SportsWrath

Other Giant news and notes

Lughead

New York Giants nearly had deal worked out on draft day to select WR Jeremy Maclin

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Tuesday April 28, 2009, 9:08 PM

Rahul Coutinho/MCTBefore the Eagles selected Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin (left), the Giants were in the process of moving up to try and select the speedy receiver.

NOTEBOOK The Giants said they didn't trade up in the first round of this past weekend's draft because they didn't want to reach for a wide receiver.

It turns out they were closer to reaching -- and to a different player -- than they let on.

Before drafting North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks with their own pick at No. 29, the Giants had worked out the parameters of a trade with the Lions to move up to the 20th pick, according to someone briefed on the negotiations between the two teams.

The person, who requested anonymity because the Giants don't discuss war-room talks publicly, didn't divulge what was being offered to Detroit but said the trade was contingent on Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin's being available for the Giants to select at that spot.

The plan was nixed when the Eagles, probably sensing the Lions were shopping their pick, jumped up two spots to No. 19 (by giving the Browns a sixth-round selection) to pick Maclin, whom they hadn't considered a possible target because they didn't expect him to fall that far. It's unclear if Philly knew its division rival was the team getting ready to pounce on Maclin.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese declined comment when asked about the proposed trade. The person informed of the negotiations with Detroit said the Eagles trading up for the speedy Maclin wasn't a devastating blow for the Giants, as they were pleased to still get Nicks, whom they graded only slightly lower than Maclin.

The Lions ended up with Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

In other news, the Giants were awarded CB Brandon Sumrall off waivers from the Colts.

Defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan met with reporters for the first time since being promoted from LB coach. Sheridan dropped a few tidbits about his defensive plans: He'll be in the box, not on the sideline, during games; the defense will be more "streamlined" with fewer looks than Steve Spagnuolo's schemes; he won't ask his pass rushers to drop into coverage on zone blitzes as often; and rookie LB Clint Sintim (second round) will have his hand in the grass as a pass rusher on third downs.

Center Shaun O'Hara, a Rutgers alum, on the school's record of five players drafted this past weekend: I wouldn't say shocked, but excited, happy for the program. It says a lot about Greg Schiano and the job he's done in not only recruiting athletes but developing them."

The Giants' rookie-pool allotment to sign their nine draft picks was set at $4,867,462.

...I do NOT like the sound of Bill Sheridan.

Defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan met with reporters for the first time since being promoted from LB coach. Sheridan dropped a few tidbits about his defensive plans: He'll be in the box, not on the sideline, bad during games; the defense will be more "streamlined" with fewer looks than Steve Spagnuolo's schemes; bad he won't ask his pass rushers to drop into coverage on zone blitzes as often; bad and rookie LB Clint Sintim (second round) will have his hand in the grass as a pass rusher on third downs.

Except for the Sintim thing, which is a push, that all sounds bad. I hope the talent of our D can make up for what seems like a MUCH less innovative scheme.

Or, let's hope this is all just a smokescreen. :TU:

Why?

Well, I feel like the Giants defense responded so well to Spagnuolo because he matched their intensity. How does someone get any kind of feel for the game, the players on the field, the atmosphere on the field, etc by sitting in a press box? Is Sheridan old as balls? Because that's the only reason why a coach shouldn't be on the field...he's got assistants that can sit in a box and look at defensive formations from above.

Also, our linebackers certainly could not cover anyone man to man LAST year...why limit zone coverages....especially when we've been using lots of zone blitzes lately...it's good to drop back in coverage every now and then.

While I agree you can never have enough pass rushers, at what point do we start teaching linebackers...you know, the linebacker position...? All the young guys we draft get put into Justin Tuck and Matthias Kiwanuka situations where they only see the field on 3rd down 4 or 5 times a game...and don't get me wrong because Tuck and Kiwanuka have obviously turned into good players, it's just that I'd like to see us focus someone to take over at linebacker, not just play 3rd down because he can rush the passer.

Why would we streamline anything? We've had two of the best defensive units in the NFL under Spagnuolo...

I think it all comes down to how comfortable he is and the players are with him, whether it be in the box or on the field. I'm curious if he stays up there a whole season. I can only think of two occasions where dropping the pass rusher into coverage worked for us. I'd rather they go all out after the QB because its widely accepted by everyone here that our linebackers can't cover.

What worked with Spagnuolo might just not work with Sheridan. Remember when John Fox left and Johnnie Lynn pretty much kept the same defense in place...that was a fun season wasn't it.

I'm curious to see what Sheridan can do and personally, I like the coordinators on the field too.

Except for the Sintim thing, which is a push, that all sounds bad. I hope the talent of our D can make up for what seems like a MUCH less innovative scheme.

Or, let's hope this is all just a smokescreen. :TU:

Yeah it sounds a little like Rod Rust speak there.....shit he was the last D coordinator other than Lewis who stayed in the box. I want my D coordinators on the fucking sideline where they belong. I do think the zone blitz should die a quiet death. but the other stuff is a bit anxiety provoking.