. Pees is learning from the master, Bill Belichick. No team does a better job of adapting personnel and playing the matchup game. With upgrades in the secondary, Pees will have more options in the pass rush. He will bring a fourth rusher out of the 3-4, but that player always will come from a different spot on the field. Pees is a name to watch.

9. Mike Zimmer, Bengals. The Bengals likely will continue to employ a 4-3 scheme as it has throughout Marvin Lewis' tenure. Cincinnati has a lot of linebackers and converted college ends, so Zimmer could tinker with some 3-4 alignments. Zimmer has extensive experience mixing formations and will introduce some new wrinkles to confuse opponents.

10. Paul Pasqualoni, Dolphins. Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano love him, and after watching that turnaround last year who are we to argue? Pasqualoni has the knowledge and adaptability skills to be an asset within any scheme, but he is an old-time coach who can teach technique on a one-on-one level. Joey Porter's career was over until Pasqualoni arrived in Miami.

11. Clancy Pendergast, Chiefs. Pendergrast is unpredictable -- at times unorthodox -- and is tough to game plan against. The Chiefs will use a 3-4 scheme as their base defense, but liberal usage of the 4-3 in nickel sets keeps opponents guessing.

12. John Marshall, Raiders. Marshall, who comes to Oakland after a six-year stint as Mike Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Seattle, is all about pressure. The Seahawks were among the most prolific pass-rush teams in recent seasons, thanks to a strong outside rush and quick, gap-shooting tackles. He likes to mix coverages and formations, so versatility in the front seven is critical. There is talent on the Raiders' roster, so don't be surprised to see more success in '09.

13. Gregg Williams, Saints. He uses a lot of stunts and twists with his linemen. Speed at defensive end is important. In the secondary, New Orleans will utilize a mixture of zone and man-to-man schemes with a lot of cornerback man-to-man coverages with safety help over the top in combination schemes.

14. Ron Rivera, Chargers. He has experience coaching the 4-3, the Tampa-2 and now the 3-4 scheme. Although the Chargers will remain a 3-4 front, Rivera incorporates aspects of the other schemes. That means more aggressive play-calling in terms of blitzes and letting Shawne Merriman loose behind a more talented defensive front.

15. Gunther Cunningham, Lions. Big and physical is the way Cunningham and new coach Jim Schwartz like their defensive players. The first priority will be stopping the run and solidifying the front seven. Look for plenty of aggressive calls and blitz schemes early.

16. Perry Fewell, Bills. Fewell runs a conservative version of the 4-3 scheme. The Bills blitz sparingly, preferring to generate a push with linemen. He likes to utilize a lot of cover-2 zone schemes. Fewell uses some pre-snap movement to confuse opponents, but after the snap he keeps it pretty basic.

17. Larry Coyer, Colts. A former defensive line coach, he will emphasize the importance of line play -- in pressuring the quarterback and defending the run. Coyer has been around a long time and is a 4-3 disciple, but he is sure to address the Colts' weakness in defending the run.

18. Rob Ryan, Browns. He uses a fair amount of formations to keep opponents guessing. Look for a lot of different formations and movement within the Browns' 3-4 scheme, which will look a lot like brother Rex's hybrid scheme made famous in Baltimore. We will see a lot of press coverage by the cornerbacks and be aggressive, mostly using man-to-man. It is a fairly simple defense that relies on the guys up front to apply pressure while the back seven concentrates on coverage.

19. Greg Manusky, 49ers. He emphasizes a 3-4 press-type style with lots of different looks and frequent shifting of personnel. The key element for opponents is trying to figure out where the fourth pass rusher is going to line up. Frequent blitzing by cornerbacks and safeties is a staple -- as well as lots of man-to-man coverage -- but the main pass rush must come from the outside linebackers. He also will show a 4-3 nickel front in passing situations. This defense will resemble the Steelers at times, and don't be surprised to see Patrick Willis unleashed as a blitzer.

20. Ron Meeks, Panthers. He likes to play zone schemes behind a stunting defensive line. He likes to have constant movement that really confuses blocking schemes. The back seven play it sound and simple; they try to keep everything in front of them and prevent big plays. You are not going to beat his defense by dictating matchups on offense. They don't like to blitz much and shouldn't have to if Julius Peppers return

None of these coaches are on the hot seat. I think Dick Jourand(sp) will be the obvious choice.

let me give you a lesson on recruiting, my friend. You want someone who is excelling at what they do, not someone on the hot seat.

we have a good story to sell:

Storied Franchise

Great Fan Base

New Stadium

Aging Head Coach

Lowered Expectations (considering what happened this year, it's easier to improve the D then say last year when the bar was set higher)

Our defensive line did nothing this season to justify remaining with the 4-3. I've always loved the 3-4.

Romeo Crennel might be gone to KC (which would suck)....if not him, then get Dick Jauron in here.

Our defensive line did nothing this season to justify remaining with the 4-3. I've always loved the 3-4.

Romeo Crennel might be gone to KC (which would suck)....if not him, then get Dick Jauron in here.

Yeeeeaaahhhh...but our linebackers did even less to justify switching to a 3-4.

Yeeeeaaahhhh...but our linebackers did even less to justify switching to a 3-4.

instead of replace 3, we replace 4. perhaos we can trade osi or Kiwi for a stud LB or a high draft pick. it's not like we have much legacy left on Defense.

instead of replace 3, we replace 4. perhaos we can trade osi or Kiwi for a stud LB or a high draft pick. it's not like we have much legacy left on Defense.

