SportsWrath

I was impressed with John Gruden

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

I knew this was coming the moment I read the thread title.

Tom Coughlin--built a team from scratch, turned it into a annual playoff contender. Won a Superbowl. Has the team as one of the top choices for the Superbowl this coming year. Has a team so invigorated that you have to go back to Parcells to find this kind of motivation. Obviously, he must be doing something right.

John Gruden--Takes a team built by GM Rich McKay and made a playoff contender by Tony Dungy, and wins the Superbowl by beating his former team (hmmm....), led by his former Offensive Coordinator (hmmm...). Then proceeds to get McKay fired and destabilize an already weak offense while the defense slowly withers away. Jeff Lurie should send him a bonus check for what he did for the Eagles last year.

He's a decent commentator. So was Matt Millen.

But you're right--the NY Media would love him. So let's throw the winning away so the media has someone they like.

This time we agree completely

Gruden took a playoff caliber team untouched that Tony Dungeon could not win a playoff game with and smashed his way to huge margin victories all the way to the Trophy

What a schuck!!!!!! Then he had the audacity to keep a secondary market team in the playoff hunt with virtually no talent for 6 years........after all of the SB talent had abandoned ship for more money ............SAPPPPPPP comes to mind

also Gruden has done all this with journeymen QBs.........Dungeon finally won a SB with the best QB of this era- Peyton Manning

and don't give me the Tom Brady BS.......we all saw up close and personal how Tom unraveled under pressure and even though he did have a running game.......he mopped the floor with Tom Brady

Gruden had the unmitigated GALL to call out some under achievers.........who sucked.........what a terrible coach Chucky was putting in those 21 hour days for years and years

He should have been out buying donuts for the scout team and kissin everyones ass right down to the equipment manager ..........breaks your heart dosen't it?

LOL

I was waiting for him to say something about Jaws uniform like " I can still see LT's helmet mark "

I hope they replay Jaws' comments about dynamiting the old stadium when we dedicate the new one. :lol: Whats the matter Jaws...spent too much time hurting on the artificial turf..."

Jaws at the snap: "READY...BLUE 49....READY...READY...OH SHIT WHERE THE FUCK IS LT...!?!" :)

This time we agree completely

Gruden took a playoff caliber team untouched that Tony Dungeon could not win a playoff game with and smashed his way to huge margin victories all the way to the Trophy

What a schuck!!!!!! Then he had the audacity to keep a secondary market team in the playoff hunt with virtually no talent for 6 years........after all of the SB talent had abandoned ship for more money ............SAPPPPPPP comes to mind

also Gruden has done all this with journeymen QBs.........Dungeon finally won a SB with the best QB of this era- Peyton Manning

and don't give me the Tom Brady BS.......we all saw up close and personal how Tom unraveled under pressure and even though he did have a running game.......he mopped the floor with Tom Brady

Gruden had the unmitigated GALL to call out some under achievers.........who sucked.........what a terrible coach Chucky was putting in those 21 hour days for years and years

He should have been out buying donuts for the scout team and kissin everyones ass right down to the equipment manager ..........breaks your heart dosen't it?

LOL

:lol: WTF are you bringing up Brady for?

Dungy managed to get them to the NFC Championship in '99, so I guess he had to win a couple playoff games with that team, don'cha think? And he did it in the NFC Central while Favre and Green Bay were still decent, Minnesota was a potent offense--not the sorry NFC South, where the only competition was Carolina every other year for most of the decade. That team was in a position for a few more good runs in the playoffs, and went nowhere.

Unbelievable. Chucky was the only coach in the NFL that put in long hours? Did he get a cookie?

Don't give me the "journeyman QB" crap. He helped make some of those guys journeymen by having the patience of a fruit-fly with QBs.

Complaining about personnel doesn't fly, either. HE's the one that helped get his GM fired, so if he didn't like the drafts he was getting after McKay left, too bad. Then again, considering he was getting players like Gaines Adams and Cato June, he didn't have much to bitch about anyway.

fish- in all fairness- if you're going to bring up the fact that he took over a near super bowl quality team in the bucs, you have to credit him with building the raiders up to a tuck away from the super bowl as well.

with not a lot of marquis talent either.

fish- in all fairness- if you're going to bring up the fact that he took over a near super bowl quality team in the bucs, you have to credit him with building the raiders up to a tuck away from the super bowl as well.

with not a lot of marquis talent either.

Ok, fair enough. But would you take him over Coughlin? That's really my issue here.

Ok, fair enough. But would you take him over Coughlin? That's really my issue here.

no- i don't like his "me" persona. i think he has trouble sharing the spotlight and that's why he doesn't want a talented QB and would rather have a retread. he could change though and he wouldn't be a bad choice.

i am fine with coughlin till he wants to retire- i think we're getting his best right now..

no- i don't like his "me" persona. i think he has trouble sharing the spotlight and that's why he doesn't want a talented QB and would rather have a retread. he could change though and he wouldn't be a bad choice.

i am fine with coughlin till he wants to retire- i think we're getting his best right now..

