SportsWrath

All time Yankee team for the last 35 years

Chuck Wagon

Position Players

rf P. O'Neil (like to put Sweet Lou in there...can't)

cf M. Rivers (I know..it should be Bernie but fuck it..Mickey tried to spike the Moon Unit in the face in a 78' brawl...and that is a can do attitude you need...plus I hate the Moon Unit that much even now}

lf. Roy White....most underrated Yankee of all time.

3b C. Nettles....when A cock does something after September...like single handily saving a series with his glove, it'll be him..in the mean time - I take the super prick with the leather, the 32 a year dingers...and the bad, bad perm. He was a massive asshole...which gets extra points...fuck George Brett.

ss. Jeter..and he'd be the one if it were the best Yankee team of all time.

2b Willie Randolph. Hands down....best glove and nails in the box.

1b Like to go C. Chambliss..but can't Donny Baseball....totally starcrossed and fucked. 94" was his year. I get sick in my stomach thinking about his career.

C. Munson...nobody else even close. Other the Yogi...nobody better..not Dickey..not Elston and those cats could ball..and fuck Fisk and his momma too. Not a patch on Thrumans huge, huge ass.

DH. Reggie Jax.

Rh Starter Coney..sorry catfish..and Fuck you Clemens.

Lh Starter Gator.

Set up man....Dick Tidrow....I know...trust me...its that fat boy.

Closer........Goose....different era...different time...fucking Monster.....if he played today, they'd have to rename the role the Gossage instead of closer. I know you'll want to go Marino...sorry...he'd be the Goose's back up.

and with that...lest see Gardner get on base...and shit kid...learn to bunt for christ sakes.

C. Wagon.

Close, but no cigar.

I’ll give you Munson, O’Neil, Jeter, Randolf and Nettles. Guidry and Cone, too, though I’m still pissed at Cone for not letting Showalter pull him out of the game in the ‘95 playoff against Seattle, which probably cost us the WS.

1b is the hard one. But, assuming this is prime time, I’ll probably go with Mattingly over Teix.

For CF, I gotta go with Bernie for sheer numbers.

LF goes to Winfield.

DH is Ricky Henderson without a doubt.

Closer? Mo. My 2nd would be Lyle. Fuckin’ Goose gave up the pine tar homer to Brett.

Set up. Okay, the Goose, but only because I don’t remember Righetti too much.

Manager? Yogi. Me thinks he got the shaft both times he was let go.

Close, but no cigar.

I’ll give you Munson, O’Neil, Jeter, Randolf and Nettles. Guidry and Cone, too, though I’m still pissed at Cone for not letting Showalter pull him out of the game in the ‘95 playoff against Seattle, which probably cost us the WS.

1b is the hard one. But, assuming this is prime time, I’ll probably go with Mattingly over Teix.

For CF, I gotta go with Bernie for sheer numbers.

LF goes to Winfield.

DH is Ricky Henderson without a doubt.

Closer? Mo. My 2nd would be Lyle. Fuckin’ Goose gave up the pine tar homer to Brett.

Set up. Okay, the Goose, but only because I don’t remember Righetti too much.

Manager? Yogi. Me thinks he got the shaft both times he was let go.

Ricky...LOL...I forgot about him.

Hadn't thought of Managers....Got to go with Billy.

C. Wagon

Ricky...LOL...I forgot about him.

Hadn't thought of Managers....Got to go with Billy.

C. Wagon

I think Billy was in on the conspiracy that got Yogi fired the 2nd time.

cf M. Rivers (I know..it should be Bernie but fuck it..Mickey tried to spike the Moon Unit in the face in a 78' brawl...and that is a can do attitude you need...plus I hate the Moon Unit that much even now}

What was that all about? I don't remember.

I think Billy was in on the conspiracy that got Yogi fired the 2nd time.

What was that all about? I don't remember.

Nah...Billy would not do a Teammate.....Bill Vinton....or Bob Lemon...in a heartbeat.

Bill Lee...sorry, he was called the "Spaceman".

Here is the incident from Wiki...I can't find the video though.

Lee separated his left shoulder during a brawl that occurred between the Red Sox and the New York Yankees on May 20, 1976, after Yankee Lou Piniella ran over Red Sox catcher Carlton Fisk in a play at home plate. Lee initially blamed the injury on Yankee third baseman Graig Nettles. However, after he had a chance to see the fight on video tape, Lee apologized to Nettles. Subsequently, he blamed Yankee manager Billy Martin for encouraging the Yankees players to be confrontational.[2] During an interview with Tom Caron after his Red Sox Hall of Fame induction, Lee revealed he carries Nettles's baseball card in his wallet, explaining, "I keep this in here so that Nettles's face is always up against the back of my ass no matter where I go."

If you look at the video...Mickey was running around the outside of the pile kicking the heel of his foot into the the pile. I think he actually cut Oscar Gamble.

Anyway...epic fight and one of the reason Mickey was always depised in Bean town. ...and one of the many reasons he is one of my favorites. After this you will very rarely see a pic of Mick without a batting helmet when they would play in Fenway.

