SportsWrath

ramses barden highlights

Herc

• 2 weeks later...
i think when you look at some of the catches he is making in the end zone highlights you can assume he has no problem with the type of fade routes we run. its a very important question though, if he can be the kind of threat in the red zone that he looks like in this video then we will go a long way towards replacing burress' impact on our offense

Height withstanding, it's more than likely he'll be a redshirt as a rookie.

And while it's exciting to see him look so initimidating on tape, the jump ball is a pretty low percentage play as it is (though it works 100% of the time in his highlight reel), especially against NFL defensive backs. My concern is Barden's ability to add to his repetroire; right now, he runs a really limited number of routes and doesn't seem to generate a lot of separation.

It is encouraging that Reese saw fit to trade up for him. I just hope we didn't fall in love with Ramses solely because he vaguely resembles Plax and has a matching Egyptian name. In the end, it's better to have someone good than someone tall ... hopefully that was one of Reese's considerations.

reese was saing on the radio that they like guys who dominate crappy competition like boss. 50 tds fits that criteria for sure, but i never even heard of him before the draft

I don't take issue with his level of competition. It doesn't mean he can't play, it just means it will take longer for him to impact (though there are rare exceptions like Marques Colston), which is why I'm anticipating a quiet rookie season from him...not unlike James Hardy last season.

Even against lower competition, you can still see a lot of flaws in his game. He's gonna need a lotta time to develop...

if we can put him in on red zone plays i'd consider that a very successful rookie season

Judging by the WR's ahead of him, he's probably going to be a healthy scratch most weeks. Smith, Hixon, Manningham, Nicks are all in front of him. Possibly Moss as well. And Tyree's contributions on specials would warrant a uniform on gameday ahead of him, too. Being potentially useful in the red zone really isn't enough to put him on the field instead of Tyree or an 8th DL or a 4th RB or 7th LB that plays on all ST units...

Judging by the WR's ahead of him, he's probably going to be a healthy scratch most weeks. Smith, Hixon, Manningham, Nicks are all in front of him. Possibly Moss as well. And Tyree's contributions on specials would warrant a uniform on gameday ahead of him, too. Being potentially useful in the red zone really isn't enough to put him on the field instead of Tyree or an 8th DL or a 4th RB or 7th LB that plays on all ST units...

If the guy gave us an advantage in the red zone, I'd scratch a tight end.

But basically what you said highlights the fact about Moss. They really need to make a decision in camp about him. He offers nothing that any of the wide receivers don't have, but he's always done well in camp, so he's forever teasing the team about his ability. Do you edge out a guy like Barden for the long waiting "promise" of Moss?. It's a very interesting call.

But basically what you said highlights the fact about Moss. They really need to make a decision in camp about him. He offers nothing that any of the wide receivers don't have, but he's always done well in camp, so he's forever teasing the team about his ability. Do you edge out a guy like Barden for the long waiting "promise" of Moss?. It's a very interesting call.

Didn't they have a former WR that was always a camp Giant amongst boys. I can't remember his name, but no way in the world should we keep Moss/Loss.

if the staff feels barden is a threat in the red zone in year 1 i see no reason to make him inactive in favor of moss

I agree. Moss will do very little for us anyway. Might as well take a shot with him in the redzone if nothing else.

Entering a game with only two active TEs is a risky proposition; if one gets hurts, then you can't really use any 2-TE sets. They could insert a back-up OT at TE, but no one would respect him in the passing game. Plaxico Burress himself caught 0 TDs as a rookie (and he was a top-10 pick). I really wouldn't expect much better from Barden, even if he suits up (which seems unlikely) ... especially since our success rate on fades is something like 1.2%...

if the staff feels barden is a threat in the red zone in year 1 i see no reason to make him inactive in favor of moss

I just don't see him getting a uniform so that he can impact 5-10 plays in a game. Dressing a 5th-6th WR who doesn't/won't contribute on specials generally isn't justifiable. If he outplays the other WRs, then sure, he'll be out there. But if his sole specialty is being tall, it won't be enough to activate him on gamedays.

Moss will probably be a healthy scratch most weeks as well, if he sticks...

time to turn loose of Moss regardless.

if the choice is between the 2 of them, scratch Moss. I'll take unproven potential over "used to be" potential any day

They'll go with the guy who can contribute more. And there's a pretty long list of post-hype guys that made major strides after they were dismissed as busts; among them, Amani Toomer. Moss will have a chance to cement his role in training camp and preseason just as Barden and Nicks will have their opportunities to supplant him, so it's silly to make any proclaimations several months in advance. You never know what can happen once they lace 'em up...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. It's been a little while. A lot of work and baseball season with the Mets. Needed a few minutes away from baseball. I'm not angry or disappointed with the way they have been playing. They don't have the horses right now and are doing the best they can. A bit of a helpless feeling to tell you the truth. But I digress. I liked this Barden pick when I first heard about it. He may very well be a long term project but the size and athletic ability he possesses is exactly the kind of flyer you want to see the Giants take. If he can contribute at some point in red zone situations and make a few plays, I would deem it a success. I'm looking forward to a Berman call on a Barden touchdown. I bet he will find a way to be very creative with the biblical references and the like.

yes he has size and good hands....I am also anxious to see ELI where there is NO ONE that he will be forced to throw the ball to. He is the veteran now and they can do as he tells them.

This is one of the biggest thing and I am glad you brought this up.

Eli has made advancements when a veteran player(s) have left.

When Tiki left he picked up his game, Shockey, Strahan and

Now Plax and Toomer are gone.

This is totally his team now. He doesnt have any obligation to

throw to anyone except the open receiver and with all

participating in OTA's and camp I too can't wait !

This is Eli's team he is the veteran now!