Agreed, but out of the guys out there that you could wish for the Giants to get (even if you don't like Coughlin), why wouldn't you choose Cowher? Give me Cowher over Gruden any day!

I'm with blu, though, very happy with Coughlin.

Agreed, but out of the guys out there that you could wish for the Giants to get (even if you don't like Coughlin), why wouldn't you choose Cowher? Give me Cowher over Gruden any day!

I'm with blu, though, very happy with Coughlin.

maybe because Cowher is a dip?.........never could stand that guy

I'd rather have Norv Turner than Cowher...........Hell I'd rather have Jim Fassel than Cowher

Fassel had Collins rammed down his throat.........never had full control of his own roster

I would love to see what Fassel would do with this team and a good D co-ordinator like he had in foxy.........Fassel was an offensive genius with no o-line, and a mental midget at QB

I'd rather have Norv Turner than Cowher...........Hell I'd rather have Jim Fassel than Cowher

Fassel had Collins rammed down his throat.........never had full control of his own roster

I would love to see what Fassel would do with this team and a good D co-ordinator like he had in foxy.........Fassel was an offensive genius with no o-line, and a mental midget at QB

Whatever credibility you used to have is definitely gone now. That's just mind-boggling.

honestly

gruden was annoying me, and then he spoke about how much respect he had for coughlin as a coach and a man, and then he kept raving about the giants and eli as a qb and gruden wasnt annoying me anymore and he won me over.

hahah i think i like him purely because he was speaking nicely on our team.

Gruden's praise of Coughlin was refreshing.

Up until then, the media line on Coughlin was "he used to be a hard ass, and struggled, but then he changed his ways, and the team responded." While there is some truth to that statement, it didn't come close to describing Coughlin. This is the same Coughlin that Bill Parcells called "one of the best coaches he's ever been around." The same guy that turned Tiki from a fumble-machine into a MVP runner-up.

It's interesting to see where Coughlin is now, and look at everyone who ever busted his balls.

Gruden's praise of Coughlin was refreshing.

Up until then, the media line on Coughlin was "he used to be a hard ass, and struggled, but then he changed his ways, and the team responded." While there is some truth to that statement, it didn't come close to describing Coughlin. This is the same Coughlin that Bill Parcells called "one of the best coaches he's ever been around." The same guy that turned Tiki from a fumble-machine into a MVP runner-up.

It's interesting to see where Coughlin is now, and look at everyone who ever busted his balls.

Well Joe not to correct you or anyone else....even though Coughlin helped Tiki with the fumbling....O.J. Anderson was the one who taught the Giants players and coaches about how to carry the ball to avoid fumbling. Of course Coughlin picked it up and ran with it. Now I am quite sure if anyone asked where he got the technique he is credited for teaching our current crop of guys including the retired Me Me Barber...I am quite sure he would say that Anderson was where the technique originated from.

Well Joe not to correct you or anyone else....even though Coughlin helped Tiki with the fumbling....O.J. Anderson was the one who taught the Giants players and coaches about how to carry the ball to avoid fumbling. Of course Coughlin picked it up and ran with it. Now I am quite sure if anyone asked where he got the technique he is credited for teaching our current crop of guys including the retired Me Me Barber...I am quite sure he would say that Anderson was where the technique originated from.

We could do worse than Coughlin

Gruden is just more type of guy, and just as strict a disciplinarian BTW

Who was the axx who said Gruden could not develop QBs.......what QB did he have to develop Phil Simm's kid??

Give me a friggen break........Gruden should have gone after Jesse or Lorenzen......both those guys had enormous upside but never got legit shots

Lorenzen had a quick release and cannon arm..........I don't care about fat.......he actually moved well and had good footwork

I believe Fassel had control of the roster, he just didn't know what to do with it. Fassel would have this team screwing up just like his last one, and I actually like the guy. He just was not up to par.

I believe Fassel had control of the roster, he just didn't know what to do with it. Fassel would have this team screwing up just like his last one, and I actually like the guy. He just was not up to par.

I dont think it was all Fassel

The players at the time lacked confidence and that's an invitation to the Yips

Having said that with Foxy at the DC we went to the SB with Fassel.........Coughlin would never have sniffed the SB without Spags

Coaching like playing is a team effort

Jim did not set the record for SB INTs .........Lurch put right between the weird numbers of the Baltimore defenders

It was a weird year 2000/2001 for more reasons than just football.......then the strangest game of all time in SFO a few years later sealed Fassel's fate

I just don't like Cowher.....he looks like some kind of mutant