C. Wagon .

• 1 month later...

lf. Roy White....most underrated Yankee of all time.

Amen to that....and one of the classiest, too. Which wasn't easy in the Bronx Zoo days.

But as someone who saw Goose and Rivera, I've got to go with Rivera. I can't think of a player in pro sports, much less baseball, that is as close to automatic as Rivera.

Amen to that....and one of the classiest, too. Which wasn't easy in the Bronx Zoo days.

But as someone who saw Goose and Rivera, I've got to go with Rivera. I can't think of a player in pro sports, much less baseball, that is as close to automatic as Rivera.

I agree- not even close. I would say Rivera is the best closer ever, followed closely by Hoffman and then Eckersley.

Mariano Rivera is hands down the greatest relief pitcher of all time(and he is still the best today)...and really, its not even close. Like JMFP said, Ive never seen anyone so automatic for such a long time. Sure guys have gone on nice runs, but not 15 straight years of complete and utter domination...and with 1 pitch no less. The guy is simply amazing. I would not be surprised to find out that he is actually an alien.

I was just reading that one and as the prosecutors argued, the bottles were labeled saying good luck. Next time he should be more specific like:

"Good luck going back where you came from"

See now that might have shaved 200 hrs and a year probation off the sentencing. Rush Limbaugh would have him on the show.

:)

No mention of Reberto Kelly... One of my all time favorite Yankees. :(

Oneil was a great right fielder, but I'd tap Bobby Murcer for the spot. Tough call.

C - Muson. Hit in the clutch like no other player, let alone catcher

1b - yeah...Mattingly when in his prime. His swing was a work of art and his glove was incredible

2b - no contest, the Yanks never had a second basemen like Willie. Total class of a guy and a magic man with the glove

ss - again, no contest - Jetes

3b - tough call...personally, I'd go with A-rod even though I loved Nettles and even Pags made his mark as did Boggs. My memories of Nettles was watching him strike out nearly everytime he got a slider. But they couldn't get a fastball by him. His fielding was stellar because he played 6 feet deeper than any other 3rd basemen.

LF - I too think Roy White was vastly underrated, but my pick is Winnie hands down

CF - I loved Mick-the-Quick and his batton twirling bat, but Rickey Henderson was probably the best CF the Yanks had even though he wasn't in his prime and it was only for a couple of years

RF - as I pointed out at the top....Bobby Murcer - one of my favorite Yankees of all time!

RhDH - Don Baylor

LhDH - Reggie

-----

RHP - Coney was the Michelangelo of pitchers who had at least 5 pitches and as many as 7 - a technician of pitching like none other.

LHP - Gator! But my heart wants to say Tommy John and I really liked Jimmy Key - but in the end, Gator hands down

Closer - Mo (sorry Goose, Mo is the man)

Manager: Billy

I can't believe that I'm the only one who think Bobby Murcer belongs on the list as the right fielder. Maybe I'm just being too sentimental, but he always seemed to come through when it was needed the most.

he was definitley underrated, but with the guys the yankees have had, he gets lost in the shuffle...but he was a very good player.

I can't believe that I'm the only one who think Bobby Murcer belongs on the list as the right fielder. Maybe I'm just being too sentimental, but he always seemed to come through when it was needed the most.

i hated him as a giant and was pissed that he was traded for bobby bonds.

i hated him as a giant and was pissed that he was traded for bobby bonds.

I'm sure the feeling was mutual in NY. I, for one, didn't start liking Bonds until, while playing RF, he cut off an errant throw off from Munson. He didn't get the runner going to 3rd, but the effort was there. I was then pissed when we let him go the next year.

O'Neil was as clutch as they came, though Murcer had a knack for bringing home that run from 3rd even when he was in a deep slump.

I know this really doesn't rate a category, but really, who gives a shit?

Best utility infielder: Luis Sojo.

Ugliest swing I've ever seen... sojo.jpg ... and a body that belonged in a bowling alley, not a ballpark.

But damn, that guy was so clutch. And I there wasn't a position he couldn't play.

As a Met fan, I'm heartbroken that 1) the Mets ever let Cone go, and 2) that Yankees fans now call him one of their own. Coney will always be a Met to me. He really was terrific, and the day the Mets traded him was one of the worst days I've ever had as a Met fan... and that's saying something. The Mets got a future HOF second baseman for him though (Jeff Kent) but ended up trading him for Carlos Baerga and Alviro Espinoza... before Kent's prime, and after Baerga's. <smacks forehead>

Love David Cone. Still one of my favorite pitchers of all time, probably THE favorite.

As a Met fan, I'm heartbroken that 1) the Mets ever let Cone go, and 2) that Yankees fans now call him one of their own. Coney will always be a Met to me. He really was terrific, and the day the Mets traded him was one of the worst days I've ever had as a Met fan... and that's saying something. The Mets got a future HOF second baseman for him though (Jeff Kent) but ended up trading him for Carlos Baerga and Alviro Espinoza... before Kent's prime, and after Baerga's. <smacks forehead>

Love David Cone. Still one of my favorite pitchers of all time, probably THE favorite.

I agree....he was a surgeon.