We'd need 7 linebackers of some quality, especially since they'll take more hits in a 3-4. We have one good linebacker right now; Boley, who got dumped when the Falcons switched to a 3-4. Maybe Sintim would develop faster in the 3-4, but that's about it.

Then we have to get a nose tackle, which none of our linemen can do right now, and see if maybe Alford or Colfield could play DE across from Canty. That leaves Osi, Tuck, and Kiwi either as outside backers or traded.

When healthy, Tuck is probably our best defender, and a 3-4 forces him to play out of position, at best.

I'd love to go to 3-4, but we'll waste another year for the offense doing the switch. As it is, we've already got worries with Seubert and McKenzie; and both of our RBs going into surgery within the next month.

i think a good DefCo will assess the talent (or lack thereof) and decide what's right. he makes a 1 year plan and a 2 year plan.

i was never much for these guys who bring in their own system at all costs- so I guess if a DC said 'we have to go with a 3-4 right away, he wouldn't be my 1st choice. But I wouldn't rule out an open minded 3-4 coach. i don't think we'd have to sacrifice a year to make that switch.

and didn't tuck first get noticed playing on the inside?

i think a good DefCo will assess the talent (or lack thereof) and decide what's right. he makes a 1 year plan and a 2 year plan.

i was never much for these guys who bring in their own system at all costs- so I guess if a DC said 'we have to go with a 3-4 right away, he wouldn't be my 1st choice. But I wouldn't rule out an open minded 3-4 coach. i don't think we'd have to sacrifice a year to make that switch.

I could easily see Tuck (if healthy) transitioning to a 3-4. He reminds me of George Martin in a lot of way.

Osi and Kiwi, maybe not....although Kiwi has played LB.

I totally agree--if a 3-4 coach is willing to play with the personnel we have without dumping them wholesale to fit their scheme, by all means bring them in. I'm just pointing out that we're years away from a 3-4 right now. We're having trouble putting enough backers in place for a 4-3.

Tuck was having an impact on the inside. But he also had Strahan consistently double-teamed, leaving him one on one. That won't happen in a 3-4.

We'd need 7 linebackers of some quality, especially since they'll take more hits in a 3-4. We have one good linebacker right now; Boley, who got dumped when the Falcons switched to a 3-4. Maybe Sintim would develop faster in the 3-4, but that's about it.

that's a pretty sad couple of sentences right there.

We may not have to trade , DeMeco Ryans is a FA in '10

Bet they give Giunta a shot at DC, though I like Waufle for what he's done with the defensive line. Everyone else on the list above is a pipe dream with the exception of maybe 2 candidates.

If they give Giunta a shot at DC, I won't be re-upping my NFL Sunday Ticket.

The secondary was hot garbage this season....all Giunta deserves is a box to clean out his office.

Waufle got nothing from an injured defensive front.....I like him, but he's not my choice for DC.

As for who the new defensive coordinator will be, the most obvious choice would be Dick Jauron, the former Buffalo Bills coach who was Coughlin's defensive coordinator in Jacksonville from 1995-98. He could also attempt to lure Dom Capers, another one of his Jacksonville coordinators, who is currently running the defense in Green Bay.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/04/2010-01-04_sacked_new_york_giants_fire_defensive_coordinator_bill_sheridan.html#ixzz0bhMASqQ3

We may not have to trade , DeMeco Ryans is a FA in '10

the subject was building a 3-4 defense. besides, i really don't trust free agent LB's anymore.

it seems like teams unload their huddled masses on us.

dallas grab a guy like brookings while the giants are futzin around with overpaid lazybums,

something's not right.

If they give Giunta a shot at DC, I won't be re-upping my NFL Sunday Ticket.

The secondary was hot garbage this season....all Giunta deserves is a box to clean out his office.

Waufle got nothing from an injured defensive front.....I like him, but he's not my choice for DC.

I don't think I can put the secondary's problems on Giunta...look who has (and hasn't) been out there on the field, this isn't exactly a bunch of all pros we're talking about. That said...I'm not enthusiastic about Giunta. He's got a good (not great) record as a DB coach...and a suspect record as DC. PLEASE!...not Giunta.

I don't think I can put the secondary's problems on Giunta...look who has (and hasn't) been out there on the field, this isn't exactly a bunch of all pros we're talking about. That said...I'm not enthusiastic about Giunta. He's got a good (not great) record as a DB coach...and a suspect record as DC. PLEASE!...not Giunta.

Anything other than a proven defensive coordinator (e.g., Crennel, Jauron, Capers) would be a big mistake, in my opinion.

I'm tired of watching "the Apprentice" every season.

the subject was building a 3-4 defense. besides, i really don't trust free agent LB's anymore.

it seems like teams unload their huddled masses on us.

dallas grab a guy like brookings while the giants are futzin around with overpaid lazybums,

something's not right.

I don't know any team that would not try to grab up Ryans

besides you said trade for a stud LB and all I said is we might not have to.

I don't know any team that would not try to grab up Ryans

besides you said trade for a stud LB and all I said is we might not have to.

we would need several is my point.- and one of those guys would be expendable in a 3-4.

ryans looks pretty good though. i haven't seen him much